Mindshred's WIP Bayou Board

Mason

Hello everyone!

I'm starting construction on a bayou board for my local game store and thought that it might be neat to chronicle my progress in a thread.

So far, I've begun construction on the four gremlin shacks that I plan to have as moveable terrain. The first is finished but not painted, while the second is still in need of its roof and front door (and thus I didn't bother to take a good picture of it just yet).

Lynch decided to pose out front just to give everyone a sense of scale.

Shack1_zpsfc38804d.jpg?t=1372985789

Shack2_zps3f4a0b75.jpg?t=1372985807

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues!

I've got the foam cut - my first time using a hot wire cutter - and glued to the board, and coated with a layer of white glue which (hopefully) will keep it from being utterly dissolved by the spray paint that is the next step.

go9t.jpg

rwhf.jpg

I need to get some more wooden craft sticks to start building bridges...

oxmi.jpg

Oh, and some work-in-progress giant mushrooms. They're still a bit aways from being finished, but I thought that I would snap a quick picture and toss it up.

If you are worried about the spray paint eating away at the board, you could always buy a small pot of indoor latex paint. You can buy it in whatever color you were going to use and save a step as well.

This is where it gets interesting. Scenery is great, but seeing how people make boards makes me most excited. Will you be using some kind of water effect on the recessed areas?

Yup!

That step is a bit down the line still, but I've got it already picked out and sitting on the table for when the time comes.

Exciting! I love seeing how people make boards. I've wanted to make one for myself for years, but have never actually been able to.

Will you be using a clear resin for the rivers? I've seen some brilliant results that way, with a few sacrificed paintbrushes to make tufts of reeds.

Will you be using a clear resin for the rivers? I've seen some brilliant results that way, with a few sacrificed paintbrushes to make tufts of reeds.

That is the plan.

I've got four of my six bridges finished and should have the other two done tomorrow. I'll take some quick pictures before I set down to stain them and the shacks.

The bridges are finished, so I tossed everything that's half-done onto the table to see how it looked. The board itself is still very brown, as I haven't added any vegetation or water effects to it or the mushroom trees yet. Similarly, the huts and bridges are very bright because I haven't yet stained them. It's so very Work In Progress.

I need to find a few flat rocks to base and use as terrain, I think.

Anyways, pictures:

23lf.jpg

1inr.jpg

b3qr.jpg

ya1s.jpg

EDIT: I think I might drop one of the three bridges in a group there, now that I've looked at it from a new perspective.

Edited by Mindshred

Progress!

I've done quite a bit since the last update, so in order:

I finished staining the huts and bridges:

b49o.jpg

73kq.jpg

First, I gave the river bottom a rough layer of green paint:

7hij.jpg

Then, I added rocks to the bottom of the river and went over the whole board with some foliage:

ttmk.jpg

zt7x.jpg

I've *just* poured the water effects on, so once that's finished setting I'll have some pictures of what it looks like with an actual river.

Superb board! :)

I'm a real sucker when it comes to a decent scenery setup so consider me subbed to this thread! :) Looking forward to seeing how the water effect comes out!

P.s any chance of a quick 'how ya did it' for the water effect too as I'm thinking about my next board and haven't used water effect yet! :)

Thanks!

When it comes to the water effects, I basically cheated.

5b5ec4cd-1f10-49d1-b193-7397092d66b5_300.jpg

Mix Bottle A with Bottle B and pour it into place where water needs to be.

The board is more or less finished!

The water effects turned out pretty well:

dlk3.jpg

fvzu.jpg

I added some lichen to the riverbanks, which should serve as some decent soft cover.

yf1c.jpg

I've moved on to working on terrain, which I'll continue to update in this thread as I go.