Sculpting flames

Boshea

So for something unrelated to that Neverborn I'm painting I'm looking at doing a fairly scenic base. Mostly looking at doing a piece of rubble with flames coming up around. The problem though is I have no idea how to sculpt fire. So any help/tutorials would be great.

Easy solution is the flame accesory pack, but I don't know if I'd be able to get it in time (through direct order or FLGS), and this is for a 25mm base.

One of the original 3 chronicles had a decent fire sculpting tutorial I believe....not sure which one.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

I don't believe it's very difficult because they don't have to be 'perfect' or uniform.......the more chaos the better.

I always found that grabbing the top of the flame with a pair of tweezers and pulling was quite good for stretching and twisting the flames. And it will either pull the lump off when you remove the tweezers, or you can cut it off at the end. I'll see if I can find the guide I had for it lying around

I think the last time I did that, I started out by making a wire armature that was a little curved and sculpted it basically like messy hair (lots of lines).

If there's some other flames in your crew, you'll need to make sure the style matches, but otherwise there's a lot of different ways you can sculpt it.

Huh, seems the guide I had basically says to glue a blob in place and smooth the edges onto the surface you want the fire to be on, then use lubed tweezers to pull and twist the flames up. Not amazingly thorough, the chronicle one might well be more useful!

I would agree with Mako's method. It is similar to how I did my Flame Wall marker for Feora (though instead of using tweezers I used a regular old metal sculpting tool and a stab and pull method).

The biggest advice I would give though is to be sure to let the epoxy set up a bit before making flames, it really makes things easier and helps the effect.

Edited by Omenbringer