advice on what size terrain

Kuffdaddy

I have been collecting and modeling the Malifaux models for a while now and finally decided to start playing going to buy two crews that work well with starters( TY pull my finger).

Now that I am building a table for my games, what size terrain I was going to go with two part pieces so I can have area terrain and solo pieces. I was think 3-6" odd shape circles, 3-4" kidney bean, 2-12" hills, 3-6" swamps, 6-1"x6" fences, and use the terraclips I have for buildings.

Is this a good Base for my terrain starting collection? or would you drop something in lieu of something else?

Thanks

The J

The rules say you should have 2-4 pieces per square foot, but don't specify what size or what kind. That means 18-36 total pieces on the board.

I usually put it together, then kind of eyeball it, and if it looks like there's not enough terrain, count. I kinda figure if you have bigger terrain, there should be closer to 18 pieces, and if you have smaller terrain, then there should be closer to 36 pieces.

No worries this is sort of a throw back to the original version of the Malifaux book in which things like this were called "element terrain". I kind of wish the rules for Elements would have migrated over to the 1.5 edition (along with the method of placing terrain!).

It still works similarly in the new version, just with a lot smaller area of effect (in the first edition the element extended its effect out to an 1" from its base).

The rules say you should have 2-4 pieces per square foot, but don't specify what size or what kind. That means 18-36 total pieces on the board.

The recomendation on page 64 of the Rules Manual is a minimum of 3 inch by 3 inch. Though I agree with the just eyeballing it. Also, when you are first starting out you probably want to tailor your terrain more to the crews. For example, having a sniper character and high terrain or a slow crew and a lot of blocking terrain can both cause frustration.

The new Gaining Grounds also includes a 'King of the Hill' scenario, so a hill which would be suitable for that would be useful. It is specified as being a hill which can accommodate 2 x 50mm bases on the top, with equal access from all sides. The alternative to a hill (for tournament organisers) is a an imaginary circle of 6" radius around a 50mm base - whether this suggests that the hill should be this size is your call.

First suggestion is look at you storage. I find it frustrating to have terrain that I can't put away easily.

For forests I like to store them in a card box, so 3 inches wide is my limit, but I make them longers and of shapes that will fit.

I've got a whole bunch of walls that fit in other card boxes.

I used to make colapsabe buldings , but they are not Malifaux friendly. I recently started to make small buildings,but again designed them for in storage boxes. Broken buildings are a pet peeve of mine.

I also have box full of crates, bushes, and other small items that ad flavour and cover points.

Yeah for buildings,I, plan on using the terra clip building set they are singularly awesome IMO. And after I learn the rules we can add playing inside them as well, now some of you have mentioned the 1.5 book is this a more current version than the mini rule book for fifteen dollars. I don't want to learn the rules from the mini book if they are dated less confusion the better

I don't want to learn the rules from the mini book if they are dated less confusion the better

The minis rules manual is the safest place to look for rules. The only things its missing is the avatar rules from book 3 , dual faction rules from book 4, and the scheme for the new masters. After that its complete.

There are some subtle wording diffierences and more substantial items from the errata docs included in the newer 1.5 edition of the Malifaux book that are not contained in the Mini Rules Manual.

Though you can get by with the Mini-rulebook (or the heavily redacted free online version) I would definitely recommend grabbing the newer 1.5 edition of the book if the budget allows.