Heading back through the Breach and looking at Ramos.

Zombie Kitt

Wotcha.

Having taken a bit of a hiatus from Malifaux, I'm keen to get back to playing a bit and seeing about getting some local action going. I played Ressers pretty exclusively before, and want a bit of a new experience as running Kirai, whilst fun, did feel a bit like I was cheating.

So I've had a wee dig in my cases and lo-and-behold, there's a pretty nicely painted Ramos crew staring up at me. The current tally stands thus :

Ramos

6 magnetised Steampunk Arachnids

Joss

Mobile Toolkit

Brass Arachnid

Soulstone Miner.

Not a bad leg up really, but I do feel that it lacks a certain oomph.

I love Steampunk Arachnids and the Brass Arachnid is one of my favourite models ever, so I'd like to stay true to them. In my limited Ramos experience the Soulstone Miner seemed pretty useful in most situations, and more importantly I like his paintjob, so he's something else I'm keen to put on the table.

I have issues with Joss, and like a beat-stick in a list. I am convinced he's good in theory (never put him on the table though) but he's a fair chunk of stones. I'd be interested to see if there are any Joss-die-hards out there who can show me how he's worth his cost as again, I love the miniature and like his paint job. Also, I can't abide Johan so there's limited synergy there, and I also dislike the Rail Golem which appears to be Joss' main competition.

Is Kaeris viable in a spidery Ramos list ? She's a gorgeous sculpt and I quite fancy painting her, but I am aiming to be a bit more savvy in my buying this time around.

Large Steampunk Arachnids seem to be a quality choice, so I'll pick up one or two of them for sure.

A gunsmith for a little ranged poke looks like an avenue worth exploring. Particularly as my best results with Ramos are when I've not Manifested, and just ambled the old man up the board zapping things as I went.

So that's where I am and my thoughts at the moment. I've not played since pre 10T, so I'd love to hear how Ramos is holding up in the current environment, if there are any combos or synergies that Ramos players are enjoying and particularly if anyone is doing OK playing Ramos without his Avatar.

Cheers

Hello

Kaeris can work very well in a list with spiders, as she can blow them up to give enemies burning counters, and she needs models to have burning counters to work.

As long as you can get the counters onto enemies, she can deal plenty of damage.

Beatsticks

Joss can be decent. His ability to reactivate is ok, as is unignorable armour against certain crews. Ramos can heal him which helps making the reactivate a useful choice. The problem is he lacks anything really impressive. He isn't all that fast, so its rare you'll get to Flurry. His Defense is good, but he doesn't have any defenses before he activates, and 8 wounds will only take you so far.

Since you don't like the sculpts I'll bypass Johan and the Rail golem with nothing more than saying their rules are good.

The Mechanical rider can do decent damage, but again isn't all that durable. It is mobile which can be very helpful.

The Corephyee duet doesn't have huge damage output, but is amazingly fast and has great stats.

The steamborg executioner looks good, but is so much of a threat that he almost never gets to do anything.

The Blessed of December is surprisingly fast with good attacks and healing.

The Slate ridge mauler is slow, but has good attacks, and gets better as he gets hurt.

The Guardian isn't really a beat down, but is something to consider. His shield is very useful against opposing masters and other high defense models.

The Large Steampunk Arachnid is the cheapest model on this list, and does a good job in melee. It is a nice mid point between a normal arachnid and a swarm in capabilities.

The Steamborg looks really good.

Decent speed, melee expert and Flurry for when you really need something dead.

Paired claws with good Cb and a weak damage of 4.

2 good triggers.

Mobile obscuring aura, terrifying and armour. Its not even that low a df for a big melee model.

And yet somehow it just doesn't seem to get its 10ss worth on the table (well at least when I've used it). I keep meaning to get Ramos back out and properly learn how to use him. When I do, I'll probably get this back out and see what I've learnt since I last used him.

I really like the steamborg... he does grab a lot of attention, so I've had more success when I use something else to draw the enemy out a little. His Knock Aside trigger has been fantastic on a couple of occasions for me, lets him at models which the opponent thought were out of reach (and its hilarious when you throw a witchling into a flame wall... ) I've generally had more success with him than Joss; he covers ground faster than Joss and is more survivable.

I'd dusted off my Steamborg a few months back, as I had made the mistake of thinking he was unstoppable a few too many times before. Having a ton of spiders out there to out activate my opponents (for the most part) so that I could be more selective in applying this beatstick certainly helped. Having Ramos (striving to manifest), Kaeris, and the Electrical Creation (I think I also had Alyce in this list​) all out there to pull fire kept the Steamborg safe from the usual hail of gunfire.

After my wub-wub Electrical Creation took out an army of puppets, Steamborg Hank tried to chase down the fleeing Colodi. It was amusing. On the other side of the table the Vikies and Hoffman were slugging it out. Multiplayer games, even before the new rules for them can be quite interesting.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Also consider running Kang. He's a fun food source for keeping Kaeris hale and healthy, and he rarely notices the tickle of the 1 wd from her.

I have had good success with Kaeris and Ramos. But I wouldn't bother in a avatar list...so she may do well for you.

The LSA is a great model...pretty decent stats all round and decent damage output. I find them very useful to my plans...and they drop a load of stones for Ramos.

I absolutely love the Mechanical rider. She really helps with grabbing objectives and her damage is potent too.

Never tried Joss...he just looked way too slow. Maybe in a strategy where you know the enemy will be running up to you he might have some value.