To writers who happen to also venture into Space Marines and GW,

i_was_like_you

GW has apparently tried to crack down on any usage of the term space marine. Which, in nautical terms, would be exactly what soldiers on board a ship, in this case a space ship​ would be called.

http://boingboing.net/2013/02/06/games-workshop-trademark-bully.html

Looks like I can still market my many and divers stories about Interstellar Soldiers™, if I had any.

Time to go swap out some words in my screenplay with "Orbital Conflicters".

As cool as that name sounds, it does seem limiting to only be in orbit :-P

Yes, should I decided to create a story about troops aboard a space ship they would either need to be Space Grenadiers, or Cosmic Marines.... and that has some strange ideas popping now :D

How about Cosmic Grenadiers?

Look, since Apple's lawsuit against Samsung came down to rectangles with rounded corners and was for billions of dollars, there's a precedent for trademarking that could have them retcon every instance of the term space marine ever printed anywhere, chasing after every penny that might have been made off of their supposed intellectual property.

[Let's hope Deadlands doesn't chase after Malifaux for any similarities between Ghost Rock and Soulstones, or anything else that a Western horror steampunk game might have in common.