Competitive Guild 2013

mythicFOX

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a difficult time with Sidir as well. So far it seems that his best use is to hang out with a couple Riflemen...his range is about the same and he can protect them with his better melee.

I'm also having a tough time with Wastrels to be honest. I'm too used to tougher models I think. The Marshals and Stalkers generally hit harder and are more survivable while in the danger zone. The Wastrels are very frail and don't hit hard enough to kill things....so after their attack, they generally die. Their low WP and DF are a real problem for me.

I can see taking one for objective grabbing, but that's all I can get them to do. I generally prefer multi-function models....Marshals can shoot, and make decent road blocks with their H2W and S2D - not bad in melee in a pinch, especially with finish the job up.....Stalkers can melee, shoot, do anti-magic, blow-up.

What is it that makes the Wastrel better? What am I doing wrong with them? What's their use.......how do you play them? I'm suffering some kind of mental block with them.

Jonas, I know you're having a love-affair with them....what do you focus on doing with them?

Nix, I've seen you getting some use out of them....any advice?

Edited by dgraz

On Ramses earlier question about the Oiran, I do not see them as amazing models for guild. Yes, lure is a really great ability and one that has been lacking from guild, but Guild players have learned to work around this over time. I think this mindset among established guild players combined with the slot they are filling (the 4/5 ss slot), there are other models I can see being grabbed in place of the Oiran almost every time. I am sure that over time there will be ways they are added to crews that make them worthwhile.

On Wastrel's, these guys are great. I have not gotten my actual models painted and on the table yet, but have faced them a fair amount. I really see 3 roles for these guys that work really well.

Role 1 - objective grabber. Between secret passage, petrified feather, and Earth's elixir these guys make great objective grabbers. They are fast and either REALLY resilient for a turn with Earths Elixir or REALLY fast for a turn with Petrified feather. I see no issue dedicating 4ss of Guild models to securing a near guaranteed breakthrough or plant/destroy evidence. They also work great for RM Claim Jump by drinking the elixir on the final turn.

Role 2 - Magical Weapons. Guild only has so many ways to bring magical weapons to the crew. The wastrel's are another model with paired magical melee weapons. This is really good for when facing spirits.

Role 3 - Holding a point. This is the one model in the guild that simply will not die for 1 turn. There have been games where having that ability on a model would turn the game to my advantage. This is probably the least of thier roles in my opinion, but still could be very useful.

Either I'm skulking around towards objectives, or popping next to a piece that sucks for Backstabber.

Thats another good use, similar to how I use Torekage from time to time. Wastrels being able to attack from Harmless is a great way to assassinate totems and weak/wounded models.

I'm not a guild player, but I've faced wastrels quite a bit and they're a model that becomes much more valuable with the right kind of terrain. They work amazingly inside buildings when the can jump from floor to floor or through walls with only one ap. It's a good thing for my guild opponents that I really like the terraclips and try to build a new building every week to play on.

Alright Ramses, Tuesday finally dropped off my books and then went off to do something non-Malidoodle related, so here's the run down.

Overall Similarities: Both are models that exploit Harmless for offensive capabilities. Oiran definitely have an advantage here in that they can regain it in multiple ways. More models need this, in my opinion. Though I'm not sure Abuela should get Sultry...

Oiran: Oiran have some tricks, but if you're not taking them for their Showgirl trait, chances are you're taking them for Lure. I don't disagree that it's a good spell, but I think there's a bit too much love for it. Personally, I would rather have Menace on a model. Regarding their other Talents and Spells, if you're facing Pandora or Seamus, that Rally pulse is going to be extremely useful. On the downside, much of Tranquil Dance isn't going to get used, and Appealing is a victim of being a support buff that requires the model to activate to use. I'd definitely take them over Wastrels if I were facing down stuff that is going to making my dudes run in terror.

Wastrel: They aren't as utilitarian as the Oiran, but they are pretty great in the two areas they focus on. In a game that demands as much terrain as Malifaux, Secret Passages is super good, is will guarantee a chance to use Backstabber. This is one of the reasons Strangemetal Blade is my first choice for Castoffs. Reload... twice is a great offensive trigger and it uses neither Masks nor Rams. The Paralyzed is annoying, but McCabe and Perds have ways of removing it.