How I learnt how to use my crew better ...

THE_Dwarf

Hey guys

I just wanna offer some hopefully useful advice. I am new to the world of Malifaux. I have played a total of five games with my gremlins (Ophelia and the LaCroix with some extra gremlins). And I learnt so much after yesterday ...

I had three games yesterday, first game was with a mate who has been laying Malifaux for at least 6-months and is pretty good with the synergy. Getting his guys to where they needed to strike. So first game against him and I got blitz - which is not surprising.

But then I suggested we swap crews. Have the same line up. But he uses my Gremlins and I use his Viktoria crew. He was up for it, even though he has never used gremlins before. But from watching his first few activations and reading the cards and linking abilities together with actions they got and spells I learnt so much. Seeing my gremlins played by someone who knew what they doing, and combining actions and abilities.

So I took that into my third game against a mate who is as new to Malifaux as me with his Ten Thunders. And took what I learnt from watching mate use mine. And seemed to come together better. Although I did stupidly sacrifice my Warpig and pere :-( but hey Rami came to my aid later in the game, gunning down guys - I do love Reckless :-)

So in short, my advice is, if you know some one who is good at the game. Have a game with them and instead of asking "What could I of done?" ask to swap crews for a game. I learnt so much, and helped seeing my crew used completely differently than when I used them.

I am wondering also, if any one else has done this?

i have done this many times. Also it is interesting to play a mirror match game. In warmachine i was playing at an event with a crew i was only semi use to play and lost my first round second round got paired with a much better player who was using a very similar crew. First 4 turns or so i was watching him murder me but some unlucky dice on his part left me alive and then it all clicked and i turned the game around and went on to win the game and the next round. using what he had tried to do to me but my dice panned out.