I would just really like to know.

Lancer

So why specify that an action ends at the end of the turn if that is the default?

... So even though it says he "gains" the talent, because assimilate is what caused it and it is an action that does not say when it ends that is why it ends at the end of the turn?

A quirk of written rules. Sometimes they contain redundancies.

So Ronins have "peasant clothes: regain Harmless." does this mean harmless is lost at the end of the turn.

Well..... Yes. But remember that Harmless and Pitiful reactivate at the beginning of every turn so they will have Harmless at the beginning of every turn.

Think of it as the last step in every turn is end affects, unless otherwise stated, and the very first step of every turn is activate character abilities. (Like Harmless.)

There are many examples where the end of the affect is not stated if you look through the book and all of them end at the end of the turn.

Now when an affect lasts the rest of the Game it will state "till the end of the Encounter." if I am not mistaken. And those are rare.

Edit: The other main type is where it states "when this model activates next." is the wording I believe, for stuff like Paralysis and Poison.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

This is kind of tricky, and could use elaboration, but Harmless has it's own end conditions specified.

The same could be said for many abilities that Assimilate can give to Hoffman.

Assimilate says "This model gains one Talent or Spell...". There is no end specified for Assimilate so it ends (and the Assimilated talent/spell is lost) at the Closing Phase. In theory, he could Assimilate Harmless if a nearby Construct had that ability.

Peasant's Clothes says "Regain Harmless", which is basically the same thing. Similarly the Oiran have (1) Sultry: This model gains the Harmless Ability". Neither specify an end time.

Is the difference that Assimilate is an Ongoing effect and those others are Immediate Effects? Is it that "Harmless" is printed on the Ronin and Oiran's cards and so are not "effects" which must end?

Actually Harmless does not reactivate at the beginning of every turn. You have Harmless until you take any action other than Passing or Walking, then you lose it and you only get it back via an action or ability that gives it to you again.

Hmmm...I'm being dumb.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Yeah, and before the Buried errata, people were making use of it.

Lol, well yeah, just saying!

The point is, both Assimilate and Peasant's Clothes/Sultry/etc use basically the same wording. We can all agree that Assimilate ends at the end close phase (or Lazarus wouldn't need the discard 2 scraps ability) and I think it's generally understood that Regaining or Gaining Harmless is permanent in the case of Peasant's Clothes/Sultry/etc. So why are they different?

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

What about Assimilating Harmless from a mechanical dove! ;)

Lol, well yeah, just saying!

The point is, both Assimilate and Peasant's Clothes/Sultry/etc use basically the same wording. We can all agree that Assimilate ends at the end close phase (or Lazarus wouldn't need the discard 2 scraps ability)

we cant all agree that is why i am here. lazarus has a condition to not lose the ability so couldnt you say that since hoffman has no rule he is free from losing his ability?

he gains the talent so he now has that talent so should it be that talent's rules that determine when it ends?