Railroad Base inserts

pgbsamurai

For a very low price at the local train hobby shop you can probably pick up a lifetime supply of rail spikes. Rails don't just float over the ties, they are held down and it's easy to do and would look really cool. Here's a bunch of examples. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_fastening_system

Well going the model train store route you might as well just pick up some O gauge track and cut it to size instead.

Well, the railroad ties are cast from 3/16 inch wide balsa wood which works out to 1:48 scale. So the O gauge would probably be close scale wise. There is not a local train hobby store, was only able to get materials from the local Hobby Lobby which has a very small train/miniature modeling section. I had thought about the ties and couldn't come up with a good way to do them so I left them out. The pins idea would probably work, but I don't know if I really want to worry about it at this point. I knew the rail would look a little off, I was more concerned about casting the ties and rocks to make a fairly easy base insert.

Modern rail in O gauge 1:46 would be much too heavy. S scale 1:64 would be much better. In retrospect, you could probably use pins or really light brads to the same effect

Malifaux is much closer to O scale than it is to S. The ideal scale would be 1 gauge scale however good luck finding that in any kind of large quantity.

1 gauge scale is about 1:32

O scale is about 1:48

S scale is about 1:64