melee master in a charge?

loudo

Question

15 answers to this question

No, Specific AP can only be used to take the action they provide.

Melee Expert lets you make a Melee Strike. Focusing a strike takes a (2) Action. The fact that it is generating a type of strike doesn't matter, as to take the action still requires (2) AP to be spent on it. Melee exert only generates an AP that can be used for a Melee Strike. The (2) will still need to be spent, which will have to come from your general AP.

What about the extra AP from Arcane Effigys Cunduct Aether that gives +1 AP that can only be used for cast or channel Action?

Lets say I cast this on a casting expert master like Zoraida?

I can use the Conduct Aether AP with her 2 General AP for casting a 2AP spell or channeling a 1AP spell but not for channeling the casting expert spell or casting a 2AP spell after using the general AP for summoning a voodoo doll right?

What about the extra AP from Arcane Effigys Cunduct Aether that gives +1 AP that can only be used for cast or channel Action?

Lets say I cast this on a casting expert master like Zoraida?

I can use the Conduct Aether AP with her 2 General AP for casting a 2AP spell or channeling a 1AP spell but not for channeling the casting expert spell or casting a 2AP spell after using the general AP for summoning a voodoo doll right?

Conduct aether is different.

Casting expert can ONLY be used for a casting action. That's a (1) spell.

General AP can be spent on anything.

Conduct aether gives one AP to be used for casting or channeling actions.

This means you can cast obey with casting expert, walk for 1ap, then channel a spell, or cast hex (thats the (2) one right?) for your remaining general plus the conduct aether one.

It all sounds very complicated but its really not. Pay absolute attention to terminology and it'll all become clear.

This is covered in the FAQ:

Can I take the Focus or Channel Actions using AP granted from Melee or Casting Expert respectively?

No. Melee and Casting Expert grant specific AP for the Strike and Cast Actions, respectively. You may not Charge or use any Talents that require general AP using the specific AP granted. You may only perform the Actions permitted by specific AP.

Can I use the specific AP from Casting Expert to pay for part of a (2) cost spell?

No. As stated in the Rules Manual (p33), specific AP cannot be combined with general AP.

does that mean casting expert only works for a (1) spell then?

No, Casting Expert is a bit different.

You are not limited by the number in brackets. You are limited by the name of the Action you can use the AP on.

Melee expert -> only for Strike Action : it so happens Strike Actions only ever cost (1) AP, but it has nothing to do with Melee expert wording or rules.

Casting expert -> only for Cast Action : it so happens this may cost (0), (1), (2) or (ALL) and so you still can use your Casting Expert AP on any of these casts except for (0).

Note also that a spell which says (ALL) will use up your Specific CE AP together with your General AP.

And, IIRC, you still cannot use Casting Expert AP for Channel, just like you cannot use Melee Expert AP for Focus. These are different Actions, not listed in the rules for these Specific AP.

Edited by Q'iq'el

No' date=' [b']Casting Expert is a bit different.

You are not limited by the number in brackets. You are limited by the name of the Action you can use the AP on.

Casting expert -> only for Cast Action : it so happens this may cost (0), (1), (2) or (ALL) and so you still can use your Casting Expert AP on any of these casts except for (0).

Except (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have my book to hand) there's a specific rule that prevents you from combining specific AP with general AP in all circumstances. So (+1) Casting Expert can never be combined with a general AP to cast a (2) spell, can't be used to cast a (0), and makes no difference for an (all) - which effectively means it can only ever be used to cast a (1) spell anyway.

Hmm, I felt there's something wrong with my line of thinking as I was writing it. Didn't occur to me to check the rules for specific APs, since the wording of the rule seems clear enough.

Indeed, these cannot be combined with general AP (page 33). Perhaps the rules could be more streamlined in this area.