Ten Thunders Bros Painting Log

WaywardSun13

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a while, but I finally got my Torakage and Shang finished. Shang was frustrating. I've painted, stripped, and redone him 3 times now. Still not sure I'm completely happy with it, but I've at least got it to a point where I'm not embarrassed to put it on the board. I still may add some more red, but for now I'm going to walk away and revisit when I'm not so frustrated.

Torakage

torakagegroup.jpg

torakage1a.jpg

torakage1c.jpg

torakage2b.jpg

torakage2c.jpg

torakage3d.jpg

torakage3c.jpg

Shang

shang1.jpg

shang3.jpg

And the Ten Thunders' Crew thus far:

tenthunders.jpg

Up next will likely be some Archers. Unlike other crews that I've done, I'm saving the master for last.

As always, C&C is much appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Those are really lovely, I especially like the effect in the water under the ball and chain torakage!

I'd say don't do too much more to Shang, you have some really nice fading from yellow to orange. Maybe a touch of darkish red on the tail tips for some variation, but not too much.

The Torakage look fantastic, I love the smooth highlights on their robes and the bases are great too. Shang looks very nice too but it's a bit too cartoonish imho. You could try adding some darker (very dark red and pure black) highlights on the edges of flames as it would tone him down a little and make him look darker.

Nice. I like the kinda turquoisey / veridiany greenish color with the yellow sashes. I'm in Mako's camp with Shang. I think the blending is pretty good and might benefit with a little darker tips. I agree with Viruk that it looks a little cartoony, but I'm good with that....I don't know if I personally would go all the way to black as he suggests, but I think either approach would work.

As a total crew (group shot), they look really great.

Thanks everyone!

My initial renditions of Shang had a lot more dark red/black "highlights," but I way over did it...both times unfortunately. I backed down on this third attempt and just stuck with a mid-level red. Shang does look kind of "cartoony," so maybe I'll just try to add a little more dark red mainly to the tail. I'm probably going to wait a week or so though. I'm going to give him a rest for now.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm still alive. Just finished up my boards and my residency interviews, so I've finally had time to paint. I took a brief hiatus from my Ten Thunders crew to crank out a quickie Marcus crew and my Hangin' Tree. Pics are attached, for your viewing pleasure. My TT Archers are on my painting table now, and they'll be up soon!

hangingtree2_zps88f1120e.jpg

hangingtree1_zps757c8134.jpg

marcus1_zpsdab410f6.jpg

marcuscrew_zpsaa180ae3.jpg

More TT goodness coming soon!

Your paint scheme is pretty much the exact same of what I had envisioned for mine originally, however then I decided to invert it. So all of my cloth will be red and all of the magic & accents will be a blueish green.

Nice work on your models thus far. Should look great on the tabletop

I think my favourite part is the skin on Marcus, getting any skin looking good is tricky, and you don't see that many non white models so painting different skin tones is a difficult thing. That you've done really nicely! Mind if I ask what you used?

Sure.

I use GW Dwarf Flesh in all of my flesh mixes. For Marcus, I mixed some Reaper Dirt Brown, Black, and Dwarf Flesh in equal mixes. I built this up w/ the Dirt Brown and the Dwarf Flesh, and then I added Ivory in for successive highlights. To do the shading, I made a shade wash w/ Black, Brown ink, and a midnight blue.