Jakob Lynch and his crew - as a 10T master

nix

Shamless plug (without the cool graphic) for some new Jakob discussion on my blog. I am fairly comfortable at this point and will be moving to Misaki over the next couple weeks. My experience has really settled in on how Jakob works for me, and surprisingly its more 10T models than NB models. No Graves, Depleted, or Illuminated.

I think it will be interesting to see how my experience stacks up to others who are focusing more on a Neverborn Brilliant crew in 10T clothing.

Interesting article Nix though I do feel the need to point out one problem I noticed. Then some random notes.

Remember that Yamaziko's willpower aura only works for Non-Master Ten Thunder Models so it really limits who it helps in the list you describe. It will not help Lynch as he is a master, nor the Hungering Darkness as it counts as a Master for Talents and Spells *abilities are Talents*, the beckoners are neverborn models and not 10T, and Yamaziko is the source of the aura and it does not say it helps her. So in your example list building only Kang or Ototo, your secondary beat sticks, get any benefit from it. Or an archer or Torakage if you take one, but not the stitched.

For me one of Lynch's most interesting point has been his spell the Source. Due to some of the masters I have faced I have not been able to cast Dead Man Hand much as often a murder machine has been in the front line of the enemy crew. Lynch and murder machines with access to Use Soulstone do not mix well. Using Casting Expert on HD and a Mask card first turn I have been giving my one of my models Brilliance *I too have been experimenting with taking a low Brillance list*. This is either a model I want to speed up or set up as a secondary spawning point for HD. While my experience has been with Neverborn you can do much the same with 10T. Ototo, Yamaziko, or an archer a tad slow? Give him Brilliance for the rest of the encounter and the Source can give him a decent walk. Your trick with the Beckoner's walking into combat and then using their (0) action to push 4" and walk again? With the Source it goes from a 14" trick to a 16", not a lot but might be enough to get out of charge range of the model they had used for the extra push.

I have not had the chance yet but giving a Terror Tot brillance, and cast the Source, and then casting Sprint might be pretty funny to watch. Me and another Neverborn player have been poking around how to use this to make Depleted move like champs, two 6" walks and a 5" push.

I would also consider proxying some of the Oiran, or at least one. Unlike Yamaziko's Wise Council, their Surly does not require the model be 10T, just living. This means it does aid Lynch, the secondary beat stick, and the Beckoners. Turning their Wp to 7 and perhaps a short hop to 9 if your target has brilliance already makes them pretty accurate. Also they are quite cheap in the grand scheme of things as a 4ss model. Also having a low levelish lure is not bad *at least good at using on your own guys*. Tranquil dance is also an option should you have the off chance of facing an enemy crew that needs the suits in their Cb or Df for their plans.

Yup, I did catch tht Yamaziko's aura only ffects Kang/Ototo and other possible 10T that get added to the list (typically an archer or Oiran when they come out). This has been lightly useful for Ototo, as it has bumped his WP to match his unwounded-CB, allowing me to make use of Brace to stop his being lured vs Pandora/Lilitu crews. Not a bad thing overall. It helps out Kang even more, pushing his defending WP to a very respectable 10 due to stubborn adding in. Overall, not bad.

To be fair, Yamaziko's WP boost is very situational but was worth mentioning. While I wish it could be added to the Beckoners, that would be a bit silly at the end of the day. Yamaziko really shines for me in her healing ability and cost of 6, with a secondary benefit being the rest of her abilities. The healing is an excellent addition to the crew while her cost makes her a straight forward swap for an Illuminated.

On my side I have not played with the Source much, although I can see where it could be useful. Huggy has such great spells of his own I just do not see Magical Extension being a key choice to use. On Jakob, I have not had issues with staying around the 8 - 10 inch range and having enough other models nearby to avoid the "murder machines" you mention. Typically they are tied up with Huggy and/or my other beater and Jakob stays fairly safe.

I am certainly excited to hear more feedback as additional people get experience with him.

I've had about 5/6 games with Jakob now, need to write my thoughts up soon. I haven't lost with him yet and even beat Stryder's Kirai in a game which is big for me.

I look forward to reading about your thoughts.

On another note, I find it interesting when people make comments like "I haven't lost with him yet". I have no problems losing, especially since I have been swapping out models in my crew as I figure out what works best and what doesn't work. I tend to side on the "learn as much or more from losing than winning" side of the field I think. That would make a good Podcast topic, I need to jot that down.

*grin*

I agree that the majority of the time you learn more from losing than winning, especially when you're used to what you're playing with. When you start out every game has a fair learning curve in any games system/new army. But yeah, I don't mind losing!

The only reason I like winning is because Harrogate is pretty darn competitive so it feels good going 5 and 0 with Jakob, ready to go 0 and 5 with him at the GT!

I look forward to reading about your thoughts.

On another note, I find it interesting when people make comments like "I haven't lost with him yet". I have no problems losing, especially since I have been swapping out models in my crew as I figure out what works best and what doesn't work. I tend to side on the "learn as much or more from losing than winning" side of the field I think. That would make a good Podcast topic, I need to jot that down.

*grin*

I would second this as a podcast topic. I go into most games wishing for the game to be close fought and come down to a few key flips on turn 6. The better my opponent is the more I can learn from what they do. “Cherish your enemies. They teach you the best lessons.”

• 2 months later...

THREADOMANCY!

Ehem...

Played a match with Jakob that used some unconventional pieces.

Played Shared Contain Power vs Yan Lo

Yan Lo was packing what seems will be standard list of his of

Yan Lo

Soul Porter

Izamu

Toshiro

Chiaki

2 Ashigaru

7 stones

Mine was

Jakob

Huggy

2 Beckoners

Yin

Toshiro

Asigaru

My first conclusions is that huggy is a bloody monster and Toshiro makes him play even more to his strengths. The ashigaru didn't do much but well, I had priorities, even then, I did manage to get 4 reckoning counters on Toshiro, so summoning with him was a possibility for later. As for Yin, she had to be more conservative than I would have liked because of the other Toshiro, but she managed to be an annoyance with her anathema and thanks to her mobility she was able to follow huggy whereever he went. Her -1 to wp was also critical in getting Lo to blow a morale test (HUGGY REVIVED!).

Thing is I'd love to fit in an extra ashigaru or a punk, something else that is hitty and undead to increase the rate at which Toshiro gets reckoning counters, but the 2 beckoners seemed crucial, since I had to bring huggy back into the game twice and pretty much needed both of them shooting into melee constantly to get some models with brilliance on them.

Anyway, liked the results and would recommend others to give that angle a try. Specially since Yin and Toshiro mostly want crows and huggy wants masks it sort of frees up the suits a bit.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just a question: mind you I have not read up as much as I should have on Yan Lo. But I'm curious you mention possibly wanting a Punk Zombie; but for a lack of SS to hire. Isn't there a way to summon a Punk with Toshiro? Or is that just a Yan Lo thing.

Sorry I don't have my copy of Book 4 in front of me.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just a question: mind you I have not read up as much as I should have on Yan Lo. But I'm curious you mention possibly wanting a Punk Zombie; but for a lack of SS to hire. Isn't there a way to summon a Punk with Toshiro? Or is that just a Yan Lo thing.

Sorry I don't have my copy of Book 4 in front of me.

Yep Toshiro can collect tokens to summon Punk Zombies. Also if you have him in your crew you can hire Punk Zombies and Ashigaru into your 10T crew.