Terrifying clarifications

spydr261

Question

I've been playing Seamus for a while and thus thought I knew a lot about how terrifying works. However, in a recent game my interpretation of the rules was questioned and I was wondering if my understanding of the rules is correct.

1. When declaring a charge against a terrifying model, the charging model performs the morale duel before moving. If the charging model fails the duel, it falls back directly away from the terrifying model.

2. When a model succeeds in a morale duel caused by a terrifying effect, that model ignores that effect while within that effects area and as long as it exists (i.e. it carries over between turns).

3. If a model that succeeded on the morale duel leaves and then re-enters the terrifying effect's area, it must again perform a morale duel.

4. If a model with either the Flight or Float ability moves through the area of a terrifying effect but doesn't end its move action within it, that model doesn't have to perform a morale duel.

5. If a model is pushed into the area of a terrifying effect and it doesn't have either Flight or Float, the pushed model must immediately make a morale duel.

6. Now a specific case: An enemy is within melee range of Seamus and passes the Terrifying 12 duel. Seamus then casts The Face of Death replacing his Terrifying 12 with Terrifying 14. The enemy model then reactivates (this hasn't actually happened but I want to know if this works the way I think it does) and then passes the Terrifying 14 duel. On the next turn, Seamus' terrifying will have returned to Terrifying 12 and the enemy will have to make a morale duel when it activates.

15 answers to this question

It certainly does need to take the test when the terrifying goes up to 14, (its a new terrifying effect). I'm sure I've answered this question before, and got it wrong, so I'll go and search before answering this time

reading seamus' card again, you are correct, it is a replaced effect and therefore you need new tests. I was thinking it being like Tuco's deranged laughter that merely adds 2 to his terrifying ability, and so wouldnt force a new test as the ability itself was teh same.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?25459-Sandwich-s-Seamus-Twisting-Fates-Review!&p=320769#post320769

Lots of tests...

all of Seamus' terrifying changes are new effects, so you will need to test when he is 12, then again when he goes to 14, and then again when he goes back to 12.

You do only need to test when you start the activation/end an action... not when he makes the changes, but its a lot of tests he can force over time

4. I think u will find you do need to take a test. as it dose not mater if u have float or can fly.

Terrifying # - Living models without Terrifying activating, moving through, or ending an Action in this model's melee range, or declaring a Charge against this model, must win a Morale Duel or fall back.

4. I think u will find you do need to take a test. as it dose not mater if u have float or can fly.

Terrifying # - Living models without Terrifying activating, moving through, or ending an Action in this model's melee range, or declaring a Charge against this model, must win a Morale Duel or fall back.

p.57 - under Terrifying rules - 3rd bullet point disagrees with you - a model would normally have to test for terrifying if it moves through the melee range of a model, but not if you have flight or float. Note, if they end a movement action in the effects range, they would still need to test (as bullet point 2 on p.57 would apply)...

It really depends on whether you consider "moves into" to mean only via a Move action or not. (Either way, if you're Moving you have to test as soon as you're engaged, not at the end of the move - unless you have Flight or Float.)

If a Push can be considered "moving" into the Terrifying range (it's a Movement effect, after all) then you would have to test when Pushed. If not, then it would only be when taking a Move action, which could have interesting implications: models which Push and attack rather than Charge (like Ronin) could attack Terrifying opponents without having to test.

In general, I feel like Terrifying is intended to only come into effect on models that are currently activating. I don't think there should be a situation where the testing model is not also the active model. Thus, I don't think being Pushed into a Terrifying aura should force a test.

However, you could argue that a Push initiated by the model could be considered "moving", whereas a Push initiated by another model could be "being moved", and thus not eligible for the test. That's the way I've always played it: if the active model moves (by any process) into a Terrifying aura, they test; models that are moved outside of their activation wait until the start of their activation to test.

7. If the Terrifying model moves close to another model, does the other model have to test due to "entering" the range ?

Nope. Having the range move to cover you is definitely different to moving into it.

(Incidentally, this is the same sort of principle I was talking about above: models shouldn't be testing Terrifying when they're not the active model. The model in this case will test at the start of its activation, assuming the Terrifying thing is still around.)