Campaign rules with character growth?

Talisinbear

Question

13 answers to this question

With respect, I disagree. In my experience, in order for a game to have progression you need to start even (ie, bland as all buggery). Necromunda and BB are great for this IMO, as aside from a few key rules all the models are identical and can grow to be varied.

In Malifaux, the models are ALREADY varied, and have a lot of key rules. I really don't see where growth of individuals would add to the game experience, and would only add more book-keeping headache where none is needed.

What you're discussing is tactics though, not actual model growth. This is something that isn't too difficult to achieve (the Australian GT did a great job of this by tying the objectives of the first 3 games to the ease of which you could perform tasks in the last game). Something as simple as saying "if Sonnia's Crew get the Grudge Scheme, the next game is Claim Jump with the "objective" being the captive. Glorified rescue mission". Or other things like say a +:crows to Ressers who killed X amount of minis in the previous games, to represent the amount of bodies they've collected. Small things that carry on.

The game lends itself well to this sort of narrative, so weaving your results into it is not hard. And I still stand by (just my) opinion that adding model growth, aside from possibly limits in what games you can Avatar, do not add anything in this regard for this game.

I disagree that the variety of the models would necessarily mean you couldn't do a grow style game. I loved Confrontation's Dogs of War system. Those models were quite a bit varied as well but that didn't stop the campaign style from working. Were there a couple of issues with certain models being OP? Yes, but it didn't stop my enjoyment of the game. I could see a Dogs of War style supplement being very fun with Malifaux, but just as with Confrontation it would be a different game added to the core rules.

While I could see something like this being very fun with Malifaux I don't think it HAS to happen. I'm curious to see what, if any, tie ins they have with the coming RPG first. I'm happy to see an RPG even if I never to get play just for the fluff and additional insight into the background.

It could work the way infinity handles it... introducing a new model type (Special Forces in Infinity) that represents a new character (or the player if you like) which starts out low and is able to grow, maybe even to a full henchman through the campaign.

I've seen this idea used with campaigns for other systems. I could see it being very fun and not overpowering (as long as the list of available abilities doesn't get too crazy). And you are only doing bookkeeping for 1 model rather than a crew (though I still say Dogs of War was easy enough to deal with).

If I ever get a chance to run a campaign when I get home I might float this idea. Did not know Infinity had this - will have to look there for inspiration.

As a long time Necromunda and Bloodbowl afficianado, I would love this type of skirmish game however I dont think that will be Malifaux. Here's hoping the soon to be official RPG will scratch the itch to "grow a character" and will have combat resolution similar enough to the skirmish game to make everybody happy.

Hope.jpg

while cool, I think adding abilities or even the odd stat here and there could throw what (like many other games) is a precariously balanced game way out of whack. Ive played and enjoyed many necromunda campaigns, however they all tend to go nuts when 1 model gets that perfect combo of skills and upgrades. A progressive campaign mode in regards to strategies and schemes however I would very much be in favor of, modifying models...not so much