New Player, Resser Fan

Prime Mover

Hello! I was introduced to Malifaux last year at GenCon, and played a full demo of it this year before buying all of the books (though I'm holding off on buying the models until I get a more specific idea of what I want). After reading through the fluff in the first three books I have decided to ally myself with the Resurrectionists; I'm choosing my faction by fluff, but within the faction I want to be competitive.

I've read a lot of the stuff on PMF as well as having lurked on this board for a while, is there anywhere else I should go for advice on strategy/models? Is there any general advice people want to throw my way?

Thanks,

PM

Mostly it depends on what style of play you like.

You chose Ressers so (imo)

1) seamus= man cannon, lowers wp for terrifying test. And has the ladies to help him get enemies closer to activate his terrifying ability.

2) nicodem= summoner, paralyzer, buffer. I think he is good at summoning because he can summon stuff for certain situations when you need.

3) mcmorning= sudo-summoner, doesn't have a plethora to choose from when summoning, has melee potential. And by potential I mean he is pretty good at it. Dissect is a great melee spell.

Kirai= my favorite, she is the 'emo' summoner imo. She hurts herself to summon her minions. She is someone you keep back and let her minions do the rest.

As for other sources you've already read pull my finger and that where I usually tell people to go. Now I guess just try and proxy for what you would want to play.

How useful is terrifying? I really liked it until I saw that it only effects living models, and I just see myself facing hordes of constructs/undead/etc. :/

First off, WELCOME TO MALIFAUX! Secondly, terrifying could swing a game wildly, from you losing horribly to them running for the hills (literally).

If you are looking for more Info I highly recommend Malifaux Podcasts. My main favorites are Aethervox, Gamers Lounge, and Cheated Fates Radio. They all have awesome episodes that help new players. I recommend Cheated Fates episode "a Seamus Plug" for starters

Edited by DarcXON

Seamus in general seems to be the resser master that has the most reliance on terror. Kind of a nice bonus for the others, but Seamus works with it the most. Helps that his Avatar can be a terror to deal with (Ba dum tssshhh).

Really comes down to what flavor of resser you want to start with, and Iamwyrd outlined them fairly well. Nico summons, Seamus tanks, McMourning kills, and Kirai moves. Even if you don't like your first choice, resser minions are good in just about any crew with the exception of kirai. Kirai's reliance on spirits, and the other master's need for corpse counters just makes minion overlap a little harder.

While there are some limitations to terrifying there are ways to make up for it. Two examples are onryo and carrion effigy. Both can remove the immunity to terrifying I believe. I don't have the cards in front of me sadly as it is late.

If you choose to go with Seamus his avatar also gives him an ability called anathema that terrifies anything, unless it also has the anathema ability.

There are also some new synergies with the new ten thunders and new ressur Models to assist in adding anathema to your allies.

Terrifying can be vEry useful. It all just depends on strategies and schemes.

I currently play Seamus mcmourning and kirai and each are unique in their own ways. I wish I could get ahold of nicodem I just don't have the resources right now. Kirai is a master for advanced gameplay. Her rules and the way she interacts with her crew can be confusing. I just started with her and some of it is difficult at times. Spirits are great becaus they can move through walls take half damage from non magic sources and do not rely on Corpse counters to summon.

Mcmourning is pretty awesome in melee. He's a blast to play scalpel slinging in and out of combat. There are some strategies to sac many small models to summon big ones, I'm personally not a fan of it, but it is still fun depending on what kind of play style you want. He also does not fully require corpse counters but gain body part counters from attacking enemies.

While there are some limitations to terrifying there are ways to make up for it. Two examples are onryo and carrion effigy. Both can remove the immunity to terrifying I believe. I don't have the cards in front of me sadly as it is late.

Carrion effigy can takes away all immunities and abilities that ignore effects within 4 inches of him, and Onyro can take away one models immunity to WP duels and WP bonuses. Both will help get around ItI and Lifer, but you still can't scare non-living models without Anathema.

Carrion effigy can takes away all immunities and abilities that ignore effects within 4 inches of him, and Onyro can take away one models immunity to WP duels and WP bonuses. Both will help get around ItI and Lifer, but you still can't scare non-living models without Anathema.

He is talking about Morale duel infusing things I believe

Thanks! I'll check out those podcasts. And yes, my worry is about non-living models not being affected by terrifying, not immunity to WP (thought that would be a problem as well :/).

McMourning looks really exciting to me. I like being able to attack with a free action on top of being fast for most of the game (hopefully), with just enough summoning to make me happy, without overwhelming me as I enter the game. ^_^

In my experience the most competitive of the Resser Masters are Kirai, hands down, and McMorning. Seamus is certainly my favorite Resser Master but, in my opinion, he is the least competitive of the masters as his Cache is very low, and he is extremely opponent dependent. aSeamus is a great avatar, and is exceptionally fun to use, however, again solely in my experience, reliance on Terror, even aSeamus' stupid high Anathema Terror isn't a successful strategy for competitive play, as you have no ability to FORCE the terror through. Even at the highest he can get it it is still beatable, albeit with a very high card, and often in Malifaux you only need that one critical model to succeed in order to shut a threat down.

That said please understand I am only speaking in a min/max mechanical way. As I said Seamus is my favorite master and can be very much fun to play against, but his basic Shenanigans are too inconsistent in my opinion to be called a competitive master.

I would heartily recommend McMorning if you don't have any interest in Kirai, as he is one of the Deadlier Melee Masters in the game, and is incredibly fast.

In my experience the most competitive of the Resser Masters are Kirai, hands down, and McMorning. Seamus is certainly my favorite Resser Master but, in my opinion, he is the least competitive of the masters as his Cache is very low, and he is extremely opponent dependent. aSeamus is a great avatar, and is exceptionally fun to use, however, again solely in my experience, reliance on Terror, even aSeamus' stupid high Anathema Terror isn't a successful strategy for competitive play, as you have no ability to FORCE the terror through. Even at the highest he can get it it is still beatable, albeit with a very high card, and often in Malifaux you only need that one critical model to succeed in order to shut a threat down.

That said please understand I am only speaking in a min/max mechanical way. As I said Seamus is my favorite master and can be very much fun to play against, but his basic Shenanigans are too inconsistent in my opinion to be called a competitive master.

That's good to know. Since I was worried about that anyway, I think I'll avoid Seamus (at least for now, I might investigate him once I get more familiar/better at the game).

I would heartily recommend McMorning if you don't have any interest in Kirai, as he is one of the Deadlier Melee Masters in the game, and is incredibly fast.

I really don't have interest in Kirai, mostly because she's so isolated from the other masters. Do you have the new book? Yan Lo looks pretty cool to me as well. ^_^

Yan Lo looks VERY interesting, I reserve judgement however until I see what he does on the table. I think you'd have a good time with McMorning, he's a very solid master and, although he can be taken out fairly easily if you aren't careful, he is a monster in melee. In a game against a four horseman Levi List Mcmorning scalpel slung into melee rang of the mechanical rider, and the dead rider, both at full health, and killed both of them in the same turn.

I'm a big fan of Seamus I feel he's much more competitive than people give him credit for. I feel the real issue is people call him a tank. I think this is partial incorrect. He is definitely hard to put down, but not if you run him into the enemy. What he is is a board control master. He does this by hit and run attack and using belles to position the enemy. Even against non-living he does have a lot of tricks. Actually I always consider Terrifying as a bit of a bonus defense for him. Even against living it can most of the time be cheated so it's never something you can rely on. But he does have lots of tools he can use. If you make sure he has some SS he can almost guarantee a kill a turn against non-masters. Undead Psychosis can be used to really mess up your opponents plans, it can almost be as good as Paralysis against melee models (It's also hideously reliable, he's Ca 7). Causing them to have to retreat or just pass their turn. Womanizer can be really good for getting Seamus out of trouble. But he should not be considered a tank, he should be lurking around the edge of the battle popping out shooting the enemy, casting spells, rather than be front line.

Edited by Ratty

Does anyone know when I can find out when the Storm of Shadows models are going on sale? Because Toshiro and Chiaki look really cool.

I'm a big fan of Seamus I feel he's much more competitive than people give him credit for. I feel the real issue is people call him a tank. I think this is partial incorrect. He is definitely hard to put down, but not if you run him into the enemy. What he is is a board control master. He does this by hit and run attack and using belles to position the enemy. Even against non-living he does have a lot of tricks. Actually I always consider Terrifying as a bit of a bonus defense for him. Even against living it can most of the time be cheated so it's never something you can rely on. But he does have lots of tools he can use. If you make sure he has some SS he can almost guarantee a kill a turn against non-masters. Undead Psychosis can be used to really mess up your opponents plans, it can almost be as good as Paralysis against melee models (It's also hideously reliable, he's Ca 7). Causing them to have to retreat or just pass their turn. Womanizer can be really good for getting Seamus out of trouble. But he should not be considered a tank, he should be lurking around the edge of the battle popping out shooting the enemy, casting spells, rather than be front line.

That makes sense... TBH I was a little surprised and confused when I saw people refer to Seamus as a tank... he seems more like he wants to support/debuff more than anything else. I just read over him again and saw Necrotic Ministrations, which I had somehow missed every time before that... it seems *really* powerful, although I might have a slanted view because I play Magic, so I have "Card Advantage = Awesome" ingrained in my brain. *shrugs*

Does anyone know when I can find out when the Storm of Shadows models are going on sale? Because Toshiro and Chiaki look really cool.

That makes sense... TBH I was a little surprised and confused when I saw people refer to Seamus as a tank... he seems more like he wants to support/debuff more than anything else. I just read over him again and saw Necrotic Ministrations, which I had somehow missed every time before that... it seems *really* powerful, although I might have a slanted view because I play Magic, so I have "Card Advantage = Awesome" ingrained in my brain. *shrugs*

Yeah Necrotic Ministrations is amazing, especially as you can drain all the live out of your own Belle to heal up using Live for Pain, and when she dies gain 2 more Wd and a Card, then resummon. So if everything goes wrong you have ways of healing up. But the last couple of games I've ended up with 6-8 cards at the end of some turns.. even if they are all rubbish that 1/5 of the rubbish in your deck which your not going to draw next turn.

Edited by Ratty

How are you getting 2 cards with Necrotic Ministrations off of a Belles death? Necrotic Ministrations only gives 1, additionally I thought you couldn't use Live for Pain if engaged in melee, even if you are targeting something not in Melee. The fact that it has a ranged Icon prevents that, does it not?

Serious question as I'm making sure I didn't miss something in the rules that was making my personal experiences of Seamus' weakness more exaggerated, and thus skewed my perception.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

Oops yeah typo 1 card.. You have Belles that can pull you out of melee or pull the enemy model away from you. As soon as your out of melee you can shoot your Gun and Live for Pain. But if you position right you can really avoid Melee anyway. Belles make a good screen it's very hard to disengage from multiple belles. You can also shoot Undead Psychosis into the enemy so they can't get within 3" of a Belle and this you can use in combat. So if the enemy have got you into melee you can cast Undead Psychosis onto the enemy and then, if necessary, use the (0)AP Womanizer Action to move a Belle in so they have to move themselves out of combat. There are so many ways for Seamus to get out of combat. And so many ways to stop Seamus being jumped in combat to start with.

Edited by Ratty

As I said I'd be happy to be proven wrong in my stance that Seamus is not competitive. I'd certainly be interested in any battle reports (with your wonderful graphic design skills =) ) you might post if you ever get a chance, just to see how you are using him effectively enough to say he is a competitive master. I'd even be happy with your crew builds for specific strats.

As I said I'd be happy to be proven wrong in my stance that Seamus is not competitive. I'd certainly be interested in any battle reports (with your wonderful graphic design skills =) ) you might post if you ever get a chance, just to see how you are using him effectively enough to say he is a competitive master. I'd even be happy with your crew builds for specific strats.

I'm wanting to get Josh to do some reports and tactica, as he's the local Seamus player and very good. I mostly win with Seamus but Josh has much more experience than me, Kirai is my main and I mix up between Seamus, McMourning, Pandora and the Viks. However I'm pretty sure Seamus has won every serious game in our area in the last couple of months.