Ramos Crew from Gencon

odinsgrandson

This is a crew that won the first place for the Unit category in the Gencon Indy Painting Competition.

Someone on Eric J's blog wanted larger photos. Here is the same photo only larger. But you have to click on them to see the full size pic.

I'll get some individual pics soon.

I started this crew a while back, and I had already finished Ramos and posted him up. So, for the competition entry, I had to get the new Ramos and paint him up. The new sculpt is pretty terrific.

Also, they're posted up on Coolmini for anyone who cares to vote.

img50365076e65a7.jpg

Edited by odinsgrandson

Boyo,

Your color choices are outstanding. Most of the Ramos crews that I've seen have steered toward the cooler blue--electrical, if you will--tones. The earthy palette immediately sells a steam-punk atmosphere and ties the crew together nicely while drawing attention to sparsely used cooler metallic areas. (Creating an appropriate sense of threat from the blades and pointy bits.)

Well played, sir.

Congratulations on your well deserved win.

Nox

let me start by saying i think that is the nicest (at least top 3 without exagerrating) ramos crew i have ever seen but id have to agree with nightshard.

Ramos's coat in question, its the same technique that was used on the electrical creations bag. the highlights look a little too forced to me.

That steamborg leg and the lovely use of reds and purples around the tender areas of the skin shows you have alot of talent' i do love the crew and the earth colour scheme as well and all round it looks fantastic

Your recognition is well deserved! Hot stuff, I love the ochre tones throughout the crew.

I'm always working on improving my painting skills. Any expert level tips you'd care to share about your blending? It looks great!

Well, I keep up a blog where I frequently post write ups on different techniques. They are all linked on the side bar.

On these guys in particular, one of the more interesting techniques I used was shading in complimentary colors. The green is all shaded with red, and the highlighting is almost all done with a cold frostbite (off-white) which helps make the minis look like they're in similar lighting.

And I tend to think that most Malifaux minis should look like they're moon-lit.