Can't get the rules

mortthepirate

Question

14 answers to this question

If you mean the Flattened Rules Manual at http://www.wyrd-games.net/Upload/MalifauxRulesManualFlat.pdf then that's strange because it comes through fine for me. (I just tried a fresh download and tested it.) Is that the link you were trying? I have a copy in my Google Drive you can try via this link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwSkLbIQCWucNzV0cURHN2wwejA

I'd also point out that the physical copy of the book is only $15 if you can swing picking it up, it's a heck of a lot easier to use at the table when it's in print. ;)

Yes, but most of the Strategies and Schemes are redacted too. That one's a slightly bigger deal. ;)

No, the Core strategies are all there. So if you're trying to just learn the game, then everything you need is in there.

While yes, having the actual printed one is better, you gotta learn to sell it better. Convince new players that it's worth jumping into with both feet. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys!

so after looking at a few threads I think i'm gonna start out with the arcanists (at least until i can find out more about the 10T crew) with Colette as my first pick. Wife still isn't sure what she wants to do but is leaning towards the Guild.

Next question: i hear talk about the different 'books' and the masters in them. With the newest version coming out soon (I think? that's book 4, right?) do I need the earlier books for the rules for the earlier masters, or do they get carried forward into later editions? AKA if I get book 4, do I need to get book 1 as well so we can run Lady Justice?

The main books (anything that's not the Rules Manual, so Book 1.5 as well as Books 2, 3 and 4 which are titled "Rising Powers", "Twisting Fates" and "Storm of Shadows" respectively) have information on all of the models released with that book. They also all tell the story of Malifaux's universe and characters, which is honestly very interesting to read. You don't NEED those books to play, as long as you have the Rules Manual, but they have useful information and let you see what each model does before you buy it.

Next question: i hear talk about the different 'books' and the masters in them. With the newest version coming out soon (I think? that's book 4, right?) do I need the earlier books for the rules for the earlier masters, or do they get carried forward into later editions? AKA if I get book 4, do I need to get book 1 as well so we can run Lady Justice?

Each model has stats in only one of the books. LadyJ's stats are in Book 1.5.

That said, her stats also come on her card which comes with her model, so you really don't need Book 1.5 or any of the other books if you want to play her or her crew. The books are nice to read for fluff, to see what other models you could get for your crew and how they work, and to see what models you might have to fight against. I think they're great value for their cost, but they aren't required to play.