A River Runs Thru It

Antiquitas

updates on the pagoda:

so I went out to Chris again yesterday and managed to do a hefty amount of work on the pagoda. I would say it needs maybe one more day of work to finish it off now.

So to start off with, I needed to work on getting the second floor done. I began by adding the back walls, as well as spacers for the roof sections to sit onto.

IMG_20120818_172236.jpg

next, I clad the outer wall:

IMG_20120818_182759.jpg

Next, I had to set out the framework for the roof. To do this I used some thin oblong rod (4mm by 12mm) that I cut into shape to give the prongs of the roof joins. I glued these in place, then used coffee stirrer sticks, doctors tongue depressors and candy floss sticks to lay out a framework for the roof sections. The roof sections were then cut out of cardboard and glued in place.

I also put in floorboards (using coffee stirrer sticks cut to size) and wallpapered the inner walls. The Kanji used were for War, Honor and Strength.

The other major aspect of the wall layout was the mesh wall sections for the front of the building. These were made by cutting a wire mesh to size, and then using glue and tongue depressors to glue them in place. To hold the top of these wall sections steady, holes were drilled into the pillars and a candyfloss stick was cut to size and inserted. This gave the wall sections some added stability, and allowed me to glue the top of the wire mesh and tongue depressors in place.

IMG_20120818_232330.jpg

IMG_20120818_232337.jpg

IMG_20120819_003706.jpg

Next, I cut a section of wood into an approximate shape and sanded it into the right size and shape to act as the lintel for the door. here is a progress shot up to this point:

IMG_20120819_003657.jpg

the next steps were to lay out the balcony and then the roof. I started by cutting some tongue depressors to size and laying out a balcony around the entire edge of the building, using the roof edging supports as, well, supports.

IMG_20120819_013529.jpg

A second set of tongue depressors was then cut to give an edging and a lip, and also to give a straight edge for the roof sections to abut onto.

IMG_20120819_015711.jpg

the roof was the next part to get worked on. This was done by using PVA to affix thin wooden reeds (taken from reed table mats of all things) that had been cut to size onto the cardboard roof sections.

IMG_20120819_031148.jpg

having done the roof section for the first floor in this style, I have decided that I need to go back and re-do the top roof section in order to tidy it up and to also include roofing struts with a similar motif (since the top roof section currently is missing anything resembling these).

Once the roof sections were finished, the inside of the floor needed to be finished. This consisted of using candyfloss sticks as an edging around the base of the wall sections, and using the oblong wooden sticks to make steps up on the three remaining sides.

Finally, all that was left was to add railings to the balcony. This was done by drilling holes into both the roofing struts and the centre of the outermost balcony plank to seat the uprights for the railings. These were made of candyfloss sticks that had been rounded to fit into the holes.

Once the uprights were in place, alternating sides were edged in, either using tongue depressors (to give cover for gaming purposes) or candyfloss sticks (to leave open).

At this point, the only remaining things left to do on the ground floor interior and the first floor is to paint the top of the walls so they blend in when the first and second floors are removed.

With regards further work on the building, the following is what needs to be done:

- floor the second floor

- add roofing sections, roofing struts, and a balcony to the second floor.

- add in bell section on the second floor.

- make a ladder for 1st floor ->2nd floor. Possibly include a bracket to hold the bottom of the ladder in place when the second floor is removed.

- rebuild the top floor roof section. This will involve removing the old roofing, and rebuilding it in the same style as the first floor roofing section to include the roofing struts.

Also, I need to finish the exterior of the ground floor. This will consist of pillars raising the ground floor up another inch or so, with a low wall blocking direct access to the building, but with stairs up either side. I will also need to cobblestone the exterior floor section.

so, thats as far as I have gotten so far. Below are some up to date pictures of the building as it stands.

IMG_20120819_041515.jpg

IMG_20120819_041509.jpg

IMG_20120819_041453.jpg

IMG_20120819_041546.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress Pics

The three boards together:

IMG_3330.JPG

Entrance to the Forbidden City:

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

Stoned Henge

IMG_3347.JPG

Up River

IMG_3358.JPG

The Sawmill water wheel

IMG_3355.JPG

The Hay Barn

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

And finally Down river from the Paddock

IMG_3353.JPG

Still lots to do before Friday so another late night tomorrow!

N.B. Mike has finished his Pagoda and it is truly AWESOME ! He also made another building for the 10T town. Definitely promoted to Master Builder.

Nice asian-layout, I guess I am not to question who you play :P - However it is really brilliant, love your details and that you keep the ongoing enviromental-asian-spirit/layout through the whole table. Open houses, not too many obstacles, that is just perfect - I am sure it is going to be a great table to play MalifauX ;)

So I called up this weekend to do some more work on the 10 thunders board with Chris. My main aim was to finish the pagoda itself, as well as do some work on the shopfronts.

below can be seen the interim layout for the board.

IMG_20120825_130120.jpg

IMG_20120825_130126.jpg

the empty board closest is the layout for the cafe, while the board touching to jetty and warehouse is the shopfront.

So, with the pagoda, I began by redoing the top roof - I was not enamoured of the design I had before, and whats more it didt fit the rest of the roofing done. So, I stripped off the reeds, and began again.

To do this, I made the struts with the horn motif again, and glued them in place. I then used the same material to make triangular sections that abutted on the centre pole and stood on the struts, to give the second angle to the roof.

I then glued down some hard cardboard to form the roof itself, and covered this in the reeds again. the second angle was then clad using reeds as well, to give continuity to the roof. The capstone was then made by gluing a bead, part of a halogen light, and a washer together, spraying them with Halfords Ivory primer and then washing them with wood stain.

IMG_20120825_182243.jpg

Next, I worked on the second level. This was both more and less complex than the first floor. I began by making a low wall around the entire centre for the roof sections to sit onto. This was done by cutting the wood used for the horn struts into shape and sanding them to get the correct angle.

I also used candyfloss sticks to give a step up on all the wall sections, and used them as interstitials between the pillars. I also used them to form the bell bar. The bell was a spare brass bell that Chris had in his collection of bitz. This was tied into place using string and then the string was coated in glue to set it in place.

IMG_20120825_182249.jpg

Next I used candyfloss sticks to make supports for the roof sections, and then glued thick card onto these to form the roof.

IMG_20120825_200422.jpg

Next, I glued the top roof section onto the pillars, and used doctors tongue depressors to make the balcony sections.

IMG_20120825_204808.jpg

I next glued the reed sections onto the cardboard to form the roof, and used the candyfloss sticks to form the balcony railing again.

At this point, the pagoda was almost finished. All that was left was to build the raised platform for it, and to cobblestone it and make steps up.

IMG_20120825_223906.jpg

The platform was made by using chamfered wood to give an angle up to the pagoda proper.

The cobblestone effect was done by using textured wallpaper cut to shape, which was first sprayed with black and ivory to get hte correct colouring, and was then glued in place. The back stairs were made by cutting into the platform section and gluing a cut to size doctors tongue depressor into place.

The front stairs were made by cutting into the platform and inserting steps made from the wood used to make the horn struts. Next, a section of wood was cut to shape, painted, and glued to the front of the steps. The front fence was a piece of terrain from chris' Bits box as well.

IMG_20120826_032546.jpg

IMG_20120826_032555.jpg

The very last thing to be done was to make the ladder for the second floor. This was done by gluing fence sections from Chris' bitz box to candyfloss sticks and spraying them ivory. A candyfloss stick was then put in place to act as a rest, and when this was adjusted to the correct length, the ladder was glued to it and then lashed in place with string.

I'll post the pictures of the shopfront later. My phone is being a bit finnicky with the uploads...

Boxed - ready for tonight...

Well almost

Had a busy couple of days trying to finish off buildings and other stuff and got about 95% of the bits done.

Some of it is rough finished for playing tonight but finally ran out of time and energy.

Matt (eyeofthestorm) came over this evening and did a fantastic job on the sawbench and running gear while I pressed on.

IMG_3363.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

I plan to take a load of decent quality photos when it is all set up for the gamers at NWG so I will post more on Sunday.

Now for some sleep....

Demoing at NWG Wicklow

Had a great couple of days with Mike in Wicklow at NWG. Many thanks to Nigel, the event organiser, for making us so welcome!

We had a great response from the gamers, both on the boards and Malifaux and the figures we took with us, with players taking time between their 40K and Warhammer competition legs to try out the game.

We also ran demos on the Friday night, before the competition, and had some great games.

It was certainly worth all the effort to make up the boards for this event as it drew virtually everyone there over to us at some time during the day.

I gave out a load of hints on terrain building and I hope to see more people giving it a go and making up their own boards.

I didn't get a lot of time to take photos but Mike has a load more which he is going to post up later with a fuller account of the weekend.

A great success and certainly looking forward to going back there again.

So here's a few pics to go on with...

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3408.JPG

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

NWG%2520Demos.jpg

Now I have time to finish of the rest of the buildings and put in a few more details.

Already got some ideas for the next set of boards...

So.... NWG:

Chris and I headed upcountry on friday to NWG up in Wicklow town in, of all places, County Wicklow.

From the beginning of the day, I knew it was going to be an epic odyssey, seeing as I would be otherwise occupied friday morning with some family stuff, so would be driving pretty much constantly from 4 AM friday morning.

So, we drove up to Wicklow, and arrived at the hotel around 4 and proceeded to set up. Below you will find some pictures of the tables we brought with us.

Unfortunately, due to a combination of illness and family emergencies on the part of the lift for the event for some of the players, there was a large number of last minute dropouts, resulting in not enough players for an actual tournament.

This wasnt too much of a problem - instead, Chris and the other guys who showed up with their stuff played a few games, while I began the epic demoing that was to continue for over 18 hours across the weekend.

The terrain was a massive hit - on the saturday we were in a corner of the main hall, where the 40k and fantasy was being played, and a good 70 people came past to gawk at the terrain and enquire about the game. I was kept busy doing demos all day, but a large number of the local players were intrigued, especially the owner of a new shop n the area.

wahey.

anyway, on to the pictures.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG