Extra Marionettes

Question

So Collodi can start with only 4 marionettes but can he have more than 5 during a game by summoning whenever already has 4? Also aren't the rare # restrictions doubled in a brawl, in which case can't you start with 8? That'd make Collodi pretty scary and obscenely fast.

9 answers to this question

Yes, Collodi can start with 8 Marionettes in a Brawl.

Yes, it's incredibly powerful.

To be fair though most things in a Brawl are incredibly powerful. I have never really found Collodi to be that big a deal, since once you have weathered the storm he is pretty easily dispatched (especially when using :pulses, :auras and :blasts or things that go boom when they are killed or damaged).

8 Marionettes would make him a bit scarier but you have to think of all the other goodies your opponent is going to be able to bring as well.

Collodi plus 8marionettes comes to a whopping 24 soulstones, they'll have other stuff. Given that that makes him easily the most mobile master and able to chew through the vast majority of targets in a singles turn, I think it sounds pretty sweet. Think of it like a coryphee that gets a third and maybe fourth member, a quartet as it were. Nasty.

Think about what those 2 Coryphee Duets are going to do to Collodi and the Marrionettes when they have weathered the initial storm. The Marionettes are at a -3 to the Duel total to start and this is before you take into account the Mercurial ability (which will offset the Marionettes Paired Wooden Claws). The Coryphee Duets are at +2 to the Duel total to hit them and also have Paired Blades, moderate Damage kills them outright (and their damage flips recieve a :+fate). They also have access to easy Healing (both from Live for the Dance and Soul Stone use) as well as a pretty nifty way to get around the Armor buff the Marionettes can get from Collodi with Orchestral Crescendo which causes Wd's vice Dg and is a :pulse so can get at Collodi himself (without having to worry about him shunting it to a Marionette within 6").

This is only one example of how to counter Collodi, I can think of several more that are even easier than this. Som'er can do it fairly easily, Hamelin can do it painfully easily, hell even lowly Rasputina can do it with a little forethought (and a heavy dose of base blocking).

What I am getting at with all this is that the Collodi Marionette swarm is far from auto win, especially after you have faced it a few times. The key is learning to weather the storm.

I never said auto win, although I'd be very willing to take on the coryphee. Coryphee aren't tough, just fast and hard hitting, but Collodi +8marionettes is infinitely faster, tougher as a whole, and hits harder. Even at -3 the storm of say 20+ attacks should cripple or kill them in one turn. Add to that the likelihood of the coryphee being slowed even if it did survive means maybe it kills 2 marionettes, maybe. The it most certainly dies the next round. Which then gives enough scrap counters to make 3 more marionettes.

I really see no way that ends in anything but a total Collodi victory.