Painting on a Budget

Yew Arcane

wash is basicly a very thinned (watered) down paint.

I would recommend using something other than normal water to thin the paints down and make washes. Most paints will not maintain enough coherency if thinned with just water (definately noticeable the thinner try to go).

I would suggest using a mix of matte/ gloss mediums (to keep the paints toward the satin or eggshell finish) and flow improver (to keep it moving) which will thin the paints to translucency and maintain the coherency of the paints.

When I talk coherency I mean the adhesion of the paint and the stability of the pigment. Using the above paint addititives you will preserve both of these (think of it as adding more of the binder) and can thin to virtual translucency.

I would recommend using something other than normal water to thin the paints down and make washes. Most paints will not maintain enough coherency if thinned with just water (definately noticeable the thinner try to go).

I would suggest using a mix of matte/ gloss mediums (to keep the paints toward the satin or eggshell finish) and flow improver (to keep it moving) which will thin the paints to translucency and maintain the coherency of the paints.

When I talk coherency I mean the adhesion of the paint and the stability of the pigment. Using the above paint addititives you will preserve both of these (think of it as adding more of the binder) and can thin to virtual translucency.

Another cheap way to get a similar effect is to do watered down paint, then to put a tiny bit of dish washing liquid in it (Palmolive, Sunlight or whatever). Only need a tiny bit, but it helps spread the colour into the low points.

I recommend Future floor wax to increase ink flow. The bottle is huge and will last forever.

Iron Heel definately agree with the Future Floor Wax when thinning inks, stuff is awesome.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? This is new to me. What's the ratio of Future:Paint?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? This is new to me. What's the ratio of Future:Paint?

This might actually be called an "old Skool" trick/ tip, often refered to as "Magic Wash". The ratio sort of depends on the brand of paint or ink but a safe start is 1:5 (some recomendations will be much higher and will effect the overall shine/ finish of the end result).

Here is a link for all things Future (in modeling at least)

Edited by Omenbringer