My Strat/schemes

Reconoiter

Gather Soulstones (unanounced)

Lifeless death (Levi die 4 times)

His strat / schemes

Distract

Breakthrough

Holdout

The table is setup with a fair mix of blocking terrain and a couple burnt out woods for difficult terrain. I setup the 4 SPA in the diamond pattern on the right flank. Rusty, Levi and the dog go togeather in the center and the 2 belles on the left of them.

My opponent deploys Zoraida, the 2 effigy and tuco more or less centered with the 2 stitched and vonschill going down my left flank.

Turn 1.

The typical movement and setting up positioning. Tuco wanders out too far into the middle of the field and I decide to capitalize on this. First bell walks up, casts lure on Tuco who is just about 17" from her after the move. Toss a 13 from my hand to garuntee success. The other bell then lures 2 more times (another 13 and a Red Joker from hand). With Tuco on my half of the board at this point the SPA's finish moving up and merge togeather for the Desolation Engine in melee range of Tuco... Poor Tuco... The stitched and vonschill are heading down my flank at this point. The D.Engine goes and with 2 attacks (1 general AP, +1 melee expert) he tears tuco in half and summons an SPA. Somewhere in here Rusty has killed the dog and I mistakenly use Levi to turn the counter into a SPA (total brain fart on my part there). Zoraida bewitches the Desolation Engine, then conduits the voodoo doll onto the Desolation Engine and forces him to charge Rusty with her casting expert. (+1 spell from the Arcane effigy action earlier in the turn) Rusty takes a beating and goes down to 4 wounds remaining. End of turn Levi dies and comes back near Rusty.

Turn 2.

The Desolation Engine starts us out,takes a walk and Charges that pesky voodoo doll. Connects solidly and tears it apart. I'm hoping this will cut down on Zoraidas Obey effectiveness. More movement from VonSchill and the Stitched. He starts with the Arcane to give the bonus casting to Zoraida and put a couple wounds on the Desolation Engine with ranged attacks. Rusty goes next to give re-activate to the Desolation Engine after walking up and putting up her Snares ability. (Dont want a repeat of the Engine being forced to charge her or the waif next to her!) Zoraida conduits the voodoo doll onto Rusty instead though but I resist the Obey to shoot the waif next to her. Levi pushes around a bit, kills the SPA he summoned last turn and properly re-animates it as a waif as intended and dies again. The re-activated Engine goes next and charges Zoraida. It's paired weapons making it a great option to ignore her Proper Manners ability I take a chunk out of her on the melee expert attack and burning a stone or two and then drop to 1 wound at end of turn (with 1 poison counter remaining from the original voodoo doll unfortunately.)

Turn 3-4

Things get a little blurry in the middle of the game. A lot of dancing around really. I'm trying to avoid the stiched that are now in range to start gambling and he's trying to avoid vonschill being turned into an SPA by Levi (we burn 4-5 stones between the 2 of us in one Levi activation and I manage to drop Vonschill to 4 wounds with Desolate wasting.) Zoraida flies away using raven to be on top of some difficult terrain. VonSchill starts picking on the Belles and kills one. Levi uses Harvest Soulstones on Rust at some point here as she will die to poison this turn.

Turn 5-6

Levi turns a stitched into an SPA denying his Does not Die activation. The now 4 SPA's start to join up with each other and turn 6 do their leap-frog tricks to rush towards zoraida and turn into the Desolation Engine again! The engine takes a walk and manages to get into base with zoraida again. Melee expert is used to kill a wicked doll summoned this turn (it was healing the remaining effigy and about to heal the remaining stiched, can't have that). Levi activates last and uses his last action to stack the deck and garuntee a turn 7. I flip a card to see if the game goes on and nobody is surprised when a 12 shows up. :)

Turn 7.

Zoraida has 1 stone left.

Levi has 2 stones.

I lose initiative 5 vs 6 and decide to reflip. Up comes the red joker... Well I guess I'll be going first then...

Desolation engine lets loose on zoraida and between a bad hand on my part and his last stone he is only dropped to 1 wound remaining. He actually decides to kill Zoraida with the remaining effigy. (He was afraid I had assassinate unanounced as I was trying so hard to kill her and this would deny me those points). Levi books it into his deployment zone and Vonschill and the remaining stitched hide in the creepy fog.

Game end here with the last couple models milling around.

Total at the end of game:

My Strat/schemes

0 - Reconoiter - Only having 2 significant models at end of game hurt here... (levi and the desolation engine)

1 - gather Soulstones (unanounced) - my one remaining stone saved me here.

2 - Lifeless death (Levi die 4 times) - Got this one easy, i think he died like 6-7 times this game.

His strat / schemes

0 - Distract - levi can really move when he needs to.

2 - Breakthrough - Vonschill plus the last stiched hiding behind terrain and in the creepy fog kept them save for the last couple turns.

0 - Holdout - Killed the last remaining models of his in his zone and levi with his waifs walked in on turn 7.

Total Levi 3 vs Zoraida 2. Very close game and a great time on both sides of the table.

Random Thoughts:

Card mechanics - First turn is a great example, since i'm pitching my hand at end of turn anyways, i have no problem throwing crazy good cards at throw away actions. It's really a weird feeling. I reccemend everyone give it a try once. :)

SPA choo-choo train - We got to see this in action twice during the game and both times it worked but felt that if a model with decent ranged attacks had been nearby to just pop one of the SPA's it would have fallen apart completely. Several times the SPA had tried to combat enemies near them on their own and they are completely inept at basic combat. This will need further testing.

Desolation Engine - This guy is an absolute beast. Killing friend and foe alike this game, Tossing re-activate from Rusty and then recombining the SPA's he generated from dying with the SPA's summoned off the corpses of what he killed...

Rusty - A lot of stones, fairly slow and just not sure what to do with her most of the time. Going to try her a few more times and see if i can make her 'click' with me.

Levi - Love his mechanics of bouncing around with his dying / resurrecting and card draw mechanics.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Desolation engine:

hex off lost focus to prevent recreating a desolation engine. similarly taking away desolate warping prevents it creating SPA with attacks.

Alyce:

You can take off the ca bonus, the card draw bonus, or the reactivate spell.

Of course you can't strip everything, or even most things but if you see the opponent is using something, take it away. In the above game taking out the desolation engine's ability to respawn and maybe Alyce's burn out could have been key.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, Shackled should be immune to Hex, or rather, Hollow Waifs should count as part of Leveticus, as master.

Although it would be quite difficult to play against someone that managed to Hex off shackled on all the waifs on the board you would still have the ability to come back at the end of the turn to a waif and attempt to get one the next turn. I would say it is unlikely to warrent an errata.

• 2 weeks later...
And I don't think Stitched can be turned into SPAs from Levi's spells. Anything that would kill it would activate Does Not Die and stop the SPA from appearing. Entropic Transformation only targets Living, Undead, Constructs, Corpse Counters and Scrap Counters. Stitched are none of these. Am I missing something?

If it is a legitimate target (by having 2 or less wounds) I would think it was sacrificed as the spell reads and as it does not fit into the criteria for a waif or a SPA it simply goes away.

And I don't think Stitched can be turned into SPAs from Levi's spells. Anything that would kill it would activate Does Not Die and stop the SPA from appearing. Entropic Transformation only targets Living, Undead, Constructs, Corpse Counters and Scrap Counters. Stitched are none of these. Am I missing something?

The spell's targeting restriction are "target model with 2 wounds or less" after that is the effects based on what the target is in order to summon a model. So in this case he just Sacrifices the target model and Levi takes 3 wounds.