The Iron Quill Round: Preliminary

edonil

Actually, why don't we just break down the actual stories themselves, what makes up a story:

Plot - the story, the way it's told, pacing, plot devices, etc.

Setting - location, portraying Malifaux, immersing oneself in the location

Characters - characterisation, originality, portraying Malifaux characters (if done), etc

Theme - ingredients plus extra themes, symbolism, motifs, etc

Skill - how easy is it to read, how complex is it, does it do anything unnusual or show particular strengths/weaknesses.

Mark it out of something like:

Very poor

Poor

Acceptable

Good

Very good

So skill would go:

Couldn't make any sense of it

Some striking issues that made it somewhat hard to read

Easy to read but rather simple

Tries some interesting stuff and executes them well

Attempts advanced techniques and pulls them off brilliantly

That's not devinitive, their might be a simple story that shows perfect grasp of what it does and depending whether you think that is worth a Good or Very good is up to you.

That's how I would do it.

Edited by ThePandaDirector

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer that way of breaking the story down into sections, I'm less keen on the marking aspect. Be it numbers, letters or set words, I don't really want to assign a mark. I've no problem with being marked myself, neither do I have quite the same qualms about identifying what I'd regard as grounds for improvement in a story. I just don't feel that assigning 'poor' or 2 or D to anything is going to help anyone much, so I'm generally uncomfortable with doing so.

I don't mind in the least if other people want to do that, I just wonder if it's ultimately discouraging for some people to be 'marked down' (obviously others will not mind so much and a few may possibly be motivated by such).

Now I'm just picturing a Jawa throwing his hands in the air yelling 'MONKEYS'

No idea why. Might be the tired talking.

Honestly, I'm not sure where to take the scoring. That one was pulled straight out of the Iron Painter, and I think there can be some benefit to it, but I can also see that there can be some issues with it as well. With painting, things are a little more concrete than writing...hm. I'll figure out what to do by the end of this week.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

I prefer that way of breaking the story down into sections, I'm less keen on the marking aspect. Be it numbers, letters or set words, I don't really want to assign a mark. I've no problem with being marked myself, neither do I have quite the same qualms about identifying what I'd regard as grounds for improvement in a story. I just don't feel that assigning 'poor' or 2 or D to anything is going to help anyone much, so I'm generally uncomfortable with doing so.

I don't mind in the least if other people want to do that, I just wonder if it's ultimately discouraging for some people to be 'marked down' (obviously others will not mind so much and a few may possibly be motivated by such).

Yeah, personally I take low markings to be reasons to improve later, but you're right, it might be discouraging to others.

To be honest, it's not just about people who react differently to criticism (which I honestly never consider - people should be mature enough to see the difference between subjective constructive criticism and personal attack), but those who give criticism.

Some people will give in depth thoughts, which is great, but many will just say "I liked it", "good read", "little complex, but a fun read". What does that mean?

By breaking it down into sections and giving a single recognisable spectrum for people to use, then while some will go into detail on each section, those who provide more basic feedback are at least being pushed to determine whether the setting was good or very good and that naturally leads to the author asking why they got graded good, what wasn't great about their setting. Even if they don't get an answer it tells them that they can improve while "good" by itself doesn't suggest any potential for improvement.

It's not about replacing honest, multi-tonal criticism with bland abstract words, but replace singular bland abstract words with something a little more scaled without putting words in people's mouths. It also wouldn't be official scoring, but a better way to stimulate criticism and discussion.

So I think the polls, etc are still the best way of deciding winners, because you should win by the number of people who enjoy your work, while a Judge's vote is worth more. If we do pairings then everyone can just PM which out of each pair they prefer. If not then just PM their top 3 (in order), or whatever. The problem however isn't how you decide a winner, but how you avoid some grabing all the attention (and consistently all the votes).

I'd really like to support this effort. Don't really write, but do read a fair bit (frequently out loud).

Don't wish to step on any toes here, but I'm happy to put out an offer that the winning entry for each round be made into an audiostory on The Aethervox podcast, assuming that all of the organizers/participants agree.

I'd also like to point out that I always need new material, so this offer is hardly selfless on my part...

What do people think?

I'd really like to support this effort. Don't really write, but do read a fair bit (frequently out loud).

Don't wish to step on any toes here, but I'm happy to put out an offer that the winning entry for each round be made into an audiostory on The Aethervox podcast, assuming that all of the organizers/participants agree.

I'd also like to point out that I always need new material, so this offer is hardly selfless on my part...

What do people think?

Aye to that =]

So long as you do the right accents of course ;)

Just confirming my participation.

I need clarification of 1 thing

What do you mean by theme?

Are we talking the Movie the Hangover?

Do you want it a prominent factor of the work?

Or do you want it to be referenced continually?

I'm not 100% on the intent.

Because I'm dyslexic. :(

Sure thing Wulfen!

At this point I'll be naming the themes and items. I had wanted to attempt to participate and abdicate role of judge to someone else, but college just smacked me upside the head with why that won't be possible. :P Perhaps once the contest moves out of the Preliminary Rounds we'll adapt that idea, might be fun.