Newb questions

Gdead909

Well first off let me say I am not new to this type of gaming just new to malifaux. I played 40k than moved to warmahordes (which I still play) but now my buddy and his best friend the local henchmen has started pushing this game and I was blown away by how cheap it is.

Ok so now down to business. Whats a good rezzer to start with? I look and think I decide but I keep getting drawn away by my shiny ball syndrome. I know I will either play a rezzer or an arcanist so I thought I would get your guys opinions.

Lots of standard answers to this, the most prevalent of which is:

what interests you when you look at the rezzers?

Japanese Spirits?

Scalpel-wielding Frankensteins?

Jack the Ripper and his undead prostitutes?

The cold and calculating undertaker that wants to raise an army of undead?

If power is a concern, I think most people would agree that Kirai and McMourning are a step above the others. (Some would argue that Kirai is two steps above)

Seamus is a nice way of learning the game, IMO. His avatar is very fun and when you do decide to change things up and play other masters, you may be in for a pleasant surprise when you do better with them. :)

But ultimately, I think the standard, "What interests you?" is the way to go.

Between those two, a lot of Seamus' "synergy" comes from belles, so for starting out, it could be that its a cheaper investment to go with the Seamus boxset since you get Madame Sybelle and 3 belles.

Anything you round out a list with would be more, but for having the belles, its a good start.

I would get more than my opinion on it though.

If you go with the Good doctor. The box set is not an apsolute buy. I think that you could go with only the flesh and McMourning for the buy and add some K9 Remain and a chihuahua . I would go with the Rogue Necro and some night terrors for the objectif. (for the start 25ss) then grow from there.

For Seamus i have not played him yet but i bought the Box set and i play some of the rotten belle with Mcmourning From time to time. I know that his Box set is a definitive buy from what you get in it you will play them alot. I would buy Molly and a dead Doxy to had to that groupe.

All in all it all depends on what you like. Fluff wise McMourning need is box but from the play wise you don't need the 2 Nurse and Sebastien is so so in my book. But It's not the same for seamus he play's with the belle and the fluff is with them at the same time.

Juste my 2 cents.

TBH I never run McMourning without some Belles, and Necropunks work well with both.

So possibly go for the best of both worlds.. Get the Red Chapel Starter (Which gives you everything you will need to start Seamus + Belles you can use with McMourning), add McMourning, the Grave Spirit (as he can work well for both Masters), then a couple of dogs and maybe a Frankie (to give McMourning some early game Body Parts and a summon for later game, though I often start with a Frankie.)

You have a good Start to both Seamus and McMourning.

Example lists

Ressurectionists Crew - 25 - Scrap

Seamus, The Mad-Hatter
--
8 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

• Madame Sybelle
    [6ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

Ressurectionists Crew - 25 - Scrap

Dr. Douglas McMourning
--
7 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Flesh Construct
    [7ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

Neither them are perfect but both will give you a feel for the Masters.

Then as you expand pop in the Rogue Necromancy, Bete and Necropunks/Night Terrors (which ever you like best both are great objective grabbers).

Betes give Seamus some extra killing power (which he needs), Rogue Necromancy give McMourning late game summoning. Necropunks and Night Terrors work for either.

So raising you up to 30ss

Ressurectionists Crew - 30 - Scrap

Seamus, The Mad-Hatter
--
2 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

• Bête Noire
    [9ss]

• Madame Sybelle
    [6ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

Ressurectionists Crew - 30 - Scrap

Dr. Douglas McMourning
--
7 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Flesh Construct
    [7ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

With a Rogue Necromancy in the wings for summoning.

The McMourning list is very close to what I normally run for him. For Seamus I tend to be slightly unorthodox so I run Night Terrors, Hanged, Jack Daw, Von Schill or Convict Gunslinger and only a couple of Belles max.

Edited by Ratty

Good lists from Ratty

Agreed you don't need the mcmourning box to start with him, I started with the box and only used 1 nurse about 3 times and now don't use Sebastian (although I have to admit I sometimes do just because I like the model)

I havnt used him with the belles because I have switched to collette for our league and have been using henchmen in other games but I can see they would work really well

Personally I would get the seamus box for the belles (and seamus) then if you want to run mcmourning add in stuff like flesh constructs, dogs & rogue necro and for general use get necro punks, bette, night terrors

Also von schill box is a good bet particularly if you are considering a second faction in the future

Get some dogs, did I mention the dogs, loving the dogs, 25ss, 8 dogs & bette, crazy stuff

Yes

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Some models, such as levi and his crew mostly can however make models not drop counters if the would normally do so, but in general they do drop counters.

Are you referring to Sebastion? If so it's because he's not very good for what Resser's need. He's not bad, he just doesn't excel as he is very slow, doesn't have a very good Cb, and is a living model. He has his uses, but unless you need something to kill a bunch of your own models in one action he doesn't have much of a place in competitive Resser lists.

To be honest I've quite like Sebastian the times I've taken him. He does do a reasonable amount of damage and is solid for his points. But he's not really essential to get McMourning working. I was trying to give you a run down of how I would get the most out of both Seamus and McMourning for the least initial outlay (IE with as many cross over models as possible).

However I have him, I love the model, and I do use him quite often when I play McMourning. But when you have 8 crews and a large number of additional models for each faction, I don't get to use him that often, especially as I try and run a different McMourning crew everytime.

Ok he seemed like a good model to help support the dogs. Kinda make him like a huntsman lol, but its all just theorycraft for me. Hmmm well now I have a hole in my list. U had the flesh construct as part of ur crew is that just so u have one to start before u summon more?

I find that they are deceptively fast, with the extra move in the end phase. So you can run them up the field and start laying into the enemy to tie them up. Then it either leaves a nice pile of Corpse Counters just where McMourning needs them to summon a new Frankie or a Rogue Necromancy, or it stays alive and kills things helping McMourning to do his job.

Yes, Ratty is correct, McMorning's beasties are quite nice. I tend to look at them as exceptionally cost effective paralyzes, with no resist. When McMorning summons something the critter does such extreme dmg that an opponent often burns activations to kill it as fast as possible, and I rarely ever have it live the turn out. I'm ok with that, because it often takes the full activation of 1 or more models to kill it, which for me is as good as paralyzing them, and if my critter happens to do some dmg on the way out, so much the better.

If they don't kill it, my significant critter will go rampaging through their crew. If they do kill it they there are going to be a pile of counters there to help summon the next one.

McMorning is very well designed, and there are numerous builds you can put together with him, as his Cache size, and deadliness give you more flexibility than any other Resser master for your crew construction.

Keep in mind that I absolutely love Molly, but currently she isn't a very competitive choice for any Resser master. McMorning doesn't really gain anything from bringing Molly along as she doesn't give him anything useful enough to spend 9 stones on. If you want to bring a henchman with McMorning Von Schill tends to be the blue ribbon choice.

A belle or two can be very useful with McMorning, as being able to pull something into range of a critter McMorning has summoned, or into range so that McMorning can slice them up in an ugly manner

I run Molly with Seamus a good deal, not because it is a very good option, because it isn't, but because I love her so much. It is definitly one of the instances I just can't help using a model that isn't the most efficient at what it does. If you are interested in giving her a try here are a couple of things I recommend:

1: Never run her without a Grave Spirit. One of the biggest drawbacks to Molly is that she doesn't have a useful extra action point to cast spells or move. Instinctual is ok, but what it tends to get used for more than anything is putting her pitiful back up. What the Grave Spirit offers, besides the Armor 2, is essentially an extra action. Once the Grave spirit is linked, often to Molly, it doesn't have to spend any of its actions to move which allows it to channel cast a spell of Molly's. I tend to find it is really useful to channel cast the Shocking truth if you are in range, but you can certainly use the Terrible Secret if you aren't in range.

In theory yes, it would be cool to chain summon a Necrotic Machine to blow up models with Philosophy of uncertainty, but the resources to do so, in Cards from hand, SS spent to up the TN, and Corpse Counters used to summon more Necrotic Machines is just to intensive in my experience. I find I get more effective uses from the Grave Spirit.

2: If you bring Molly, I generally want to run a swarm list as I'll want to have Corpse counters enough to summon things with her later on. Additionally it is helpful for the spell you'll most often cast with Molly, Terrible Secret. The thing is, as awesome as forcing a double negative twist is on your enemies is, the actual most common effect it has is just allowing you to hit easier, it very rarely allows you to more easily get severe dmg, it just makes it far more likely you will hit. Since the weak dmg of ressers is pretty bad including more models to make attacks tends to be more successful in my experience.

If you want to give Molly a run with McMorning be careful of your crow and mask management. McMorning in general, is the better model to save masks for, so he can more easily use scalpel Magic. Conversely don't forget that Molly's Imbue Vigor doesn't have a rst, so you can use it on an enemy model and then use Rotten Belles to pull them in at the new and increased walk speed.

If you get the ability to do so, Copy McMorning's Dissection with Molly's Whispered Secret, and then use the Grave spirit to Channel cast it, as Molly will keep the spell as long as she doesn't try to cast it.

Crow management will be tough as well, so do your best to remember what you need them for at any moment. Crow Management is one of the reasons that I find whispered secret to not be all that useful, as I often want the crow to do something else, and very rarely have to crows to use that spell more than once or twice. Usually I'll try and set up near a model of my own that has a spell I want, and then copy it just so my Grave Spirit will have it for the rest of the game.

I hope those tips will be helpful should you embark on using my favorite, if not most effective, model in the game. GL, and if you find any other effective tips let me know!