Turning into an avatar without room

Gollum528

Question

This came up today in a game and I'm not sure how to even start looking it up in the search. The question is when you have to avatar automatically but you have no room for your 50mm base, what happens??

example:

It's turn 6 and Zoraida has met one of her manifest requirements, when she goes to activate she is in base contact with 5 Gaki and can not fit a 50mm next to her without overlapping it on a Gaki's base.

Does she

a: not turn into her avatar this turn

b: get sacrificed

c: turn into her avatar and push the Gaki back to make the needed room

d: automatically avatar as soon as she is able

or e: other

I'm guessing it's either c or d but a would make sense as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another alternative that I missed though.

7 answers to this question

I'm not %100, but I think in this scenario it would be option A. The rules for avatars say they replace the model, and the rules for replacing say you place the model that is replacing the original model and then remove the original from play. Since you can't complete the first step, I would assume that you can't complete the second step of removing the model and she just would not manifest that turn.

Incorrect. This topic was asked a few months ago, and the Marshalls at the time said that the issue was being looked at, until they had a more official ruling they said to play it in this way:

Essentially, if you Manifest, and are surrounded by models so that there isn't room for the Avatar's new base size you will carefully move the surrounding models directly away from the manifesting model until there is enough room for the new base size. Basically move them all as little as possible until there is room.

The Marshalls might change this stance in the future, but currently that's the way I remember it.

When Manifesting an Avatar where there is not enough room to place the model, center the Avatar over your Master and shift any models backward just enough so that there is room for it. If any of the models run into other models or terrain that they could not enter, including Dangerous terrain, players should shift the remaining surrounding models and Avatar’s placement in a mutually agreeable way, leaving those models which couldn’t be moved where they are.

If there is still no way you could place the Avatar after shifting models and the Avatar, then the Manifest Action cannot be performed. (eg. If Ramos is in a 30mm corridor, there would be no way you could place the Avatar.)