treasure hunt - does falling make you drop

steelwraith

Question

11 answers to this question

I would argue you do drop it - you're moving vertically from an effect that is not a Walk action - the vertical equivalent of walk is climb, and I think you're allowed to carry it while climbing up or down.

This is definitely the correct reading of the rules, but I'm not sure if it is the correct application.

The rules for Treasure are written so that the model drops it not only when it takes an action different than the walk action, but also when it is moved by a movement effect other than the the walk action.

This is intended, IMO, to stop models not only from doing stuff other than carrying the Treasure, but also prevents things like Lure or Carry from being used to accelerate the Treasure bearer.

However is a fall actually a movement effect, or is it simply something that happens when executing a movement effect over a change in elevation? (1. it isn't listed under the movement effects, but as a separate rule, like Fly or Float; 2. It isn't called an effect in the rule itself; 3. It is defined a a result of movement effects.)

Secondly, when the fall is a part of the Walk movement effect, shouldn't it be exempt from Droping the Treasure?

Edited by Q'iq'el

My call is that the fall is part of the walk action so thus the model keeps the treasure.

The movement rules on treasure hunt were put there to prevent models from using outside of activation movement effects to get the treasure. Pre-Rules Manual a Seamus crew could run up to the treasure and then lure it back to the deployment zone all in one turn(and if setup right possibly in one long companion action)

So I say if you use your walk action to fall then you hold on to the treasure.

I'd allow the model to keep the treasure as long as it does not get more than 4"of total movement. The rules are written in a way to make you actually walk while moving around stuff (spirits lose move through, and fly and float ate lost). It seems quite intentional that any thing that gets the model moving more than 4" per ap it has causes a drop...

unluss you are up say 6" and need to move down to move horosontaly twards your deployment zone

If the distance is supposed to be the horizontal distance to your deployment zone, this doesn't matter at all - the other side has the equal distance to beat should it be a Shared Strategy Encounter and you ensure (almost) that the Strategy itself presents relatively consistent challenge in every type of Encounter (having to go around obstacles can modify the horizontal distance though).

So yes, in particular cases some units may take shortcuts and fall (which also means they get damaged, so there is a tradeoff), but the bigger picture is that the challenge is more fair that way.

If you decide to consider that as extra movement, yes. However, in a standard deployment, you will need to move the treasure 12" horizontally to get it to your deployment zone, regardless of whether it's on top of a building or on the ground. That's three treasure-limited move actions, which I think is the intent.

You'll also be taking 4-12 damage from falling 6", which is almost penalty enough in itself.