Bleached Models - My Ongoing Malifaux Projects [Heavy on Images]

Oh thankyou so much! That would be so very appreciated!

The other thing I see everyone making but no one seems to have posted a tutorial for (well, I'm sure there are on the webs in general but maybe not here) is how everyone makes those gorgeous bases? Haha, the whole concept of making it actually look like a rock or log baffles me!!

Half the time,... they are just glueing rocks or twigs from their driveway onto the base. Many of the other bases come pre-moulded with various details on them.

Indeed quite a lot of basing materials are just natural things you can pick up that are laying around. LIttle bits of sand and tiny rocks, some small twigs that become huge logs on the base, etc... Often you can actually buy kits that offer you various materials to base with. Then there is awesomeness like miniNatur, a line of products that gives you grass and tufts of various kinds to glue onto your bases for a more realistic, in scale, grass effect. A lot of people also use paints to create an awesome effect as well. Mako, for instance, painted in some stones in various colors at the bottom of a base for his Misaki model (In one of the Wyrd chronicles) and then added some water effect to it to make it look perfect. There is a lot a person can do with it.

I used quite a lot of pre-made bases from companies. They are usually cheap, costing about 1€ a piece and look good. Now I am at a point, where I want to make all of my bases myself. It is more fun and you have a unique base for every model.

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

Bleachy's Blonde Hair - A Quick Guide (LOL XD)

01. Base coat in a 1:1 mix of Averland Sunset (GW) and Karak Stone (GW)

02. Wash the hair with a 1:1:4(5) mix of Amethyst (SWM), Strong Tone (AP) and Water (This step you use a runny paint and only apply it to some of the recesses and ever so gently. You do not want to drown the original color in this wash. You just want to be able to access the depths of the hair sculpt.)

03. Wash some of the hair with a 1:4 mix of Strong Tone (AP) and Water (Here you only add in some different variety to the recesses and create a more browner tone. It just helps create different kinds of depth within the recesses. You do not want to apply a lot of this everywhere and you may need more than one coat to get a really good effect.)

04. Touch up the details with the original base paint. (This helps you clean up any parts of the hair that has been stained by the washes that you will want to keep in that great color.

05. Add 1 drop of Bone White (VGC) to your base tone mix and highlight the hair (Here you want to focus on more pronounced hairs than others. For instance hairs overlapping other hair bits would be lighter than the overlapped ones.)

06. Add 1 drop of Bone White (VGC) again to your base mix (Highlight your highlights. Remember to always leave behind a bit of the original color you used to highlight with. This helps create a smoother transition.)

07. Final highlights with pure Bone White (VGC) (Just do small tips and strands with this for the final touch.

Optional: In the washes you can add 1 drop of glaze medium instead of a drop of water. This helps quite a lot as it helps retain the paints 'thickness' and doesn't make it too runny.

This is what it looks like after I do it. lol

20130418_190935_zps8b687ee4.jpg

GW = Games Workshop

SWM = Secret Weapon Miniatures

AP = Army Painter

VGC = Vallejo Game Color

Thank you very very very much! I really do appreciate it!

I didn't even think of using things I found around me on the bases! Haha, it seems so obviously clever now!

And the hair guide is awesome! Thankyou for including what brands each of those paints are for :) Lets me look them up to see if I have one similar in my set. *da.bomb* Very appreciative that you would take the time to write it out for a newbie! *grin*

Edited by Lussuria

Hey, no problem.

Doesn't really take long to write up guides. It just takes long to take the photos needed to show off. Haha. Especially since I do not have that many models with hair coming up. As weird as that sounds. lol

At the moment I am working on some Infinity models. Soon there will be some funky hair shenanigans I will be able to pull there. May just go for specific colors and a camo effect on anything.