Bleached Models - My Ongoing Malifaux Projects [Heavy on Images]

I actually got the idea of orange skin, not because I am an orange addict *cough*, but because I envision them as 'greater' amphibians. In other words. Frogs. Or some sort of reptile/amphibian/critter hybrids. xD

Here's the critter pretty much finished. Just gotta add some little natural extras to the base and then soak it in some water.

post-10280-13911928806403_thumb.jpg

Im loving your take on nmm. Looks really nice and the blends are smooth and flawless. Great work :)

Ps what do you use for your base, as in the little extras you glue on? Do you get them online?

Thanks! It surely has room for improvement. Especially since I just paint it in whichever way I like it. I am not really taking actual light reflections into consideration when painting it.

True NMM only really belongs on display models. You can only painting the lighting angles on a 2D model and not a 3D model, since the reflections change depending on how the model is placed. Painting true NMM would kind of make the model look weird from various sides but one.

I actually messed up some of the blending on that gun. lol

I plan on making a tutorial on how to make swamp bases once I have finished painting the Ophelia crew. So probably the beginning of next week will have it up and ready for people to read and look into. I plan to list the materials I use in there as well. :)

Orange gremlin!? Nice! Excellent work, sir.

Indeed! Orange all the way! <3

Loving the finished model!

A suggestion: try taking a picture on some darker surface instead of your hand so we can apriciate the orange skin more :)

Thanks!

I would, but my problem is I have really poor lighting in my apartment. The only place I can really get any light is from my desk lamp, which is what I used with my hand. It is complicated...

Once I get to it though, I will try to take some 'professional' photos of my models and repost them for everybody to view. :)

Here's a WIP on Rami. I would have gotten further, but I feel really crappy at the moment with all this hayfever nonsense... So I stayed in bed all day.

post-10280-13911928824599_thumb.jpg

Here's what I have planned:

Coat: Dark Grey

Shirt + Glasses: Black

Hat band + Wristband + Slacks: Tan Brown

Shoes + Belt: Leather Brown

Gatling Gun: Golden Yellow

Pig: Green

Yes. Green pigs.

Your Kin look great... I mean, they will look awesome when you finish them.

The paler skin looks really great on them, also love how pink gums look great and the golden NMM is coming out nice and it's a very inovative idea to make their weapon look like toy guns (without corks).

They are my first crew for Malifaux I've decided to paint and I'm very hesitant on finishing them. I hope I'll get around it soon (this weekend).

I converted ponchos for young Lacroix and made sombreros for Pere and Raphael to cover their heads... I also tried to theme them to look like they are celebrating Dia de Los Muertos, but that is the part that is proving difficult because I've found out that freehand is a bit difficult on such small minis (and I'm not such a good painter as you and other people in these galleries. I only have these wild ideas.).

Anyway I love your schemes for weapons and pale skin. Are you going to tone all of their leather in the same way or will there be difference in those? I'm trying to get different color tones for different gremlin hats.

I love that theme idea. You should really try at it, even if it will take time. All you would have to do is paint their skin in a dark grey and paint their faces white like a skull. Add a couple red circles here or green ovals there and it works out fine. No real need to do too much freehand.

The sombrero idea is cunning too. I'm tempted to go for something like that. Maybe with alternative Bayou gremlins, so I have different models from the original four I already have.

I have a set range of colors I will be using for my model's clothing.

Tan/White

Tan/Brown

Leather Brown

Dark Grey

Black

In addition all of the metallics will be painted in Golden Yellow. I got a Light Leather brown tone which I use for wooden parts on their handles as well. The pigs will be green, mostly and besides that the tid bit of extra color for specific things.

So I cannot really offer you various leather tones. Only different colors, which I use to alternate specific parts of clothing.

Genrally you can paint different tones of leather by adding different colors to highlight with to the base tone.

Let us say you have a dark brown tone as a generic leather component. On one leather part you may wish to add bone color to highlight with. On other parts you may want to add yellow or even green. Use black to darken the leather tone and highlight it with itself.

There are limitless ways to go after leathers. It just comes down to your own personal preference. I prefer to have a coherent color scheme and unity on my models. Thus I wil be using the same shades of color, just on different parts of clothing for variety.

I've started leather coats with the same brown as a base color on Rami and Raphael, and inked Ramis with brown/red mixed inks and Raphaels with green/black ink mix. From there I'll go with a more classical brown lighter tones on Rami and I'll try for more of a weathered look on Raphaels coat, but I don't have a clue which tones to try out (I speculate that a more orange looking leather would have a weathered look).

I've already finished skull facepaint on Ophelias and Francoises faces and I want to make some embroidery on Francoises poncho since I've made it white. Young un's ponchos will be striped, but one will be more plain/brown/gray and the other one will be colorful...

And I have to practice highlights... I've almost finished Francois, Ophelia and Pere, but I wasn't sure about some of the highlights so I've repainted parts with highlights...

Also I did a Beetlejuice/jail inmate striped syle suit on Francois. I'm not sure how to highlight freehand on that suit...

Edited by Linus Mcmold
suits and stripes

Maybe indeed. We might even meet on a tournament this summer (wishful thinking), since I've been spying Guardians thread :lucifer:.

I'm looking forward to go visiting Malifaux events myself when I'll have a viable, good looking crew ready (I hope my neverborn will live up to my expectations some day).

Post Scriptum - I was thinking of pouring some resin onto Ophelias base after I finish the highlights. I'm trynig to make it look swampy...

I'd be up for that! I really want to go to that tourney. But I do work in my own family's company and often I am the one with the short end of the stick who has to man the fort in case **** hits the fan. So I cannot really say I will be there 100%. :s

Which gremlin models do you all have, btw? Just the Kin models (8)?

I picked up the Ophelia Box, Som'er Box, two packs of Mosquitos (didn't have anymore at my LGS) and a pack of Piglets for good measure. Got a Pigapult, 2 Mosquitos and a pack of Youg LaCroix ordered as well. Might even pick up Wong and/or Burt Jebson this weekend before I head out to the con.

Which Neverborn crew did you pick up? :)

I have Born on Bayou, Young Lacroix and Wong is on the way.

I've also got Ashigaru Musician and Wazabi goblins from Conforntation which I'm converting into Slop Haulers. I'll use them with Ophelias crew and I've chose more japanese looking minis to go with Wong since they are not kin. It's a shame that those goblin minis are a bit bigger than gremlins and I haven't cut off their noses, just filed them down a bit so they look smaller.

I'm not going to get any other gremlins.... I'm content with Ophelia.

I'm concentrating on Neverborn(Zoraida mostly, but since I've got almost all minis for Lilith, I'm also getting her and I'll get some of Pandora one day). I also have other outcasts(Leveticus & Victorias) and arcanists (Marcus for now).

Edited by Linus Mcmold

Those are some neat models. Can't wait to see them with the rest of your crew. I must say I am rather excited to get these little guys into gear and action. Still a lot to paint, though. After Rami I got Pere Ravagé left before I go for the Queen Gremlin, herself. Still pondering on her hair color. Either a really dark brown or a very blonde, blonde. Blonde would work well, imo, since she is very bimboesque.

You might want to pick up some Bayou Gremlins. They seem to be the bread and pretty much most of the butter for both Ophelia and Som'er.

Sounds cool. Generally an asian themed gremlin crew would look dashing. If I could sculpt at all, I would try for it.

I actually already have my Ophelia based. She's on a similar base as my other gremlins. I will probably paint her hair the same way I did Candy in my Neverborn crew. Very light yellow tone washed with purple. I will have to experiment. Or I use the same color I use in the guns. That is kind of my default blonde hair color.