A diamond in the rough?

LordZombie

So I have no idea how things go in the other faction discussions, but things always look pretty sad and pitiful in the Resurrectionist side. Seems like every thread is just full of post about how bad Resurrectionist are. If I were totally new to Malifaux and used the forums as a guide as to what faction to play, I would never pick Resurrectionist. So I wonder, if all the masters are no good, the henchmen we have is terrible, and the minions are all way below the average for Malifaux, why do you play Resurrectionist? Where is our diamond in the rough, the one few models we have to hopefully win a game with? What good thing could you said to someone to get them to play Resurrectionist?

Please note, that none of this includes Kirai. She is more an outcast within Resurrectionist. She and her minions are pretty much the only ones you will see that something positive to them.

I have to Disagree. I Have seen a lot of good post about some of our Minion. Let's take the dead Rider. In the Ressurectionnist forum we say he is easy to kill ect ect. But if you go and check ppl playing Levi they will bring him in alot of the time.

I play the Bete Noir alot too. She is an amazing Piece. Don't get me wrong you need alot of stuff to make her a really good girl but when you play really good with her you can bring her down close to other model and wreck avoke.

I love the Night Terror. I mostly never go out without 2. They are great objective grabber and are worth 3ss and are significant. And Marcus love them 2.

I Really like my K9 remains. But they are my main piece that i use to bring down Bete against some none living/ none undead crew. You kill or get him kill in the melee of your opponent and Bam there she is.

That is just a couple but there is more: Grave Spirit. McMourning (love him/ My Main master). You just have to learn to play and love your crew.

Ressers get a bad rap on the forum, or at least there is a hovering negativity about their ability. Even your post betrays it -- Kirai as more of an Outcast within Ressers? Why? Why discount one of the best Masters in the game from the Faction?

Anyway, I would discount much of the Resser negativity. They have many diamonds.

Rezzers are not great, they're down there in the weakest factions no matter how you cut it.

That doesn't mean to say you can't win with them. It means that assuming equal luck and equal skill with your opponent, you will lose. Of course those two things are never equal, and hence you just need to be better and/or luckier to win with them than with other factions. Some people take that as a challenge, or some people play them because they like the faction more than its relative power level.

Rezzers are a very popular faction despite all of the above, and you can win a lot with Rezzers if you're good enough and lucky enough!

Ressers are to Malifaux what dwarves are to WHFB - their theme and playstyle attract 'fluffers' and not more hardcore competitive players - hence their players are non-competitive, hence everyone says they suck. In reality - a well-played and well-chosen resser list can beat anyone at anytime (except maybe hamelin ;))

I'm the only Resser at our LGS(Lucidicide's store) and I've been using McM and Kirai. Kirai can put on some serious pain on the opponent, and if you aren't paying attention to McM, he WILL punish you.

Also, we have one of the best 4pt models in the game: Rotten Belles - 8WD model with Hard to Wound and can pull your opponents off an objective with only a 4+ card. Luring your own pieces out of trouble has saved me in more games than I can remember.

I think the main reason Resser's are underestimated or considered "bad" is because they have a steep learning curve compared to other masters. Kirai is really tricky with her movement and use of her abilities. A good McMourning player will be hard to pin down and he'll kill whatever he wants. With his Avatar coming out next month, he's going to be even harder to take down.

Right now I'm working on Nicodem(Who I thought was terrible when I first started playing) and he's actually a decent master; it's just a matter of filling a niche and perfecting a list around your playstyle. Recycling your models + one of the best card draw mechanics in the game is awesome; not to mention Rigor Mortis. Bolster undead, giving punk zombies a cb9 while they're paired and can Flurry... Master's are even scared of a bolstered Punk.

One huge weak point of Ressers are their lack of a decent ranged fighter(Besides Seamus, who is much more than that). However, we have access to Von Schill; granted he's a 10pt model. I occasionally bring him with McM and I might be throwing him in a few other lists in the near future.

We also have Shikome, and now Jaakuna.

We've got plenty I think a lot of people play ressers slightly wrong (that's not to say I'm right).

One of the best things we can do is recycle. I take a Desperate merc & use him for firepower turn 2 or 3. Then kill him myself for healing & corpse / BP counters. My playstyle probably harkens back to my Vampire Count days in fantasy where I do attrition. With ressers I find it's ok to take some hits as I can heal them back with McM and Nico. Or if they do die I can use the corpse to make new ones.

One of my favorite tricks with McM & desperate mercs (2) is to turn them into a rogue necromancy. The desperate mercs do their shooting turn 2 or 3 then McM strikes one with his (0) Scaple Slingin', Dissects it for the kill, goes fast strikes & dissects the other. that's 7 BP counters of 2 models I only need one more to summon a rogue necromancy.

What other faction can take 4SS worth of models, use them efficiently then turn it into 10SS worth of models? While it's not terribly easy to make more units(Usually need a 10+ of crows) I think one of our best strengths is that we CAN. Yes lilith can grow up & Ramos can make spiders, levi can make steampunk Aboms but who else beside ressers can make multiple models for what the situation needs. Granted Seamus is limited but he does have a choice now.

Speaking of Seamus never ever underestimate undead psychosis. In my humble opinion it is one of the best spells in the game hands down.

To me, the strength of a master doesn't matter. As long as he/she is fun to play, and play against, then who needs to be concerned with strength?

In a game like Malifaux, where killing each other isn't always the objective, all you need to do is get your objectives completed. Yesterday, me (Seamus) and my brother (Ramos) played a game with the roles reversed. I played as Ramos, who the Tactica says is horrible, against a .50 flintlock, jugular slitting madman and was one turn away from winning. Personally, I point my finger at me, he managed to kill Ramos in one turn, not because Ramos is too slow to get to a good position (I had him in one, he lured me off it), but because I used my soulstones poorly. But Ramos dying didn't end the game for me, it just meant that there was one less distraction for me to cause, one less model to complete my objective. In all, it was a great game that was ridiculously close and could have gone in favor of either of us up to the last turn. (The game was a draw, if anyone is curious.)

Just my opinion. I also don't play in tournaments however.

Seamus is the Diamond in the Rough =D.

Seriously though, I think the main problem with the faction is the lack of decent minion choices. If you make a list of the minions available to the faction, leaving out Kirai and her spirits, you are left with a handful of minions that are useful. Also, I feel like we have a lot of "niche" models that used to work well prior to book 2 and 3, but have been left in the dust. I love my Ressers and the challenge is offers me as a player. Ressers are also the only faction that hires models with the expectation that they will die and become more useful as a corpse, which is a strange concept.

Not bad, fellow Ressers. Out of 9 post, only one was kinda negitive. Some even went so far as to actually post up what they think are good models. As someone that never plays anything competitively, I enjoy the Resurrectionist. For me, it is fun to run Seamus and the Redchapel gang or Molly and the Horrors. I am the guy who plays McMourning and never kills any of my own models for body parts. I just feel the Resurrectionist need more people with something good to say versus those that can only point out the bad points. Let's keep the thread going.

Who cares how they play in the game, what other faction has undead hookers?!

I think a lot of the negative view of the ressers comes from players that were around for the book 1 era. When it was just book 1 stuff they were the worst faction and that view has just stuck. With the introduction of things like night terrors, rogue necro and dead rider, they are now on a par and can be truly horrific to play against. And not to forget the awesome henchman power of Molly (ok, admitedly not every addition was awesome!).

I said it in another thread and will say it here.

I only play rezzers and at adepticon, my two most enjoyable games were losses. The fun in the game for me is not tied to the outcome, but to the gameplay and I enjoy rezzer gameplay.

Of course its fun to also win, but my goal in a tournament is fun, not victory. I do not get enough time to play in my life, so any tournament I attend is likely to be a considerable percentage of my total play for that year.

That having been said, there were plenty of competitive rezzer lists at adepticon. (Of course it was two outcasts in the finals, though, but that's more about them being high than us being low, IMO)

A standard box set costs $20-30. This (typically) gives you a good idea of the master, and a glimpse where your future purchases could take you. This doesn't apply to any of our masters! Mostly due to our factions ability to bring new models on the field. Now the closest master that does follow the standard template of box set + blister = DONE, would be Seamus. Once you pick up some dead doxies ($12-15) you have yourself an army, with all options covered. So after a few games you should have a good idea what a Resser master is, right? Well no, not exactly. The problem is you've picked the master in an army of summoners, who isn't really a summoner. This can lead to a lot of confusion as to what your role is.

Lets use Lilith as an example as she has some of the greatest appeal from a new arrival of Malifaux.

1) Box set + blister = done!

2) Limited model specialty

3) Clearly defined role.

So Lily is cheap to start, you know exactly what you should be buying, and you know what you're supposed to do. You aren't debating melee vs range, or endurance vs speed, magic vs physical. Everything is fast, melee focused with high damage. Also the few magical or range attacks available to you are through unique models, so you'd only be getting one anyhow.

Points one and two apply to Seamus, but clearly defined role... nope. You don't have the uber cb of a melee master, nor the raw damage dealing (from afar) of most casters. Even your greatest used skill (terror) is limited by models immune to it's effect. So instead of a clear cut easy to access master, you've actually been given a subtle master who relies a lot on the interaction and adaptability of his force. One who rewards you for being very close (but not engaged) in the action.

For the most part that's what Ressers do, rely a lot upon the interaction of their troops. So when you don't have flesh constructs, mindless zombies, or rogue necro's, etc. etc. etc. you aren't getting the full effect of your faction. The biggest obstacle a Resser faces is jugging three resources: corpse tokens, models in your kit, and crows in your hand.

I just find that Resser masters have the most "character" out of all the masters. McMourning and Sebastian are hilarious, Seamus and Molly could have their own tv show on the comedy channel. There's just a bit more flavour I feel. Now that doesn't really help competitively but I rate fun much higher than being the best in the land. Every time that copycat killer knocks himself back and hurts himself firing a handcannon out of a top hat I kill myself laughing.

Plus, undead hookers.

I just find that Resser masters have the most "character" out of all the masters. McMourning and Sebastian are hilarious, Seamus and Molly could have their own tv show on the comedy channel.

And you forgot Nicodem and Mortimer, who I always envision like an evil version of the "Odd Couple" TV show. With the neat-freak articulate smart one and the cigar chomping slob side-kick.

I play Rezzers because I have an affinity for the undead, like the aesthetics, and like the feel of how they play. I'm also in the top two in my local meta and am fine with Rezzer power where it's at. Me and a Neverborn Player fight over who's the best.

Although, to be fair, someone did just pick up Hamelin. While I haven't lost to him -yet- that was because of new player error, and I thought of how he could have won, exactly, each time. I'm currently trying to think of whether or not I can make Seamus my "Anti-Outcast" master just because Hamelin exists. The current issue with that is Levi.

Ah, the Resurrectionists. Allow me to lend a hypothetical machete to your mental thicket. As everyone who saw me at Adepticon knows, I was at Adepticon. Anyone who asked me any events I was playing in got the following answer. Yes, in the (insert some event or other), however I have to play the Neverborn. This statment was followed by a heaving sigh. All of the events required painted armies and the only painted faction I had on me was the blasted Neverborn. I was unable to play my beloved dead simply because they were not painted (don't judge, I paint by faction). I played a plethora of games that weekend and I can say with some certainty that seeing what others were playing, had I played the dead I would have won most of my events. I don't mean to seem like I am bragging I just know my tactics and I have beaten similar scenarios that I played Adepticon weekend before and come out on top with the dead. The game is not in how good the models are alone, no it is how good they are as a whole. The synergy with Resurrectionists is absolutely astounding, only rivaled by the cursed Guild. We are a toolbox army, and as you get more comfortable with your models and your tactics, and your luck you will find that while the stats of the models dont quite stack up, they dont need to. Our opponents have individuals working together, we have an individual cohesive force. If you can win A game, you can win EVERY game.

Good points everyone. Resurrectionist are just fun to play. The style, the theme, the masters. I often wonder if it is tournament style play that puts the dark outlook on some models, in Resurrectionist and other faction as well. Maybe that is another thread that needs to be started.