Arcanist Newbie

MrSatan

Hi there, me and some friends are starting malifaux and the arcanists caught me eye, especially the steampunk guys and the showgirls, just looking for info for how they play and how the diff arcanist gangs play, cheer

What I have noticed is the steamfitters set doesn't come with much compared to the others, is it balanced? That executioners thing must be pretty badass, or is that why they made the additional Kaeris box set? Thanks in advance for the help :)

Duet is just 2 single models on one base (but you need them for both sets of bases so magnets or pins are your friend there) and if you haven't read already you will probably want a set of mechanical doves as well.

Reason is, they just start working together instead of forming something new in appearance

Is there a card for the duet? Does it come withe the coryphee set?

Thanks for the help guys, will let you know how it go's on sunday, but I get the feeling I'm gunna get thrashed by L. Justice..

When you buy the Coryphee blister pack it comes with two models, two 40mm bases, one 50mm base, and 3 cards, two Coryphee cards and a Coryphee Duet card.

Like one of the other guys said, magnets or pins are your friend since you only get two figures to essentially make 3 units (each Coryphee individually on a 40mm base, and both figures on the 50mm base). You can either buy two blister packs of Coryphee so you can glue them onto the bases or use magnets and get away with only buying one blister pack.

actually the best place for any information regarding malifaux tactica are these boards. I have a showgirls tactica post up and so do a few other people. An example of a trick you must learn to utilize with collette is the bash trick and a few others regarding nabbing objectives first turn.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Also, your just going to have to feed lady justice decoys to keep her busy and try to take schemes that you can accomplish without having to be near Lady J.

Can someone help, I'm reading alot about the 'APC trick' but don't get how it works...

The APC trick is short for Armored Personnel Carrier and is generally what we say when we refer to using Colette's Disappearing Act on a friendly model.

But why would I want to use that awesome spell with a chance to mannequin replace on a friendly model?

Glad you asked.

Basically, you use Disappearing Act on a slow moving, hard hitting model like Johan to get him into combat faster. Because Colette can switch places with another Showgirl, it allows her to move across the board really fast especially with Duet and Cassie who have great move ranges. Disappearing Act buries the model then returns it to play at the end of the turn within 6" of Colette.

So essentially, cast Disappearing Act on a slow moving model (like Johan), move your other showgirls into position, have Colette on her reactivate turn swap places with one of them (preferably near the end of round), then when the round ends unbury said model within 6" that is conveniently close to face beating range.

Obviously, you aren't using a SS to cast Disappearing Act as you don't want to trigger mannequin replacement on your own model. Using this trick is nice because it allows you to take a regularly slow model and deliver him into combat or elsewhere he is needed much faster then him just, you know, walking.

Im sure you guys are sick of me asking stupid questions by now but here we go...

I'm flicking through the free version of the rules and the rising powers book (waiting for rulebook to arrive still) and a couple of things

1. When a model has a triggers and it has 2 suits (for example a ram and a ram) does that mean that you need a card with at least 2 rams for it to trigger or 2 cards with rams on it (so needing a soulstone for an extra card)

2. On collettes stats her CA & DF are in blue, why is this and why does it have a tome next to it?

3. Then a trigger has 2 suits and one is faded what does that mean?

4. CAn you use 1 '0' ability and one '0' spell or just one or the other?

5. When casting a spell does it have to match suit, for example magicions duel has a faded tome next to it, does that mean it has to be cast with a tome card?

Edited by MrSatan

1. 2 Cards with rams in, unless you have the suit built into your stat which brings me on to...

2. Her CA has a tome next to it, because it has a tome built in. So for example, if we take the 'surge' trigger (I can't remember if she has that or not!), then she needs two tomes. She has one built into her CA, and thus needs one when she flips on a card when casting something.

So for your question 1, needing 2 rams. Often you have 1 'built in' to your stat, and you only need one more.

They are blue, usually because they have a trigger assosicated with them.

3. Again, it's easiest for me to take surge with Collette as an example, which needs 2 tomes. One tome is 'greyed out' because it's built into her stat, so you only really need the bold one!

4. You can only use one (0) of anything each turn, unless you have instinctual special rule

5. You do have to match the suit when casting a spell, but since you already have the tome on your cast, you don't need one on the card!

Well I'm back.....wow lady justice is good, spent the whole game trying to dodge her but she still took out coryphee and showgirl. Ended up losing on VP.

Played a seamus game next, was alot easier. Just used the mobility of cassandra and coryphee to doubleteam his belles and other stuff untilhe just had seamus left.

Things I learned:

- Lady justice is bonkers

-The coryphee duet is amazing, so many options each turn. I studied the stats like a boss but still think I could of used her more (prectice, practice, practice!)

-The order of activation is crucial with showgirls (again practice)

-Showgirls 'poisonous gift' is amazing but I shouldnt be trying to hard to pull it off

- I think I played collette ok, but unsure whether death defying is worth it when I can just healing flip

- Am I right in thinking the only way to get the trigger on disappearing act is to use a soulstone as you need 3 tomes, one of which you get for three but you still need another 2?