Looking for some advice

RebeccaJo

So my boyfriend Jeremy (Jewomie) and I are looking into starting a few demos here at my LGS. The crowd here are heavy 40K and Hordes players. Is there any advice that you guys can share involving doing a good demo? What makes a demo good verses bad? What to expect? How to prepare? ETC. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance. :D

The best thing to do in my experience is to keep it fun and easy. The basic mechanic of the game is basically the card game "War" which is something I find almost all new players has played before. It instantly makes the game more accessible if the main mechanic of the game seems so simple.

Another thing I've found helpful is to limit, at least at first, the available options. Through crew selection that will be in use for the Demo, and in perhaps making custom cards which remove some of the less used or less common abilities from the first initial game. Even something as simple as a Rotten Belle has more text, and more rules associate with it than the commanding pieces in some other games. Limiting right from the get go what the model can do also helps with the "Brain Burn from mountain of text" that I've seen some players exhibit.

Another thing I find useful is to really play up the fact that Malifaux is a game based on objectives. I've never had good results in just letting two crews kill each other, as it might be a way to learn rules, but it doesn't give anything away towards what I think really makes Malifaux unique, and it overly favors certain crews. But in order to avoid "Initial Brain Burn I also tend to do away with schemes during a demo, or have them prepicked in advance, so that again, the amount of options doesn't overwhelm. I usually just run a shared strategy like Treasure Hunt, and sometimes I'll add one prepicked scheme per side.

Another Tip, make sure your demo crews are fully painted. One of the biggest enjoyments I find is that this is one of the first games I've played where it is not uncommon for both crews, even in pickup games, to be fully painted and it really adds to the experience. If you can get your hands on one it would also be a good idea to have one of Wyrds model catalogs on hand, as I've more than a few times had people really get excited over just being able to see the model range without having to expend any effort in looking them up. I've gotten at least 2 new players into it that way.

I'd also try and schedule your demos on nights when other games will be going on around you. In such cases a odd player might be waiting for a game and it is very easy to snag them for a quick demo while they wait. Additionally a well run demo attracts notice and interest from others in the immediate area, and the more people that are around the better the chance of even just getting a passerby to flip through a catalog. Even just the planted seed, even if they don't demo, can grow into a new player if the models and painting opportunities appeal.

I'd also see about making a deal with the local shop you are trying demoing in. You might not be able to do this, but I worked out a deal where Malifaux merchandise gets a small discount from anyone who does a demo, or from league members on league nights. Some business models for local shops work this way because they see the initial loss of profits as an investment in future repeat business, and it has been successful in some cases here.

Additionally, and I've found this to be one of the most important. If you are trying to grow the scene in an area try to have a regular demo/ play day no matter how infrequent, and ALWAYS BE THERE. the thing I've found that most often causes a playgroup to grow, and certainly to fail is the availability of other players. Even 2 light weeks of players not showing up I've seen kill play groups. Now of course real life issues might prevent this, be as much as possible if you set up a regular demo day, try to always be there or have another representative there so that your players know if they show up they will get to play.

I hope those ideas were some of what you were looking for. GL!

Tell them that 40k sucks and Malifaux is what the big boys play.

No, don't do that- I was kidding.

Things that have worked for me:

• Small games. Maybe even a 12-15 stone game. I recently ran Seamus/Sybelle/Belle vs. Justice/Judge/Death Marshal, letting the new player play Miss Justice so he'd have an easier time of things. Small scale means less punishment for playing loose with the Control Hand (that sounded dirtier than I meant it to).
  • Play a shared strategy with no schemes for the very first game- Line in the Sand, Treasure Hunt, Destroy the Evidence, and Stake a Claim are nice, straightforward strats.
  • Make sure there's enough terrain, especially if you're using a melee-centric crew in the demo.
  • Stick with Book 1 Masters, or perhaps Von Schill or Ophelia- don't think this will be a problem in your case.
  • If the Hordes players try Rasputina, explaining that models with Frozen Heart are a lot like casting nodes seems to instantly click with them.

As the runner of many a demos, most the advice given is pretty spot on. Painted crews, nice terrain and set up, and having all you need to run a game is the basics. I find that bring other models you have painted up and set to the side as example is good also. Lets people see what other models are in the line. One thing I learned from someone was the phase "keep it simple, stupid", which is good advice, but don't make it too simple. You don't want someone buying into the game thinking it is just a game of high flips, then they get Dreamer or Leveticus and find out it isn't. Even if you don't use some rules, let them know you are running a basic game and what extras the game has to offer. Setting up a special offer with the shop owner is good also, after the demo, they will be itching to try and a special offer will give them a reason to do so. It also helps if you have a game night you host Malifaux. No one wants to get into a game and find out there is no one around to play. Host the demo the night before or during your game night and then they can see other games being played or come back soon to see the games. This is the salemen in me talking, but have a list of prices also. Some people will get into the game if it is cheap and buy in even faster if they find a cheap box set. Let them know how the different box sets work. That is what I have to offer. Don't get disappointed if no one shows the first time or you only off one game, hang in there and keep trying. Best of luck to you.

As a Warmachine/Hordes player, I got attracted to Malifuax because of the models... Teddy, Candy and Baby Kade freaked me out. It does help to have fully painted models to show and impress possible players.

What also caught my eye is the low price to start. 15-20 ss crew starts between $25-$45. Then the $15 mini rule book plus fate decks (which can be proxied by a regular card deck). So basically, demo a 15-20 ss scrap and pick suitable strategies (no reconnoiter!) and show them that for less than $50, you can have decent size crew.

Also, try selling them the skirmish combat and characters. I had the difficult choice of picking between Seamus, Lady Justice and Lilith. I ended up with Lady J cuz her nickname reminded me of an old G.I. Joe character and her model looks awesome!

Plus, it is a great time to hook in Warmachine/Hordes players because we are currently waiting for the new Colossal book. I pretty much own everything that PP released for my factions and I'm just on standby. Other player may leave the game since they feel that the Colossals are PP's GW moment. I disagree but that's their choice.

Good luck and don't forget to CHEAT!

Something I might add is, if people are wary from getting suckered because of Warmachine's supposedly low* price point (which I have run across), be honest with them: Malifaux has a very reasonable price (probably $75 for the rules and a sizeable crew for 1 master, or the rules and 2 starters (also, it's good to note that some starters work hugely better with a blister or two, which is a double-edged sword, since it gives you a good direction to go in when expanding, but doesn't necessarily allow you to play the crew efficiently out of the box)), but expanding your forces can, in some cases, almost amount to a new faction (especially with the weird limitations Masters (Leveticus, Marcus, Zoraida, Kirai, etc.).

* Warmachine once did have a low price point, but they don't any more, and some fans talk about the company operates exactly as they did 8 years ago-- I don't think this is a misconception spread by the company and, I don't want to bash the game or players, but there is a vocal portion of their fanbase that seems to think that PP is still a tiny underdog selling a cheap skirmish game.

Edited by SpiralngCadavr

I'd just like to add my thanks to everyone in this thread - I'm planning on starting weekly demos at my local club in a few weeks, and this has been invaluable advice given that I've never demoed a game before! Just goes to show how much I've fallen for Malifaux *love*

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that this is a bit of thread necromancy, and I certainly do apologize for that. However my question is almost exactly the same as the original poster, and thought I'd just add it to the discussion.

I'm also looking to start hosting demo's for my local group, and was looking for suggestions on game size and what would be some good starter boxes to demo. I'd like to utilize two starter boxes that play somewhat differently, so that players could experience multiple aspects and how different masters and play styles work. Are there two starter boxes that would work for this? Ones that require no additional purchases other than rules and cards? I don't mind getting a few extra models, but being able to sell people on the 'buy one box of models and you can start' is a big plus in my mind.

Looking forward to any additional advice you all have!

I realize that this is a bit of thread necromancy, and I certainly do apologize for that. However my question is almost exactly the same as the original poster, and thought I'd just add it to the discussion.

I'm also looking to start hosting demo's for my local group, and was looking for suggestions on game size and what would be some good starter boxes to demo. I'd like to utilize two starter boxes that play somewhat differently, so that players could experience multiple aspects and how different masters and play styles work. Are there two starter boxes that would work for this? Ones that require no additional purchases other than rules and cards? I don't mind getting a few extra models, but being able to sell people on the 'buy one box of models and you can start' is a big plus in my mind.

Looking forward to any additional advice you all have!

I vote the Ortegas and C. Hoffman box. totally different Master play styles you can also bring in the Death Marshall box.

Zoraida and the Ortegas i would say, both work out of the box, almost, just need totem for Zoraida and not to many rules but show different things that the game has, ortegas are almost pure damage, Zoraidas box is largely objective based (silurids) but has a mele beat stick that can appear from nowhere at will sort of.

Those two will show all forms of combat (Mele, ranged and spell) and a few other things.

But what ive read is good master boxes for intro games are:

Ortegas, Perdita

Death Marshals, Lady J

Cult of December, Rasputina

Seamus

The vicks

Ophelia

Lilith (maybe with a box of young nephilim for growing into or ignore that ability, playing say vs a raspy construct crew like her box, and you need no additional models)

But i would definitely say an important one is to go for different factions at least, and hoffman box isnt so great as it is such a low stone value for him in there, 16 i think + whatever he can add to his SS pool.

How about Ortega's box and Rasputina's box? Both seem usable with no additional models needed for a 25SS scrap. Rasputina's SS cache would be a bit high, but I'd think she would want a lot what with all the casting she'd be doing. Plus it's different factions, and both boxes seem to highlight different areas of the game.