aZoraida Card Control List

Chucklemonkey

Hi guys

I am looking to give Zoraida some attention over the next few months and in particular want to try to put together a 35pt list that will maximise the fun I can have playing with my and my opponents control deck.

My thoughts so far are:

aZoraida 2

Arcane Effigy 4

Hodgepodge Effigy 4

Mysterious Effigy 4

Insidious Madness 4

Jack Daw 10

This leaves me with 7 points to spare and my initial thought is for a Stitched Together for some Gambling but wondered if anyone had any alternative suggestions.

Has anyone tried proxying the Effigy's with Zoraida? If so, what benefits have they seen other than the arcane effigies obvious advantages?

Also, how easy have people found it to Manifest?

Thanks

I've never played Zoroida nor aZoroida myself, so take what I say witha grain of salt, but I think if you were to replace your Insidious Madness with a Doppleganger you could get more mileage off of your deck control by copying the relevant abilities. Plus, it gives leaves you with 3 more soulstones, which just gives you the full 8 to play with.

I've never played Zoroida nor aZoroida myself, so take what I say witha grain of salt, but I think if you were to replace your Insidious Madness with a Doppleganger you could get more mileage off of your deck control by copying the relevant abilities. Plus, it gives leaves you with 3 more soulstones, which just gives you the full 8 to play with.

Avatar abilities cannot be copied, its part of being an Avatar. *da.bomb*

And the Doppelganger is an 8pt model. It cant replace the Insidious Madness.

I would look at the following

Neverborn Crew - 35 - Scrap

Zoraida, the Hag
--
8 Pool

+ Zoraida, Avatar of Fate
[2ss]

• Arcane Effigy
    [4ss]

• Doppelganger
    [8ss]

• Stitched Together
    [5ss]

• Stitched Together
    [5ss]

• Sue
    [8ss]

Sue can be dropped for a third stitched, and the effigy I think is the one that gives you an extra handsize. Replace it if I have the wrong one. I like Sue as something to obey with a good ranged attack, also not a bad weapon to copy with doppelganger. I was tempted to play 3 stitched before but the last time I tried something like that I hit some immune to influence models which ... shall we say caused some problems since virtually everything was vs will power. If you really want to maximize hand size replace Sue with the F. Librarian. But I think having some non-WP resist is needed.

I hadn't even considered Sue. I had considered The F librarian as a result of the theme and Tuco as a target for getting the obey manifest requirement but Sue would seem to fit nicely between them with some nice ranged capability and Hurt as option to increase hand size further during the turn.

Ok, so here is the first list I'm going to try

Zoraida

Arcane Effigy

Hpodge Effigy

Mysterious Effigy

Doppelganger

Stitched

Sue

That is 35pts on the button with numerous card drawing, discarding & re-using tricks which is what I was after.

Thanks for all the input so far all

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got my first game with aZoraida yesterday and It's safe to say that she has the potential to be phenomenal.

Now I was playing against Hoffman with shared recon (I also took breakthrough and reclaim Malifaux) so with that in mind my list changed somewhat to the following:

aZoraida

Silurid x 2

Jack Daw

Hodgepodge Effigy

Mysterious Effigy

Arcane Effigy.

I was up against the following:

Hoffman

Peacekeeper

Guardian

Hunter

LSA

2 Guild Hounds

As you can see I still wanted to try playing with as many cards as possible but without relying on WP so much.

aZoraida

Manifest

I managed to Manifest third turn after obeying one guild hound into the other and cheating in the Redjoker to ensure the kill.

Crystal Ball was cast first and second turn utilising a bayou two card. As others have said elsewhere having to use your 0 action in place of Raven could be irritating on the movement front but because I had met the two requirements I was able to move her forward prior to manifesting.

In action

She is an absolute beast and took down the (slightly weakened) hunter with pins and needle strikes and the Peacekeeper with withering touch. With the arcane effigy in use she got a ridiculous number of actions on her turn. This together with having such a large hand allowed me to hit the Pins and Needles trigger a couple of times so had two turns where it felt like half the deck was in my hand. Unfortunately it was the bad half.

I wasn't cautious enough with her however and this is something I will have to be more careful of in future. She was eventually machine puppeted to death by the Hoff.

Effigies

The Arcane Effigy was useful for arcane reserviour and his spell caused some slight damage to the hunter. His action to allow the leader an additional AP was used every turn. Very nice.

The mysterious effigy did nothing, I kept activating Zoraida first so never used his action to allow a face down duel. Not sure about this guy but certainly willing to try him again.

The Hodgepodge ended up just being an objective grabber. I still have high hopes for him and look forward to getting him more involved in future games.

As for Jack Daw, I just plain think I can't work that guy... I think I need to re-read his pullmyfinger entry.

Overall, aZoraida was phenomenal and has so much card control she really won't need too much more. I still want to keep playing with the theme and see how much more effective it can be.

(oh, and in the end it was a draw)

Edited by Chucklemonkey

You dont really need a list dedicated to card control with aZoraida, you just need to get off one severe pins and needles with trigger and you can pretty much lock up a game.

I think aZoraida is very underrated, and I also dont think a lot of aZoraida players have played her enough.

My aZoraida formula goes like this:

Zoraida (8ss)

aZoraida

Some henchman (Collodi/Von Schill)

Primordial Magic

<the rest, normally involving some Stitched and/or Doppelganger>

Basically you want max stones for manifesting nad getting off the pins and needles; once you trigger that 5-card draw once you can generally trigger it again because you have such card superiority.

I havent used Arcane Effigy yet as I dont play with unreleased models, but when it is out it will remove the need for the Henchmen to get the Primordial Magic into the list (not that you dont generally want one of them anyway, mind).

As an aside, Arcane Effigy is ridiculously OP and I'm amazed it got past playtesting.

Here's the aZoraida list I'm planning to use soon:

Zoraida List - 35 Soulstones

Zoraida (5 ss)

Option to Manifest - 2

Arcane Effigy - 4

Jack Daw - 10

Collodi - 8

Marionette - 2

Marionette - 2

Marionette - 2

Marionette - 2

Wicked Doll - 3

It look interesting to me. Can I ask how you normally use Jack? Do you find him to be worth his SS cost?