Nightmare Teddy as a count-as-Lord-Chompy-Bits?

Zwergenkrieger

Hi all,

I´m recently thinking about getting one nightmare Teddy just to use it as a count as Lord Chompy Bits. The reason is that I totally dig the Teddy and like to paint and play a Teddy themed force led by the Dreamer, ie

Dreamer

3 Daydreams

3 Teddies OR 2 Teddies and 2 Stitched

Well, to use as Daydreams I already got some Pupet Wars Teddies and the Nightmare Teddy would complement that model pool rather nicely. Do you think an opponent would be upset by this?

An additional problem arises with the rest of the Crew. 3 Teddies might be a bit boring, but Stitched Togethers – although being Dolls – do not seem to fit the model theme. I could convert these into more Teddy-looking dolls, though I´m not sure wether opponents would accept that conversion.

An other idea is to run Baby Kade because he bears his litte bear to battle, but being the only model in the crew that has to walk by his own feet, I´m not sure if he is any good gamewise. His "Where´s Teddy" rule seems to be potent, but being a (2) action it is of rather limited use. One tactic I can see is jumping in due to this rule at the end of a turn, staying Harmless and beat the crap out of the opponent next turn – if Kade is able to beat the crap out of something at all!

To sum it up: I´m willing to run a Teddy themed army no matter the cost or effectiveness – just pure Teddy-beat-down. :D

So what´s your opinion?

Any other ideas / advice?

ZK

Edited by Zwergenkrieger

I dont think that any opponent would be bothered by this at all. Malifaux is a game about theme. The tournament rules even allow it (and Wyrd model is allowable as a proxy, as long as you have the correct stat card and your opponent knows what's going on).

The only time I dislike proxies is when someone wants to use another copy of a model that's already on the board representing something else, as a proxy (eg: trying to use a Belle as a Zombie when he also has Belles on the board represented by Belle models).

Seems Teddy theme crews are having a sudden surge of popularity :P

As written above, I like to use my Puppet Wars Teddies as stand-ins for the Daydreams.

If you could find some smaller teddy bear heads, you could convert a pack of Wicked Dolls into Teddie Daydreams and save your relatively stout PW Teddies to use as the relatively stout Oogie Boogie Stitched Togethers. Of course I haven't looked to see if such a thing exists yet, but given the popularity of "creepy children's toys" as a theme, someone's bound to have something you can use.

Incidentally, am I the only one amused/bothered by the fact that Teddie was an option in the first book, given that the parts of Malifaux you play during take place start in 1903 and the Teddy Bear wasn't created until late 1902? They were pretty popular, but didn't really catch on until 1906. It's totally possible that some kid(s) of a rich Guild member just had to have the latest toy fad and Zoraida or whoever was inspired to create the Teddies by the few examples of the toys available. Plus, hey, alternate universe. But this makes the Neverborn much more pop culture conscious than I envisioned them being.

Meh, this is the kind of thing my brain comes up with when I am overtired. I should go back to sleep now.

Edited by CN the Logos

I think Teddy oriented crew would be cool

NM teddy for Lord Chompy

PW teddies as Day dreams

Teddies as teddies

only people who would complain would be hyper competitive people who are looking for an excuse to disqualify you. If thats the case just keep a copy of the models near by to swap out. All you would need would need would be the Daydream which you would probably buy for the cards anyway. I'm assuming you would already have the dreamer box.

If you could find some smaller teddy bear heads, you could convert a pack of Wicked Dolls into Teddie Daydreams and save your relatively stout PW Teddies to use as the relatively stout Oogie Boogie Stitched Togethers. Of course I haven't looked to see if such a thing exists yet, but given the popularity of "creepy children's toys" as a theme, someone's bound to have something you can use.

Yeah, that´s a great idea! I have to have a look on the Wicked Dolls. I can even convert the Wicked Dolls to represent some other cuddly toy like rabbits or the like. I don´t think that such a crew has to be built on Teddies alone, some war of cuddly toys is just as sweet!

I can even convert the Wicked Dolls to represent some other cuddly toy like rabbits or the like. I don´t think that such a crew has to be built on Teddies alone, some war of cuddly toys is just as sweet!

The Velveteen Rabbit survived the fire, and now he's $$$$$$$$ed :Powerful_Puppet:

Everyone here makes some very solid points. No player you will enjoy playing against would have an issue with you using a crew like this. So long as you explained before the game began what you had going on this is a great idea! The only thing you might have to worry about is some of the tournaments I've seen advertised have a stipulation of not using proxy models, but as was mentioned before you would most likely have purchased the true models for the cards anyhow, so if that actually came up then you could get around it. I for one wouldn't be the guy that said you couldn't be original. Go for it!

Well, I found some Teddy-heads to convert Wicked Dolls into beautiful looking Stitched Togethers. On the other hand I decided that I won´t run the Nightmare Teddy as lord Chompy Bits, because that model is just so freaking expensive. With my Puppetwars Teddies already bought, the crew would cost me around 200 Euros if I´d go with Nightmare Teddy. That´s way to much IMO.

Therefore I decided to scratch build a Horror-Teddy as Lord Chompy Bits.

But right now I refuse to play Dreamer and instead started painting a Lilith crew. Reasons were the fact that Dreamer is named to be unfun to play against and his rather complex rulesset which is a bane if you don´t regularly play.

ZK

I love those teddy's in the link above, and do very much like the idea of a crew like this but did not think of it until the sets of PW teddy's had all sold out so not going to happen for me unfortunately :(

Not sure if you are getting confused or I am, but the Teddies I think you are referencing are puppetswar plaguebears as opposed to puppet wars teddies and are still available.

And while he doesn't exactly fit the Malifaux aesthetic I have always had a soft spot for this little guy.

http://ammon-miniatures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/TEDDY-FEAR.jpg

Not sure if you are getting confused or I am, but the Teddies I think you are referencing are puppetswar plaguebears as opposed to puppet wars teddies and are still available.
Nah i was saying i loved the look of the links you had made. Then required some form of punctuation i guess.Then a response to the thread in general to say that i wish i had bought the puppet wars teddys to use as Daydreams when i had the chance, am just poor so cant start asking for them still :)