How to entice you guys and girls to come play down in Plymouth

Devilshot

Last year three of my local club members opened a gaming venue down here in the southwest. Its a great place able to host about 60 people. They are more than happy to host a Malifaux event if I am prepared to do the leg work setting it up.

I know that for alot of the Malifaux regulars Plymouth is a long way from home. So my question is what sort of tournement would make you spend the time and money to make the trip ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I love Plymouth so would definitely make the trip. Few ideas (many of which are obvious, but worth saying) -

1. Planning it so people can fly into Newquay (iirc) and get the train across would be good.

2. It would have to be a two dayer

3. Avoid dates which pump up the cost of local accommodation

4. Bear in mind the difficulty with public transport on a Sunday - this could kill the event if people can't get home

You might find it a hard sell tbh, but see what folks say :)

Thats the sort of feedback I was after. :) Think Exeter is probably the best local airport to fly to (better train service Exeter to Plymouth).

I was thinking two day event was the best bet what SS level do you feel is best ? I was thinking 35ss fixed faction for rules set but totally open on rules pack advice :) My aim would be to run something for the community. So if people feel that a certain type of event is needed i'd be happy to talior it to suit.

35ss fixed faction is definitely the best imo.

Usually shared strats announced before the tournament itself.

TPs to determine position is standard although there's a tournament at the end of the month in Liverpool running strength of schedule instead so may be an idea to keep an eye on feedback for that.

With 2 day events it can be fun to arrange something for the evening. For instance Neverata usually has a quiz on saturday night. Keeps the atmosphere going and keeps it social rather than everyone wandering off as soon as the last game on saturday has finished.

The club/store is really good and I am working with Devilshot on some ideas, as I am going to Liverpool I am interested in the strength of schedule way.

The quizzes etc are a good idea and we are also close to beer heaven too :-)

It has to be a 2 dayer and I am thinking ranked too.

35ss Fixed Faction is a no brained I think.

Well the venue has a bar and can supply food. With regards to entertainment what would people be looking for ? I can easily arrange a quiz BBQ or both. My background is Pub Managment and I have alot of contacts in the local entertainment scene so bands playing in the evening is do able.

The only problem with providing entertainment in the evening is finding something that pleases the majority of people. That is the reason for this thread to find out what people really want from a Malifaux event and arrange it to meet those needs. I really am open to anything if enough people want dancing girls and topless table service I'll do my best to deliver. ;)

Topless table service o_O.

In all seriousness though, table service during games is great. They do it at the northwest gaming centre and they were doing it at the masters in Maelstrom. It's not a deal breaker but it's certainly a nice touch.

A BBQ would be great if the weather's good.

Out of interest how far away are you from Loading do you know?

This looks quite interesting as I could combine it with a visit to my parents who live further on into Cornwall.

All of the suggestions so far are good (well the game related ones), but if you need some help/guidance on the organisation, just pm me. For a possible dates see the calendar linked in my sig. for what's already booked.

Mostly agree with all the above.

In order to make the numbers work for this I'll need to get a few others to travel with me and share fuel. This means lots of notice for a good date and a good format.

Three to four months notice and not on a weekend with local events and/or school holidays. Format wise more or less what the others have said; 35ss fixed faction with Shared Core Strategies.

All IMHO

- James

Great feedback guys :) So the next question is when would be a good date ? I'm thinking september time at earliest it will give me time to build custom boards and increase the amount of local players. I don't want to run anything that will clash with other events and as people have pointed out costs over summer holidays go up for accomidation etc. I really want to make this work and give anyone that makes the trip the best weekend I can *grin*

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

I'm glad you posted here Mythic. How would I go about making this a ranked event ? From what I understand people can opt out of rankings if they are not happy about being on RHQ but would like to give people the option *happy*

I'm glad you posted here Mythic. How would I go about making this a ranked event ? From what I understand people can opt out of rankings if they are not happy about being on RHQ but would like to give people the option *happy*

As far as I'm aware you just let everyone know it's going to be ranked then submit the results to RHQ afterwards.

Always up for more Malifaux. :)

There are two events a month already announced every month until August, which is GenCon month. September, after the schools go back looks like a good month to me.

All rankings involve as a TO is providing your event results to RHQ, these are then included in the UK Rankings. Noting that the event is ranked in the rules pack (and on the event thread) will let players know.

Players who attend any ranked event can opt out of being ranked for the event by simply letting you know during registration on day one. You then delete their results from the standings you submit to RHQ. For example if the results are; Chris 1st, Bryan 2nd, John 3rd. If Bryan has opted out you simply submit; Chris 1st, and John 3rd to RHQ, simples.

It's that simple, one of the big pluses of the RHQ system is it's has a low admin overhead for TOs.

If I can support on this or anything else please just let me know.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Oh and to be ranked an event needs 8 or more players. Don't think that'll be a problem though :)