Starting out Puppet Wars

Zombie

Hello fellow gamers I happened to stumble today upon the puppet wars and saw that the box game was released (last year already... missed that completely) and I'm now really hyped up. The problem is that I enjoy very much optimizing my army lists etc. so how well can I start up with just the basic boardgame box? I wouldn't prefer buying pawn boxes 'cause that would probably bit too much in one go...

I also noticed some posts which say that you would want many of the same pawn box, does this cause much more costs or are there many places to get minis which you want? I will probably also need to pay for the puppets of my GF so does that double the pawn boxes I need?

Sell this game to me :D

// review links etc. are also nice, I already watched how to play videos posted on here

Welcome, and hopefully we will be able to pull you into the fun.

I think Lalochezia's post http://www.wyrd-games.net/entry.php?19-What-is-Puppet-Wars-and-Why-Should-I-Play-It says a lot of what I would say, so that is a good place to start, especially if you have already watched the "how-to" videos.

As I am not sure how familiar you are with the games or gaming in general, I will be as simple as I can be, but am more than happy to answer any direct questions you may have.

In my opinion, the basic box gives you enough puppets to play a full two player game (1 Master and 8 puppets each). With 16 puppets, there is a lot of room for variations. Yes, some puppets work better together, but the odd synergies and combinations are one of the things that make this game great. I personally like changing my list every game (and tend to change masters as well) because it makes it more challenging and makes it really re-playable, since every time I play the game, it is totally different. Of course this is exponentially increased by the ability to create unique maps and add different objectives every time you play.

As for duplicates, that is more of a personal preference in my mind. I started playing with several duplicates, and was able to find a few on the trading forum: http://www.wyrd-games.net/forumdisplay.php?107-Trading-Forum. But, as I got more comfortable with the game and began seeing how certain puppets interacted with other puppets, I started to build lists differently. I now tend to only bring 1 of each puppet, because I want to bring a range of different abilities from all five factions, since each suite has its own unique flavor (rams - attacks, crows - attrition, masks - movement, tomes - hand control, outcasts - mix of things).

I have the starter set and 1 of each booster, with the addition of the special releases and a few duplicates. This has given me more than enough to play with four people. So, I don't feel that it is necessary to buy multiples unless there is a certain theme that you are trying to make. Plus, each master will probably take slightly different lists, thus diminishing the need for multiples of a single puppet.

I would get the box and see what you think. I may also try to pick up the multiplayer booster, since it will add two masters and several additional sidekicks. Then pick up the other boosters as you find the need to expand what you have.

Not sure if that helped at all, feel like I kind of went off on some strange tangent.

The Puppet Wars website is a great place to get an idea of the game and even form some strategies what with all the rules being available as well as the Toybox Creator and Map Editor. You can also read Battle Reports on this forum and post any questions you have about rules, tactics or hobby side of things, there's always someone willing to help (or if not there's me *grumblegrumble*).

The starter set will be more than enough to start with, since you get the Pattern Book that not only comes with map layouts and alternative rules and extras, but a collection of intro games that allow you to learn each aspect of the game, stage by stage. You'll likely start with roughly 5 puppets each and then go up to 8 plus Master. With the rules online you can always proxy models to get an idea of what direction you want to go in before buying your first Booster. As Hugor said, doubles aren't really important, and like him I have one of each set, and only double up on puppets in larger games. The ones in the starter are generally the "core" puppets and so it's not a bad thing getting doubles of them in the Boosters either.

The idea that you need lots of Boosters is pretty false. Considering they'll be more expansions you only really need one of each set, plus trading around for any extra doubles you want (that's want not need). The great thing about the game is that it is not only the most balanced and fair game I have ever played, but the freedom of choice is liberating, though perhaps a little intimidating if you want to make informed purchases.

Here is some notes on the Masters, and how you will likely want to expand on them:

Seamus: Gets plenty puppets in the starter, but you may want to double up on Rotten Belles and Punk Zombies. Crows are resiliant and play a game of attrition, so fielding a mixture of high stitch (wound) puppets and offensive ones is a good way to go. I would maybe look at Pawn Booster 1 with him, the second Belle is great and Bad Juju is also really durable, and a second Ronin is nice as both players will likely want one.

Justice: Same as Seamus, gets a good selection out of the starter, but isn't really reliant on doubles. Getting Nino from the Multiplayer Expansion gives you one of the deadliest ranged puppets in the game. I would get Pawn Booster 2 for her, another Marshal is nice (cheap and nasty) and Guild Hound is a good companion for Justice (higher combat skill adjacent to her, can get two attacks off a turn, and she can give it a Powerful Counter), plus one of my friends used the Mature Nephilim with her and did really well (wiped out Seamus).

Marcus: If you get the Multiplayer Expansion and like all the Stuffed Animals (December Acolyte, Silurid, Razorspine Rattler) in the starter then Marcus is the one for you. He's my favourite and one of the most versatile Masters since he has synergy with not just Tome puppets but also Stuffed Animals (Beastmaster: can discard a card to ignore the suit in their animation cost). For him you're going to want either Pawn Booster 2 or 3. Booster 2 gives you some useful puppets (Rattler, Guild Hound) while also overlapping with Justice, but Booster 3 gives you the awesome Ice Golem (range 3 auto damage) and other great puppets that can be used effectively for anyone. You'll rarely take doubles with him, but because he has so much versatility and potential it's harder to resist getting all the Boosters =]

Pandora: She has a bit more of a learning curve considering she plays differently to everyone else, but with Kade, a couple of Sorrows and whatever else takes your fancy, she can be quite frustrating to play against. Booster 1 is probably the best bet with her, for the second Sorrow, plus Bad Juju is good with her as is Ronin (for the card draw).

So while you will get enough in the starter to get plenty out of Justice and Seamus, if you like the game enough and want to expand, look up the individual Puppet rules on the website, maybe proxy some games with Marcus and Pandora, see which Master you and your girlfriend like most and then buy whichever Booster offers them the most. It can be a little frustrating when you want 2 puppets from each Booster, but ultimately this was the only viable way Wyrd could package the game, but there's always trading options, and I'm always happy to entertain such a propostion =]

So yeah, plenty of resources at your fingertips, the starter will give you lots of replayability and remember, no need to make blind purchases when the rules are online ;)

By the way, if you are in or around New Orleans, I would be more than happy to do a demo for you...and I am sure others would be happy to do the same if you can find someone in your area.

I'm in the UK, West Midlands atm.

We'll have no trouble here! I only do LOCAL demos for LOCAL people, you're not LOCAL are you?

No, well neither am I =]

I recommend the starter and maybe the expansion booster to start with. That allows for three or four players if you want to play multi-player at some point. Start small to learn the mechanics, again the pattern book is great for that. To change things up, try a draft. Draft the master (with or without attached henchman) and then draft puppets. That is a great way to change up the crew and get a feel for how the synergy of some puppets. As mentioned above, Pandora plays different than many expect - there is a whole thread on that topic.

Thanks for the answers folk and saddly I'm nowhere near USA or UK - I'm living in Finland :)

Can someone counter-argue some of the things in this review: http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/10/25/puppet-wars-a-review/

I was scared off by these points:

''Also, even though the packs are not randomized there is still an element of collectibility in this game. There is a chase Teddie pawn that can be found once in every 10 booster packs. There are 5 different versions of this character too.'' Oh my, this sounds pretty... horrid...

''One thing that I find tragic about this game is that it really requires each individual to have their own collection of miniatures. It is difficult for two people to open the box and simply start playing since there is only a certain amount miniatures available between the two of them.'' This put suspicions on the basic boardgame box, will it truly be enough then?

''There are also a few figures that seem to be slightly off-balance. Some are very powerful and some very week. Normally you could just say hey that’s how things go, but the differences are notable and sometimes they apply to the master puppets themselves. This causes for unfortunate disparities between the suits/factions.'' I know that all miniature games have inbalances but how bad this actually is, or is the writer here mistaken?

By the way, I'm very familiar with gaming overall, you could probably call me gaming addict :D I need my fresh ammount of new games here and there (that's why I'm exploring now puppet wars and malifaux).

Thanks for the answers folk and saddly I'm nowhere near USA or UK - I'm living in Finland :)

Looks like you'll be the one giving demos then ;)

Can someone counter-argue some of the things in this review: http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/10/25/puppet-wars-a-review/

I like Handcannon and think they generally do a good job, but on this subject I'm happy to prove them wrong.

''Also, even though the packs are not randomized there is still an element of collectibility in this game. There is a chase Teddie pawn that can be found once in every 10 booster packs. There are 5 different versions of this character too.'' Oh my, this sounds pretty... horrid...

I'll be honest and say this isn't a problem for me because I currently have 7 Teddies. However, the chance of getting one is higher than 1:10, it is a single model, just with 5 different rules (with the rules online it's hardly difficult to proxy) and while popular, is more of a "fun extra" that can work well with anyone, than something that will give you any real advantage. Wyrd did release a set of all 5 and they are often used as prizes (hence how I got 7), and there's always the chance they'll release it later on, like with Pokey Viktoria, Hooded Rider and Lucius (only they are definite releases). As for Wyrd's reason for doing so, it was to add the element of excitement that Rares give you while not making such a tactic a foundation of the game. Admittedly it doesn't quite translate to the miniature industry where people are more picky about what they buy (usually because it's more expensive), but Wyrd are trying to attract not just hobbyists but those who do appreciate getting that little surprise.

''One thing that I find tragic about this game is that it really requires each individual to have their own collection of miniatures. It is difficult for two people to open the box and simply start playing since there is only a certain amount miniatures available between the two of them.'' This put suspicions on the basic boardgame box, will it truly be enough then?

Unlike the point about Teddies this is flat out wrong - wrong wrong wrong =] Almost every example of anyone who collects Puppet Wars, has shown that one person will buy one of each set, then share that with friends. Their friends would only then buy their own models if they wanted to paint them, though if you didn't like the crow puppets and your friend plays Seamus, I'm sure you two would come to an agreement. The only reason why you would need to each have your own sets if is you both wanted doubles of the same model, but again because the game has so much choice that doubles become quite rare, this isn't a very common issue (plus in lager communities the chance of there being a larger collective collection is higher, so not an issue at all then). So yes, the starter will be enough, but if you want to have 3+ player games with plenty of options you'll kinda need one of every set, and if you get your friends into it then it's easy to split the costs as you only really need that single pool of models that is common with this kind of boardgame.

''There are also a few figures that seem to be slightly off-balance. Some are very powerful and some very week. Normally you could just say hey that’s how things go, but the differences are notable and sometimes they apply to the master puppets themselves. This causes for unfortunate disparities between the suits/factions.'' I know that all miniature games have inbalances but how bad this actually is, or is the writer here mistaken?

Again, completely wrong. There have been threads saying Viktoria is overpowered, that Ice Golem's auto-damage action is unfair and that Hooded Rider wins games before they start. I can't tell you how happy I am to say this is false, because like you say "all miniature games have inbalances", but Puppet Wars.. as far as anyone has really been able to tell, has next to no inherent flaws. Sure some things were errata'd, mostly just clarifications with the only change being to Silurid's upgrade Frog Legs (giving it the No Master characteristic) while Pandora is looking to get a little tweak, not because people thought she was broken but because they weren't having as much fun win/lose with her as other Masters. But again, if you're familiar with Wyrd you'll know how good they are at listening, but the fact remains there's not a lot of flaws they have to listen to concerning the actual game. As for other stuff, including just making it better, you can be damn sure they're listening too (even if I never do shut up).

To give you a better idea of how Puppet Wars is balanced:

• Each player has the exact same number of puppets, so no outnumbering from the start.
  • The players' decks are only reshuffled once every card has been used, so once you use a card you won't see it again until you use the rest of the deck. This adds a level of resource management while also reducing the chance of getting high cards.
  • The objective of Master kill is sometimes frowned upon in other games, PW too, but then because of all the reasons below, plus the alternative Workbench takeover objective, means that this isn't as much of a kill joy as some games, and unlike Warmahordes where the Caster/'Lock is central to the games very mechnaics, losing your Master in Puppet Wars doesn't completely break the game, so feel free to ignore it =]
  • Almost all puppets have the same number of moves/actions, 2 moves and 1 action with 3 moves and 2 action being the highest. Unlike other games this again balances what both sides can accomplish together with the fact you can't animate a puppet twice a turn without suffering a rip, but then you still can animate it if you have to. There's less a sense that taking loads of puppets with good movement actually gives you much of an advantage as that generally comes at the sacrifice of good attack and defence.
  • A weak puppet has a low animation requirement a strong puppet has a high AR, plus low animation cards go first when determing initiative, so not only will your Rotten Belle likely go before the Hooded Rider, that puppet only has 9/54 cards in the deck it can animate with, greatly reducing the chance you will be able to animate it but also taking high cards away from attacking etc if you do.
  • Puppets usually only have 2 stitches on average with the highest number being 4 (before upgrades). Considering that a single successful attack removes 1 stitch (so half of most puppets wounds), the impact of the large number of actions, abilities and upgrades that allow puppets to remove more than 1 stitch at a time, is greatly reduced. Same goes for auto-damage where the cost is always quite high and the result is only really felt when used against powerful puppets like Hooded Rider (he doesn't seem so tough now does he?)
  • Upgrades add so much extra to the game, not just in variety, but also the way they can change the way you use certain puppets. You can use Ronin's Rad Sword to make a weak puppet into a fighter or a strong puppet into a monster (see next point) or you can use the more tactical upgrades on that puppet everyone's been ignoring and end up winning the game. But then while they do give you more options they also limit you because to access them you need their owner to be lying in little pieces in your Scrap Heap, which while a natural occurance is yet another example of a tactical option doubling as a perfect balancing mechanic.
  • Finally, Puppet Wars is BRUTAL, if you can think of a combo there's a sure way it can be countered, and not by being forced to take a specific puppet. It ALL comes more down to "My puppet has a lot of stitches and a high defence (Bad Juju with Kade's Cute Button Nose)." "Well in that case I'll take a puppet that can either get through your defence (possibly by using a card from my hand), can either do more rips per attack (Executioner) or auto-damage (Ice Golem), or can outmanoeuvre the puppet to Ignore it completely (Silurid), confuse it, paralyze it, make it stuck (immobolize) or even use it against you (Cherub's Can't Say No to You). Now which puppet should I take... you know what I'll take them all!" There's a dozen answers for every question, and both you and your opponent have access to the same dictionary =]

So there you go, I can't say the game is completely perfect but then considering it has pretty much invented the Living Miniature Game, it's hardly doing a bad job either. Plus any flaws are minor and easily fixed in time. The core of the game however is the most solid example of designing I have ever seen, and it's only going to get better =]

So join the fun and don't be afraid to shout loud and proud-

I PLAY WITH DOLLS!!!!

:Puppet:

Edited by ThePandaDirector

I also realized that it doesn't cost that much for standard boardgame, saw puppet wars for ~60e in one place and I'm used for Fantasyflightgames prices... Well let's hope my girlfriend likes this game too then - last time she's been enthustiastic only about Race for the Galaxy.

I would have to agree with Panda on all counts, but I may be biased as Puppet Wars is my FAVORITE game, and I too play a lot of games.

Just to add on to what he said, Puppet Wars is extremely balanced in that everything that is "broken" (for lack of a better term) has something that is equally broken coming to kill it. I often compare it to Munchkin (if your familiar with that game) in that all characters are or can be overpowered. So, in the words of The Incredibles "Everyone's special, Dash" Dash grumbles, "Which is another way of saying no one is." And it is true. Of every upsetting combo or ability that has been mentioned, there are dozens of ways to get around it.

As for Masters, like Panda said, there are differences between them, but it is not a strength (one always wins) it is more of a play style. Seamus (which comes in the starter box) and Marcus are the most balanced between buffing their puppets, making attacks, and de-buffing the other teams. In my opinion they are the most enjoyable to play. Pandora (who needs to work really well with her team and has some learning curve) is more about de-buffing the other team and maintaining board control (She and Marcus come in the multiplayer pack). Lady Justice is good at making the final attacks and buffing her team, making their attacks and damages even better. (She comes in the starter box) Finally, Pokey Vik (who is currently a special) is all about assassinating the other master, more or less on her own. So, each has their own play style, and you will probably find some more enjoyable than the other. But, they can all win...and I have won with them all on several occasions, and have been beaten by them all.

As for the suites / factions, as I said above, this game allows you to take puppets from any faction you want, which really adds to the balance. Yes, there is a bonus for taking puppets from your master's faction (ignore the suite in animation cost), but getting the benefits from another faction often outweighs this (Nurse [crows] can remove effects and counters, Witchling Stalker [rams] can sew up rips, December Acolyte [tomes] can provide extra cards and pick upgrades instantly when in range of the torn apart puppet. This is especially noticeable when you start thinking taking the out of suite puppet as an upgrade (using "What Pretty Buttons You Have" which allows the master to tear up a puppet in the toybox and draw two cards, which makes the upgrade instantly available for a puppet to pick up).

As for having to buy multiple sets, I find that I am the one who owns the game, and I bring it out to play. I have everything, because I fell in love with the game and the minis and wanted to paint everything. As the community is growing, some people are buying their own stuff (because they want to paint the minis, play at home, or whatever) others are just playing with mine.

Either way, I think it is a great game. As Panda said, the Wyrd staff has been awesome about listening to comments and concerns. The game is the first of its kind and is still in its infancy, and will only get better as more additions are released.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Zombie, as far as price is concerned, you're right it is similar in pricing to a lot of the other board games out there. More importantly, the miniatures are legal proxies for malifaux. So, if you are interested in that as well, you can always pop the mini in a larger base, download the malifaux stat cards (http://www.malifaux.com/Downloads.php) and try a game of malifaux as well, making the investment that much more worth it.

I was scared off by these points:

HEy I am actaully the author of that article. If you look around on hadncannon there is a part two of that article too that address those concerns. I have played A LOT of puppet wars much to my suprise. I can honestly say it is a good game. Drafting has turned out to be a fine way to play. However, it does help to buy a few pawn packs just for variability and replayability. LIke the second half of the article says the game really does require quite a few plays before you unlock all the majesty that is puppet wars. The teddy thing isnt all that big a deal as they are not the power pieces. Plus in terms of the few peices that are off balance, I can say with confidence that Wyrd is fixing it and listening to all concerns. There are no real limited minis aside form the teddies and they were available online in a 5 pack during last black friday so wyrd may do it again.

CHeck here for the second half of the article http://livininagamerparadise.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

It was published on hand cannon too.

Yeah, I chuckled a bit when noticed his user name :D

Well things are looking well and I'll put tomorrow an order and hope that the mailman brings it quickly - I'll probably be able to witness once again how silly it is that when you order something from UK it comes faster than something which you order from here in Finland...

I bought my PW sets during Gencon, took like 4 1/2 weeks to get to the UK from the US... longest wait of my life =]

Just make sure you're stocked up on super glue and paint, you'll be able to play a game with most puppets straight out the box, but there's still flash to clip and some are in multiple pieces (Nurse, Executioner).

Hope you and your girlfriend enjoy yourselves, be sure to let us know how your first games go =]

• 2 weeks later...

// Thread Necromancy Commence //

Yay, my puppet wars has been shipped and is coming to icy north now (though...it's sunny outside... +4 celsius... but it's darn icy and slippery !). I actually had something to ask even; does anyone sleeve their puppet wars gaming cards? I've sleeved all my boardgame cards but I wonder do these need any? I just don't want 'em to wear down so much that you can guess which card is which (like we did in highschool when we played poker...).

Yeah I'm with Hugor, you don't really need to sleeve them. They are prelaminated for your enjoyment and rather durable, so it all depends on how rough you and your group are with handling them.

You certainly won't lose anything by Sleeving them (though they are an akward size!), but I don't really think you need to. Wet Erase marker wipes right off.

I still put the cards in sleeves. One does not need to do that, but I think it helps protect them. I had some plastic cards years ago. They were good playing cards but they did wear after awhile. Mostly the corners were breaking off or splitting. I know a lot of Malifaux players that have multiple decks with different colors (one for each faction). I have three or four myself including the two I got in the starter. Those two are still in the original box unopened.

Just to add, the Puppet Decks that are included with the game are also replaceable should they become too worn out (I actually prefer to have them a bit worn so they dont slip as much).

As for protecting the stat cards the big thing that I do is not write on them, instead using buttons to record rips and blank tokens to track other things (that aren't covered by the standard tokens that come with the game).

Hurrah! My Puppet Wars box had arrived yesterday; I was just leaving for university lecture back then but the postman rang the bell and what a happy suprise it was :) Hopefully I'll get to play this weekend though I have some stuff to write for university...meh....

Just to add, the Puppet Decks that are included with the game are also replaceable should they become too worn out

Huh? Please tell me more of this, one of the cards I received has a large white spot on it, so it's pretty easy to recognize -_-''

And some feedback immediately after opening the box: The box itself is bit flimsy like the rulebooks too - they're not that bad, but I would've liked something more sturdy and classy like. The rules themselves seem to be quite clear, I didn't have any problems so far but perhaps the video tutorials helped :D