Returning Tome: aRamos 2012

mythicFOX

I was under the impression it was a general agreement by everyone at the masters?

Aye everyone's got their own view on what was agreed at the masters. My thought was that some of you agreed to play the non-broken masters/lists (which a) Collette isn't, and B) Liam wasn't at the masters). Considering Jo already won a tournament with a broken list it seems to have gone to $$$$$$$$. Tbh though I'll play the game how I want and if people don't want to use filth that's fine, if they want to use filth that's fine too.

@Craig

Lilith is a broken master/list?!?

EDIT: For the record Jo would like it to be known that she was never part of the agreement.

My last post in this thread as it's totally derailed and I don't wanna detract from James' posts, but yes, I consider Lilith broken despite just picking her up myself. She's quite possibly the worst match up for my chosen masters, add onto that the list I heard Jo used (dunno if she did actually use 3 twins or not), and their apparent brokeness. I didn't think Jo had agreed to anything, it's just you said there was a "general agreement by everyone at the masters" (which obviously isn't true, not everyone agreed)

There was no such thing as 'no book two masters' (No hoffman LOLZ), it was just a few people saying they wouldn't use their broken stuff. James isn't even using Collette :P

I plan on using Lilith later in the year with a neph list, as well as carrying on with Arcanists but if one of the 'broken' masters takes my fancy, well, I'll use them.

As said, no more posting in this thread about it anyway. Totally derailed.

Back on topic, I actually hate aRamos. He's one of the 3 worst match ups for Marcus IMO.

One thing I have found with him is that one thing he really needs is a small scrap pile to get going - ideally 4 or more scrap when he manifests. This allows him to get going straight away, and the LSA's are fantastic for turning scrap into, well, more scrap.

with less than this, I think he takes too long getting up to speed, and he really suffers, as most of the abilities that make the avatar so much better than standard ramos are heavily scrap dependent.

One of the really nice ways to do this actually can require a bit of luck on the card draws:

basically, your standard crew would consist of:

Ramos

aRamos

toolkit

Rusty alyce

SS miner

LSA

rest to taste.

turn 1, MTK tomes Ramos, he summons and creates spiders. Alyce Burnouts the LSA and toolkit. SS miner mines SS.

turn 2, MTK lab equips Ramos and SS miner. SS miner activates, overdrives, and attacks LSA and MTK with crows in the attack to gain 2 SS. (Alyce and Surge really help with stacking the deck like this). Alyce then Burnouts Ramos and does something else. :D Ramos summons first activation, then second activation he manifests.

turn 3 onwards, Ramos can summon 1 - 2 minions a turn. If there isnt a pressing combat matter, he summons an LSA to turn into more scrap, and a warden, LSA, or Watcher (preferred. the deck mechanics are golden).

seriously though, the watcher in an aRamos crew is really nice. Last game with him, I summoned the watcher turn 6, and (1)foresight (i think) meant that I could stack the odds of the game going on to turn 7. This meant that the game went from a 2 -2 to a 4-2 in Ramos' favour.

Golden.

With regards his play style though - I've found him to be so much more maneuverable its scary. The ability to Leap 8" and drop 2 significant models with Armour out another 6" is crazy good. its possible to actually drop a single significant model as far away as 22" from him, depending on planning ahead.

He's also far more resilient than I expected - the Df 5, 11 wounds and Armour 2, which can go to Armour 4, means that most folks are only going to be doing 1 or 2 damage at a time. And even then, he can heal himself really easy.

Edited by Tograth

What are you finding you like about aramos and what are finding in the playstyle appeala to you?

I like steam powered mechanical spiders, so that helps.

In game it's his flexibility. aRamos performs three of the four roles a model can perform, he's; a threat, a runner and (via summoning) a blocker. His proficiency at each of these allows him to switch roles and perform under most circumstances in the game.

His maximum speed of 24" (normally 18") is also a big plus. Speed is key in Malifuax.

A heads up my thoughts on doubles weekend are up on my blog; here.

Not all that aRamos focussed but there we are.

I also got a couple of games in against a Lilith grow list last night. Any thoughts on Steamborg? He did nothing for me in those games. Does anyone use him regularly got any tips for him?