Exorcist & Austriger question

durek

Was wondering a few things actually; hoping you could help (yes I’m speaking specifically to You! *wink* )

Looking at running an Exorcist, like the fluff, but our Meta environment at the moment is 3 reser crews (2 played by me) though we do have a Dreamer crew (played by my wife lol). Is the Guild Exorcist worth it and does anyone have a suggestion on a proxy/ alternative model for him? I just don’t seem to be warming up to him…

Another question anyone know since they did a surprise (at least for me) resculpt of Bette, are they planning any more non master ones; like say Samael and/or Myranda?

Lastly, looking at getting another guild model (hence the Exorcist question) and have never used an Austriger but lately have been tempted; no one has one here. I usually run Lady J (for guild) with Santiago, few Marshals, Srgt, and couple of wild cards (Judge, Guardian, marshals, Lucius, Guards…).

Thx in advance

Before giving you my thoughts, I'll start by saying that although I play guild I haven't had that much success with them. I think it partly is because I started with Neverborn (Lilith) and you simply can't play them the same way, the Nephilim has such better stats across the board.

I think the Exorcist is an awesome model when facing undead, spirit, nightmare and/or soulless models, but if you don't often face those, I would steer away from him. Mostly his headshot-like trigger on melee and spell is what puts him ahead of other minions in the same price range I think. But teamed up with a Deathmarshall (buffing the Exorcist with (1) Finish the Job) his melee attack can be quite brutal, as it ignores armor and HtW.

His ability to make all models within 6" get magical melee weapons is also very good, but only if you are facing heavy spirit crews.

Also don't forget the Last Rites-spell if you are facing a crew relient on corpse/scrap-counters, it's a big thorn in their sides.

The Austringer is a model that is good at one thing basically, and that is sniping models at decent to long range from behind safe cover. As he ignores LoS he can be placed in the safety behind a building and still fire effectively. What puts him down a bit though is his low weak damage, so vs models with high df or HtW, he generally fails to impress as he keeps doing 1dg to them.

Also the Austringers are great with Lucius, as he can buff them and use his spells to make them fire extra shots (you can put out 7 shots at cb7/9 with :+fate on the attack per turn).

I would rank the Exorcist as the better model, but he needs to be supported both by other models and with a hand of the right cards, and if you aren't facing the type of models he is engineered for, I don't think he will impress you. The Austringer is a model that does better on it's own.

Get Austringers, as they are flatly good models that add non-LoS ranged strikes, which makes them worth their points alone; The above mentioned synergy with lucius is wonderfun.

Exorcist is a model you take vs specific crews, and is great for specifically the fact you pick your crew after announcing factions. He probably wont get as much ground against McMourning though

Austringers work well vs all opponents and in nearly all guild crews. Previous posts are correct, they are long range harassment models that put out consistent low amounts of damage. They hit reliably with a very high CB on the bird. They also work well with a psuedo alpha-strike capability with their Deliver a Message spell.

the Exorcist is a specific use model. They will shine when facing the proper opponent, and turn far less useful when the improper opponent is across the table. As long as you can face Spirits (first), and Undead/Nightmare/soulless (second), the Exorcist can do very very well.

Thx DC, Spiku & Nix

Ya its about how I figured it. So have to play test aganst the Dreamer, but doesn't seem a good purchase for one crew...

No opinions on a proxy for the Exorcist (for future consideration) or knowledge/ rumours about alt non-master scuplts?

Regarding Austringers, I'm just going to direct you to Pullmyfinger;

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Guild+Austringers

I was pretty surprised by the Bete resculpt too. Before seeing her release I would have quite confidently said that Wyrd will probably not look at rescupting unique minions and instead start with those models players tend to need alot of duplicates for. Mindless Zombies and Malifaux Rats are the two in particular that come to mind.

So at this point, yes. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see resculpts of any model at all in the Malifaux range.

I think the austringer is probably a better investment. I have not used an excorcist yet, but my experience with dual austringers has shown their value to me. Hitting for consistant damage at long range without los is really nice at times. It helps to weaken key enemy models before they can engage you, or to finish off a weakened opponent. They are also good for killing key models, i.e. waifs, day dreams, annoying totems, things which explode when you hit them with melee, etc. Also, with their high combat you should be able to hit an even or positive twist to fate fairly regularly.

I think they are a solid 5 point model for Guild, as long as you can keep them safe.