My first painted miniature

EvilZeb

Great start, good attention to detail, clean.

Work on the shading, hilighting (comes easier to some) there are so many tutorials and techniques for this its easy to find one thats fits you.

Not sure if its done (if it isnt please disreguard) ; but one thing I would look into doing is to finish the base even if its a little beach/playground sand glued on and washed with brown paint.

Great start, good attention to detail, clean.

Work on the shading, hilighting (comes easier to some) there are so many tutorials and techniques for this its easy to find one thats fits you.

Not sure if its done (if it isnt please disreguard) ; but one thing I would look into doing is to finish the base even if its a little beach/playground sand glued on and washed with brown paint.

Thank you for the comment :)

I did this paintjob with a size 5 brush. I watched many tutorials but dared not risk to ruin the mini once I had it in a "acceptable standard" So I'll work on shading and highlights with my next mini :) Hopefully you'll see progress for each new mini I post.

In the end I'm gonna go back and do some finishing touches on everything and take a groupshot.

About the bases, I intend to order some and have it painted before the groupshot :D

Now that I watched the pictures I noticed details I need to work on that my eye didn't catch!

Edited by EvilZeb

Now that I watched the pictures I noticed details I need to work on that my eye didn't catch!

Lol, yes the camera is bad for that. Small white primer the naked eye cant see or wierd angles and such.

This mini is even better now knowing its a size 5 brush; Impressive.

Great first mini, the skin especially is very well done (and eyes with a size 5 brush!).

The metals could use a wash of Badab Black or something similar.

The only real criticisms would be the barren base (there are really great tutorials out there that can help) and of course the lighting in the picture (it looks like you used a light box so more lighting will solve that and perhaps a smaller light box).

Great first mini, the skin especially is very well done (and eyes with a size 5 brush!).

The metals could use a wash of Badab Black or something similar.

The only real criticisms would be the barren base (there are really great tutorials out there that can help) and of course the lighting in the picture (it looks like you used a light box so more lighting will solve that and perhaps a smaller light box).

The main reason I used a size 5 brush is that I forgot the rest at home xD

Actually I mixed all the colours myself out of the basic Game Color set. I got the skintone right in the first try! But Decided to darken it a little :)

I didnt use a light box, I actually held a piece of paper and got light from 3 angels. But it didn't help so much. I'm gonna make a lightbox this week though :D

About the base. I'll give all my minis fancy bases once they're done. Given I'll probably do them last they might be better looking than the minis themselves xD

First off that's great for a first mini. Most people don't get nearly as clean a result. Particularly nice touch shading the scars.

If you haven't yet, go out and get yourself two games workshop washes: Badab Black and Devlan Mud. I wish they were around when I started. They both provide excellent shading - black for silver metals/grey, mud for softer tones like leather/dark skin.

This looks really great, i wish my first minis looked that good! haha

I second the GW washes. I don't care a whole lot for their paints, (use p3 and vejello myself) but bahab black (For metals), delvin mud (for dark flesh/mud), and ogryn flesh (for lighter skin tones) are must haves for me.

Keep up the fine work! you'll be out painting me in no time! :D

Nice! clean and solid colors. perfect. you are on the fast track.

id like to reiterate on the washes as well. they will go a long way. the important thing with them though is to not use them too much. when you start highlighting, your going to want to do it over your washes as well. some folks do the wash and done thing.

Once you complete the base, it will bring the whole thing to life. A lot of people dont realize this and dont put the extra effort in. even simple gravel and static grass. it sounds like you got a decent plan for the base.

Great start Evil.

I will echo what everyone else here has said regarding simple washes to add some depth to the colors.

My steps are:

-Base color.

-Wash.

-Highlight with Base color.

-Lighten the Base color with a 1/3 ratio.

-Keep adding lighter highlights until you get a gradient of color you are happy with.

If you go overboard with the highlights...simply add a thinned wash on top and start over.

Things like facial flesh I like to use a "Wet Blend" in order to smooth out the color gradient even more.

Good luck.

Additionally EvilZeb, if you are just getting into painting (i.e. dont have a ton of money invested in paints already) take a look at the Reaper Master Series line of paints. They are very nice and offer triads of colors that take a lot of the guess work out of the highlighting process (each triad will have a shadow, base, and highlight).

Had I the ability to go back and rebuy my paints I would have gone with them instead.

I looked in to it Omen. But I couldnt find someone who sold it in Europe.

What I did find out however is that p3 and >Vallejo Game Color< (which I am using right now) is available almost anywhere.

I would gladly appreciate any help concerning paint. Sure I can google it but I prefer to listen to other who paint Malifaux :D

Edited by EvilZeb

The biggest recomendation I can give is to use paint additives (instead of water). You will get much better results if your paints are thin and "wet".

With that said here are the additives I consider essential (right up there with the Gryphonne Sepia and Badab Black)

• Matte Medium
  • Gloss Medium
  • Flow Improver

These additives will greatly improve your painting (without really requiring you to change anything) and prevent your paints from drying out during storage (I have paints that are going on 7 years old that are just as good as when purchased).

Using them is simple, just drop them into the paint and shake vigorously (the proportions I usually use are 1 part Matte Medium: 1 part Gloss medium: 2 parts Flow Improver).

The Gloss and Matte Mediums should be thought of as one additive (mixing them together produces a nice satin finish) and is like adding more of the binding agent to the paint (this is important when thining to almost translucentsy with the Flow Improver). The Flow Improver (replaces water completely) spreads the pigment around within the binding agent without making the paint super thick (which the Matte and Gloss Mediums will do). With the above combination you can thin to virtual translucentsy without chalking or loss of paint adhesion (like water produces).

I add the same mix to the paint pots as soon as I am done for the day (to prevent drying out).

Their are a number of others but these I consider Staples.

That's a great looking model Evilzeb, there are many people out there who have been painting for far longer and would struggle to match it. Everyone else here has already said so much so I won't reiterate it all, but Omenbringer seems to know a lot about the subject and I've heard how useful additives can be. Also, a wet pallete may be useful at some point and it should be easy to find a tutorial to make your own.

Hope that helps and keep up the good work!

That's a great looking model Evilzeb, there are many people out there who have been painting for far longer and would struggle to match it. Everyone else here has already said so much so I won't reiterate it all, but Omenbringer seems to know a lot about the subject and I've heard how useful additives can be. Also, a wet pallete may be useful at some point and it should be easy to find a tutorial to make your own.

Hope that helps and keep up the good work!

+1 to the wet pallete. i love mine. use it all the time. it also helps keep the paint in the pots from drying out

Thank you again for the comments!

The things I've focused my attention on is paint additives, light box building and how to make a wet pallete. Many skilled painters have made great tutorials and posted on youtube. You guys helped me look for it, and for that I am grateful!

I also bought new brushes. In the range from triple zero to size 2. Maybe I can get some iris-painting action now xD

Right now I think I'll invest in the Reaper Master Series line of paints, OR keep mixing my own colours and stick with the Vallejo Game Color, which so far has served me perfectly. I keep notes on my ratio when mixing so I get it right next time.

I have realised that the washes is a must have. And I'll make sure to get Badab Black, Devlan Mud and Ogryn flesh from GW.

Today (saturday here) I'll paint all day :)

I'm feeling a little schizophrenic about what style to paint in though, since I both like the cartoon-style and the gritty look I've made the Convict Gunslinger in.

Edited by EvilZeb

just paint what you feel! its nice to have a coherent looking crew but its also nice to see variation, I change paint styles all the time! I think its model dependent! GW minis I go for the base cote and highlight method! but My Malifaux crew so far ive gone the base cote highlight and wash method!

bigger models I go for shading up and down! but I think Im a bigger fan of using washes of late as I used to wash with watered down paints I think thats called Glazing? Being introduced to washes was a real bonus! ( thanks Stryder-Anth)

Your Mini is pretty cool for first go! and you say you will re-do the first ones once ya get better skills? I have done exactly that! I have almost a full Space wolves army Stripped down ready! also lots of classic GW minis from the 80s hundreds of minis which I know I can do better on!

but I think your first start is a cracking effort! and dont think ya need to re-do it at all!!

I like the scars on his gutt! actually look like real scar colouring!! nice one!

keep up the good work and lets see them pics coming in!!