Where's the love of Raspy Avatar?

Ayezik

Basically what Calmdown said. Raspy's Avatar takes here from an Amazing Caster to a weird combo Melee/Caster Hybrid.

Specialization is one of the things that is often the hallmark of good model. The fact that Raspy's Avatar turns her into just an Ok Melee creature, and tones down her deadly casting makes her Avatar not so popular.

I played her avatar a few times and I enjoy it. Sure, it's no "death spam from range" model, but it's a decent option when the other guy is trying to swarm you in melee (like many folks try to do to Raspy). When I take her, I don't make it a priority to manifest because you definitely want Raspy doing what she does best early-mid game. Late game I really like the Avatar, because opponents dodge ice blasts all game trying to get to you, only to discover you can devour their master.

Devour.

Arcanists: Our models are more likely in stock!

My girlfriend plays Rasputina, and has used the Avatar on me two or three times so far. I'll agree with the statement that it's a weird switchover, and it gets rid of a lot of Rasputina's more powerful abilities in favor of melee strangeness, but I don't think it's useless either. If your opponent has his melee heavy hitters closing in on Raspy and she's about to get squished like the fragile snowflake that she is, turning into Icevangelion Unit-01 gives you the ability to hit back without relying on spells, heal via eating people, and summon reinforcements from the corpses of the fallen. If you have the two extra soulstones and want that option, she's there. She did manage to survive the onslaught of my Viks and Von Schill for two turns in the last game we played, eating Von Schill and achieving Kill Protégé in the process, so again, I'd say she has uses.

I argue that Avatar Raspy is not useless, but she is not competitive, and she is not, on the whole, an effective investment of 2 SS. She's neat, and sure if you get mobbed and meet the requirements to manifest it is nice to be able to do, but the fact that you have to spend 2 SS at the beginning of the game to have that option, and it requires her to still be alive once you are mobbed, and the fact that once she manifests she is not a "Rarrrar, you are all going to die now!" melee monster, but only average, leads me to feel that you could do better things with those 2 ss then invest in her avatar.

My personal philosophy on building lists is that you should spend you points on things that directly contribute to winning, not on things for "in case" situations. If the situation never occurs it was points that didn't need to be spent, and if the situation does occur that you needed the avatar for I feel either your master slection just hit one of those paper, rock, scissor issues the game can produce, or play or luck hampered you from effectively preventing the situation.

So Avatar Raspy can be fun, definitely, and in that sense she is not useless, but I think you can do better things with 2 SS than bring her avatar if you are playing a competitive game.

I have to say for an extra 2 stones, I think your getting a deal. I know it seems like your trading out a strong long range caster for a fair melee fighter but that is not exactly the case. I mean here we have a model that gains +1 to Wk/Cg, has a beter Wp and Df. there have a better melee attack and gain an actual ranged attack as well (I agree not as devistating as using a DC, but still has some potential when it can pass around slow on either attack). they gain Armor and Hard to Kill. they give all models in her crew Frozen Heart regardless of distance. can potentially get some extra distance from a 1 AP charge. gains more abilities to heal themsleves and can actually devour a ht 2 model. The other thing to consider she can now bring in more Ice Gaimon, true only one a turn but it can change the game when you can bring in fresh models.

So yes she is not at the same power level as she was as a caster but I don't think she is not competative I think that we are still in the beginning phases of really figuring out Avatar Raspy, and that once we start figuring out her tricks it will be a whole different scenario.

I was told that Marcus was a waste of my time if I wanted to win especially with Arsonist beast and I now win most games I play him in and I have only recently started to use beast outside of the faction. I'm not saying Avatar Raspy will be declaired broken but I see some potential there. I honestly like your post calmdown I think you have a good insight into the game I just don't always agree. Which is what makes this forum great. Keep up the posts I look forward to them.