Masters that should be henchmen, and henchmen that should be masters.

*Jack*

Hi,

I've been pouring my heart and soul into studying book 2 recently, and one thing hit me. Some of the new masters and henchmen seem a bit "off" or would be better the other way around. I'll hit you with an example.

Colette and Kaeris.

I'm not saying Kaeris is a bad henchmen, especially after fire gamin and other stuff from book 3, but showgirls seem like the perfect thing for a special forces. Most people taking showgirl crews dont really deviate from them, aside from the odd M&SU asset, so why wasnt colette a henchmen, with special forces (Showgirls) and performer and mannequin, coryphee, cassandra, and mechanical doves (showgirls). They even have this on their card, just not as a special force.

Freeing Kaeris up for hiring anything from arcanist, most of which are M&SU members or assets anyway (yes, ignoring beasts and the cult of december) but its unlikely she'd be wanting to take those anyway.

Lucius and hoffman.

Lucius is an awesome model, just screams malifaux to me. I love the fluff and his position in the guild. And again, I'm not saying special forces (guardsman) is a bad thing, but letting him hire anything, he is the governers secretary and chief of secret police, just seems so much better than having hoffman allowed to take anything from the guild, whereas he only synergises with constructs really, so whilst he will never really take a death marshall or witchling stalker, whilst lucius isnt allowed to.

Any thoughts?

When I read the title I thought "Nah.." but you make a good case.

On the face of it Showgirls do seem like a special force, Colette doesn't really use anything else and Kaeris, as an agent of Ramos, is more likely to have access to all the options. Same with Lucius, someone of his ranking should be able to call on anything he wants, while Hoffman would be fine if limited to Constructs and maybe Guardsmen.

Naturally the rules probably contradict this, and would be unbalanced if they were simply switched, but fluff wise and practically (at least for most) it does make sense.

Molly, Collodi and Von Schill, seem fine as Henchmen though.

I guess it all comes down to how they expand the special forces and if there will be future abilities to get around the Henchmen restrictions (so Lucius could take Stalkers).

When I read the title I thought "Nah.." but you make a good case.

On the face of it Showgirls do seem like a special force, Colette doesn't really use anything else and Kaeris, as an agent of Ramos, is more likely to have access to all the options. Same with Lucius, someone of his ranking should be able to call on anything he wants, while Hoffman would be fine if limited to Constructs and maybe Guardsmen.

Naturally the rules probably contradict this, and would be unbalanced if they were simply switched, but fluff wise and practically (at least for most) it does make sense.

Molly, Collodi and Von Schill, seem fine as Henchmen though.

I guess it all comes down to how they expand the special forces and if there will be future abilities to get around the Henchmen restrictions (so Lucius could take Stalkers).

Collodi is perhaps the perfect example of a henchman - Dolls, a unique special force, easy to identify, and little else should be taken fluffwise.

Molly just needs her options fleshed out. And don't forget ophelia :P

But yeah, I see your point, whilst the avatar of shell game isn't an auto-include in every list, its a very "fun" and fluffy avatar. And as much as I think, I really can't think of a unique avatar for kaeris :P Lucius might have had a lot of options for cool avatars though?

Part of me wonders if they are going to ever include a model for the Governor, since from the fluff he sounds like he should have an avatar form of his own.

For characters that weren't models before the event, they could always release the normal and avatar version simultaneously. it would be kind of cool to get 5 new avatar/master combos in a book. By designing them together, Wyrd would have much more control over the synergy between the two forms.

On a related note, I'm hoping the Governor is a Tyrant! I haven't read all the Twisting Fates fluff yet, so don't tell me if he is.

Ophelia should be a master; after overthrowing Som'er.

I still like the idea of the Guild getting fed up of resources spent dealing with the Gremlins, that they simply sanction Ophelia to take over the role of the Ortega; provide her resources she tries to steal anyway, allowing her to take over as head Gremlin, in return for providing Guild enforcement and suppressing raids against the Guild.

flights of fancy of course, but I like it =3