My 1000th Post - A look back at a couple years of Malifaux

ukrocky

So seeing as it got pointed out that I'm on 999 posts at the minute I thought I'd do something for my 1000th post and that is to look back over my time as a Malifaux gamer and what's happened.

How it all started

It all began when I was at Maelstrom games one time about 2 and a half years ago and had heard briefly about the game. I got influenced to buy into malifaux and picked up a Pandora box set and a Som'er teeth jones boxset, as they looked the coolest to me.

Upon returning to Harrogate I got an intro game in with my friendly neighbourhood teacher that is MythicFox, with him giving me a demo using Rasputina and one that I can't remember, fairly sure it was guild though!

The game didn't appeal to me right away, with too many special rules per model and the seemingly unreadable book 1 at the time acting as a rulebook. I played it on and off for a while, not really getting fully involved in it as I had both 7th Edition Fantasy and Lord of the Rings to focus on, as well as having just got into H/WM

The big turning point came when 7th edition fantasy turned into 8th edition fantasy and book 2 came out. This is when I started to play for real and decided to expand my som'er crew with an Ophelia box set and a couple of proxies of unreleased models. I played using Ophelia for a little while, a month or so, playing about 4/5 games before I headed off to the UK GT.

At the GT I came upon the realisation that Malifaux had swiftly replaced all other games as my main game and was the only one I really wanted to carry on playing tournaments at. After doing well at the GT I was delighted and over the next couple months expanded what I had eventually settling on a proxied Collodi crew and taking this crew to a couple of tournaments now.

By this time I was fully integrated into the Malifaux community and game with me playing regularly against a ton of different opponents and looking out for tournaments for it ahead of any other.

After a couple tournaments with Collodi I picked up Marcus in around May(ish) and rapidly expanded on the crew that I had for him. I settled on Marcus as he was a) Awesome looking and B) Everyone said he was rubbish. I love playing with the armies/stuff people say is rubbish for a challenge.

After a few tournaments with Marcus and doing well I was delighted to be placed as the UK number 1 and best arcanist player, as well as doing well with Marcus himself. At the GT I had a number of awesome games, missing out on retaining my title in the last game to my clubmate Ant Hoult who will rightly become number 1 in the coming weeks.

I've now expanded across the Arcanist faction with all 4 masters but rarely use Collette as I'm not a fan of hers, and have recently been running Ramos and Rasputina part time with Marcus still my main.

Across the 2 years the only faction I hadn't played with was Ressurectionists but with my recently aqquired Nicodem crew I'm looking forward to this new challenge. I'm also planning over the year to expand with more masters, hopefully picking up Hoffman as I've yet to really settle on a Guild master (having become bored with Sonnia after 5/6 games).

Over the 2 years I've met some brilliant people, made some new friends in both Harrogate and elsewhere, met people I will be friends with for a long time and seen some new places. I've only attended about 8-10 malifaux tournaments but I'm sure it'll quickly catch up on my 80+ tournaments I played in 7th Ed Fantasy.

As for the forums, I've got in contact with some great people on here, and I'm hoping to continue with my malifaux podcast in the near future but am unsure on this.

All in all I'm delighted I've invested in malifaux and wyrd, and look forward to my next year in malifaux and no doubt a second 1000 posts.

1000 is nothing, All the cool kids have 4000+ posts :)

Congrats!

Edit: Holy crap I have 4000+ posts on these forums. No wonder why I never get any work done.

Edit 2: I should be clear that my post is all in fun and I, like many others here, appreciate ukrocky and look forward to many more posts by him.

Edited by nilus

Yep that was me :) I'm glad that my results got mucked up as it ment I got to play the top players rather than the mid players. Think I learnt more playing you and Mythic than I have any two games before or since. :D

Nice of you to say! You gave myself a headache throughout the game as I'm terrified of Sonnia! You played well and got unlucky on a couple of key flips.

Congrats dude!

It takes a lot to get that 1000 posts, unless you're like me and rack up the total in the off topic thread (well, at least until it stopped counting towards the total!).

Keep it up!

Is it bad that this is my 3rd most forum I've posted on. I have over 2000 on one and over 3000 on another...heh...