Why Hoffman?

Ulfast

I´m a pretty new player and my gaming group has just started Malifaux. And my question is why to play Hoffman? I see nothing special about him and everything he can do it seems Ramos can make cooler. So why play Hoffman? Please help me to understand hid greatness, because I hope that all masters have something going for them. what make him unique?

Not sure how to answer this one.. Ramos and Hoffman doesn't play anything alike aside from having somewhat of an overlap between their minion pools.

Hoffman can be carried around by constructs buffing them in various ways (more attacks, Reactivate, healing, immunity to blasts, auras and pulses, etc.) and receives bonusses for doing so himself (saves AP on not having to Walk,Fast,higher Ca, healing, armor,assimilate,higher Dg pulse,...). Or he can go crazy with assimilate shenanigans if taken with the right pool of units..

Ramos can't really do any of those, Ramos can create little spiders/ghostly bombs, he can shoot lightning and he can blow his spiders up. Unless you go avatar with him that's really about it.

His avatar is imo one of the most potent though and it can reliably be manifested early aswell. Most certainly a change of pace for the somewhat dull Ramos just described). He gets quite efficient in combat, very mobile, mass obey, can summon even bigger spiders, etc.

Hoffmans avatar on the other hand loses just about everything described about him and is turned in to a mediocre model at best, I personally wouldn't bother fielding him.

Went a bit off a tangent there, but yeah.. Hoffman and Ramos aren't really similar at all. Hoffman like all Book2 Masters relies heavily on synergy with his crew, whereas Ramos doesn't really at all.

Hoffman, Arachnid Swarm and a Drill Sergeant is a fun combination..

I think you can't ignore Hoffman with a SoulStone Miner, that's where he gets silly powerful...

Hoffman can go many ways, he really is dependent on his crew, where looking at Ramos I would never take him without his Avatar and a toolkit.

Let's do a quick pros and cons for both masters

Ramos pros

he can make models

he has Arching screen "one of his best spells"

He can take rusty allace and gain card drawing awesomeness

he can use 2 actions to get a scrap counter

His avartar is easy to get and worth wile to use

Moblie took kit

Counterspell

Can bring Lazarus

Cons

untill he avatars he is slow sitting in one cornor of the table doing nothing.

he has limited ablities, compaired to hoffman

To get reactivate he has to use stoke a vary hard spell to get off

Hoffman

has great AoE attack that can deliver massive damage

Machine puppet is an amazing ablitity

Assimilate is awesome.

he can give reactivate to awesome models like a peacekeeper

is so vary fast when with fast models

is better then ramos at objective grabbing

Ryle

Machanical attendent, its a mini ryle that is significant and a scavenger. It is only 3ss and has 5 health with amour.

Cons

he cannot make things

his avatar is not that good

once he dies you other models like wardens have little change of being effective

has to pay 1 extrea to bring arcane constucts

There are alot more pro and cons but these are some basics.

Yeah, as others have said they are very different masters/playstyles. Aside from the fact they both love constructs and share some minions, they are completely different.

Hoffman sits in the middle of a swarm, moving around the table, buffing and taking abilities and armor to make himself and the swarm more powerful. Ramos is a backline caster, sits in the back the whole game creating spiders, can come out if necessary.

If they have similarities to other characters, Ramos is most like Nicodem who does similar summoning, only with zombies.