1 the Doctor - 8SS cache

Grave Spirit - 1SS

Bete Noir - 9SS

The Dead Rider - 10SS

3 Necropunks - 9SS

2 Canine Remains - 4SS

33SS

9 Activations

Ok, my thoughts are for the GS to make the rider even more tanky!! have him team up with the doctor to kill stuff alone with betty!!

carve up the hounds first turn for 8 body parts to give me a Rogue Necromancy

The necro pucks are to do objective work, add more undead for betty or body parts, more activations, etc...

Thoughts?

BTW, this is my first "normal" crew, I have used Kirai a lot to great success, but am assuming the tactics needed here are far different... !!

Edited by Da O&F Git

Some comments:

Dont swap a soulstone for a bp unless you have a specific plan in mind! Generally it's never a good investment. McMourning needs 8ss just to survive, cos he sucks at living (ironically).

Necropunks suck up the masks that you want to be using for Scalpel Magic; without masks, they're not that great. Personally I'm not a fan of them, Night Terrors are superior in every way except for not dropping corpses.

You wont always want to carve up your dogs turn one, and you won't always want a Rogue Necromancy. Therefore, the dogs would be better as Desperate Mercs as they can fulfil the same function (a 2ss walking body part) but also have a lot of hitting power too.

Other than that I'd say it looks fine as a generalist list. You have hitting power, staying power, and objective grabbers. The key to any good Malifaux list :)

Thanks for imput... so far it is a basic list & plan (can be adapted to the situation with the dogs & RN {I also like the flesh construct!})

at calmdown:

I thought you could only have 7ss max in the cache? (might be wrong on this if so then yeah, 8 in the cache for sure!!), just checked, it is 8 so 8 it is!!

aren't desp mercs 3ss for out of faction?

Edited by Da O&F Git

They "come cheap", so only 2. They're nice. Whack them once for a body part early on so they're getting full bonuses, then later on hit them again on a turn when they're due to be sacrificed.

good point... :)

I would have thought there would be better things to do with the Mc's AP's after turn one than to kill desp mercs? I've found that turns 2-3 is where things get interesting as models get stuck in... If i were to use the GS to wrack them is there some way for him to give BP's to Mc?

Also whislt Night terrors are awesome the other thing is that as spirits they don't allow bete to come from their deaths... However I do agree that necropunks might not be the best since saving masks for the Doctor seems essential... what about 2 Night terrors & another 2 hounds? 7SS pool now...

good point... :)

I would have thought there would be better things to do with the Mc's AP's after turn one than to kill desp mercs? I've found that turns 2-3 is where things get interesting as models get stuck in... If i were to use the GS to wrack them is there some way for him to give BP's to Mc?

The only way to get counters off of models without a specific action to do so, is for them to die and drop them. Bit of a flaw in Malifaux rules I think, there should be a (1) drop or transfer action... but hey ho.

McM doesn't have to be the one doing the killing, Dogs are good for it and can xfer the corpse counter that they gain (though not body part counters, in a bizarre change from v1...). However, you'll find that often you have AP with McM to do so because he'll be hiding somewhere waiting to summon. McM can't really afford to be on the front line because he's so squishy.

Also whislt Night terrors are awesome the other thing is that as spirits they don't allow bete to come from their deaths... However I do agree that necropunks might not be the best since saving masks for the Doctor seems essential... what about 2 Night terrors & another 2 hounds? 7SS pool now...

This is another reason why I've never run Bete. Dropping Night Terrors "down" to stuff like Dogs and Necropunks may make her work better and give more corpses etc, but Night Terrors win games. You have to focus on your objectives.

Personally I despise these types of lists. 3 big hitters and nothing to back them up will crush bad players but good players will totally dominate you. Your big hitters will be isolated 1 by 1 and nullified or killed.

Go for 1 big hitter and lots more utility units. Only include the 2nd big hitter in situations where it is clearly called for.

Last time I saw a (suposedly tanky) dead a rider on the field kirai turned him into a spirit meaning he took half damage and he still got destroyed in one turn.

Personally I despise these types of lists. 3 big hitters and nothing to back them up will crush bad players but good players will totally dominate you. Your big hitters will be isolated 1 by 1 and nullified or killed.

Go for 1 big hitter and lots more utility units. Only include the 2nd big hitter in situations where it is clearly called for.

Last time I saw a (suposedly tanky) dead a rider on the field kirai turned him into a spirit meaning he took half damage and he still got destroyed in one turn.

There's not really any way to answer this other than to tell you you need to practice more if you let your minions get "isolated 1 by 1 and nullified or killed". With this list one big hitter is exactly how you lose.

And it doesn't just crush bad players, it also crushes good ones when you do it right :winkyface:

Valcurdra, what exactly doesn't he have to fall back on? He brought 3 significant objective runners, which also function as delivery system for Bete, and it's not as if the Dead Rider only Functions as a combat Piece, it also has very good utility to pull things around, and it's high speed means it can get where it needs to go very fast. Plus, I'd like to point out that a good number, to possibly a majority of goals in the game require you to kill, sacrifice, or otherwise make certain that your opponent's models are no longer in the game.

If you only bring one threat it will get killed very quickly and then the opponenet will be free to devote his time at leisure to hunting down and killing your objective runners.

I'm actually really curious as to what Valcurdra would run... I'm asumming lots of belle models, night terrors & maybe molly??? & that the big hitter is McMourning himself?

Also if you find your opponents have no trouble isolating big hitters one at a time (how do they do this exactly anyhow?) than by only having one (& that being the master), wouldn't it be easy for them to kill him & then you have no offensive at all?

Also as Fetid said, I wouldn't really be sending the dead rider in alone unsupported (maybe bete if I have a card to bring her back!!) but use him to bring models to McMourning to kill.