Does Snow Storm trump Sonnia's Arcane hunter.

fishtank

Question

This came up tonight.

Rasputina is behind a bunch of Ice Pillars, in B2B with Snowstorm.

Sonnia is about 8" away on the other side of the Ice Pillars. She declares she wants to target Rasputina (Ca7) with Flame Burst.

Per This ruling: http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22803&highlight=Sonnia+cover

Sonnia ignores cover. Snowstorm specifically grants it to models in B2B, ignoring the LoS rules.

Which ability trumps which?

24 answers to this question

Don't have the book in front of me to quote but I am pretty sure it says if one ability says something does happen and another ability says it does not, the "not" wins. So if Snow Storm's ability says Rasputina does have cover and Sonnia's says she is not affected by it, then Sonnia's wins.

All that Sonnia's ability says is that it ignores the Line of Sight rule. This could be construed as ignoring cover except there is already an ability that does this, Hunter which ignores penalties for cover when targeting models, but not the penalties for damaging a target.

Sonnia does not have Hunter so while she can target models not in LoS she cannot ignore the penalties for cover.

This seems to be the right way to go about this as frankly this seems like the only thing keeping Sonnia from making everyone her bitch.

One, one rules marshal answered the question with his interpretation.

I for one think its wrong. Ignoring Line of Sight would not be useless without the ability to ignore cover penalties as it allows you to strike at models you otherwise wouldn't be able to and there are ways to counter the negative flip such as Focus which I always forget. Besides, just because its a negative flip does not mean you might not flip two high cards.

Granting one ability an extra benefit is a bad move.

Edited by pixelante
does not not? Did I just add a double negative?

One, one rules marshal answered the question with his interpretation.

It only takes one Rules Marshal to weigh in on a topic and they are charged to provide the correct "interpretation" of questioned rules. Also they do have the ability to confere behind the scenes with each other in a portion of the Forum that only they can access (just like playtesters and Henchman have). Though you may only see the one rules marshal response, you can bet that they collaborated with each other.

Ok, I am willing to confer the benefit of the doubt, however what is wrong with making a model expend a action point to focus its attack? Having Line of Sight also confer the model a more powerful version of Hunter (since you can't even get the measly +1 armour) seems too overpowered to be intentional.

Even the logic you would apply that you can't get cover against something that ignores LoS starts to fall apart when you question why a Pigapult would know where anything was over the squeals of the pig being wedged into the loading cup.

Having Line of Sight also confer the model a more powerful version of Hunter (since you can't even get the measly +1 armour) seems too overpowered to be intentional.

Hunter would also ignore the granted Soft cover Middle of the Storm provides Rasputina.

Additionally, it is a very rare ability (and in Sonnia's case further limited to only models with a CA over 7) unlike some of the other more powerful things like Spirit.

Edited by Omenbringer

Ok, I am willing to confer the benefit of the doubt

See that star by the name on that Rules Marshall? That means that there isn't a doubt for which you could confer the benefit.

Nobody on the forums can stop you from playing a house rule with your friends, of course, but there isn't anything you could say that would make the Rules Marshall not a Rules Marshall.

There's nothing disastrous about ruling the your way instead , in my opinion... except that Rules Marshalls are considered authoritative.

As a matter of fact I think I have the answer.

Under the Guild Austringer it clearly states the Raptor Ignores Cover and LoS. Sonnia's rule only ignores LoS. This is from Sonnia's V2 card.

In a sense you could say that rather than ignoring cover it seems igoring LoS ignores the blocking trait granted by some terrain unless stated otherwise.

Edited by pixelante
Adding some rivets to my case.

Read the whole post.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25921&highlight=sonia+cover

I made same argument. It's ok to be wrong which we both were. Deal with it and get over it ;)

As related note, this hardly makes her jump from tier 2 to tier 1. I love Sonia but she is not really much of a beast.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth
added link

I think not. Ignoring LoS and Ignoring Cover have been defined by the game designers as being two separate things and a rules marshal has come along and bound them together. I however will continue to regard them as separate, up to and including in tournaments (don't sweat it, I've no plans to attend any soon.) until I see this unholy matrimony approved by some kind of official document.

They are separate. It's squares and rectangles.

All cover is just cover.

All LoS is LoS and Cover.

The fact is that ignoring LoS always ignored cover. The only way you were granted cover was by the LoS rules. If you're ignoring those, you couldn't get cover.

Now, I'll grant you that some abilities grant cover independently of LoS, but since the original rules had it so you couldn't get cover when LoS was ignored, it is not surprising that it would be ruled to keep with the original ruling.

Could it have gone the other way? Sure, but that would be slightly more confusing and a very minor distinction.

As a point of fact their is nothing in the rules that deal with ignoring Line of Sight. In fact the steps you take when declaring a target include checking LoS and the step after that brings the models ability to ignore LoS into play.

So by following the correct order you have already determined if the model is getting hard or soft cover before you determine if the attacking model ignores LoS.

Edited by pixelante

As a point of fact their is nothing in the rules that deal with ignoring Line of Sight. In fact the steps you take when declaring a target include checking LoS and the step after that brings the models ability to ignore LoS into play.

So by following the correct order you have already determined if the model is getting hard or soft cover before you determine if the attacking model ignores LoS.

OK so -- we've now determined you are not in LoS after declaring a target. Therefore you are not obstructed (as this is a specific rules condition that only occurs if one has LoS). You only get cover if LoS is obstructed. Now you get to the step where you ignore LoS. The targeting is successful. Again, nowhere during that process are you getting cover.

But more than this, the fact is that you check LoS, and that includes the rules whether a model gets cover or not. So let's assume I'm targeting someone in cover, but in LoS. They now have cover, as per the LoS rules. Now I ignore LoS, and therefore cover is ignored, too (as being granted cover is a subset of the line of sight rules).

As I said before, there are some unique cases where you can get cover independently of LoS, but 99% of the time it's coming from the LoS rules.

Yes, your point seems to be in favour of my argument except for the fact that everyone keeps circling around to the one single sentence that has equated ignoring LoS to ignoring cover. I maintain that this is wrong and I have already established that I will not be swayed by weak arguments and brow beating so let us just all go our own ways until a FaQ comes out in favour of one outcome or another.

This is a faq (without the plural) and they have answered it. Your wrong buck up and move on. Lucidice gave you the rule break down, cover is determined when you draw los. No drawing los, no checking for cover.

Only way this will change is with a v2 snow card that states can't be ignored. I don't know if that is their intent.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth