Marcus.......?

M_Ruckuss

Having just picked up Collette, I have decided that I actually quite like arcanists....! I may do Ramos and Kaeris, but am loving the idea of Marcus (or due to my love for both Zoraida and PW, a voodoo doll Marcus....0 How does this sound for a 25ss crew...

[Doll] Marcus Cache 4

4 Night Terrors-12ss (Backbone, Alpha Strike and Objectives)

2 Malifaux Raptors (To keep Marcus alive)

Blessed of December (Hitty thing)

Jackolope (- For giggles!)

Thought that this might be quite fun at 25ss- would be my first shot at Marcus....

@poulpox- as I said, I havent played him yet, so this advice is appreciated! The idea with the raptors was to deflect wounds onto them, then the blessed can also use their corpse counters to heal (or hit them for low wounds!) Blessed also their to pick up corpse counters v Resses-hehe! Can always go for a higher cache to help with squishiness as still have a high model count.

@Fritz I too have heard good things about them, and it would give me some flexibility in my crew selections...will think about picking one up...

Baring those too choices/options in mind, does the list seem solid enough?

@poulpox- as I said, I havent played him yet, so this advice is appreciated! The idea with the raptors was to deflect wounds onto them, then the blessed can also use their corpse counters to heal (or hit them for low wounds!) Blessed also their to pick up corpse counters v Resses-hehe! Can always go for a higher cache to help with squishiness as still have a high model count.

@Fritz I too have heard good things about them, and it would give me some flexibility in my crew selections...will think about picking one up...

Baring those too choices/options in mind, does the list seem solid enough?

id agree with the above poster, that it would be worthwhile to drop a night terror for bigger cache.

Importantly, what is this list being used for? what strategies? which schemes are you taking with it? these are the important parts, 'all comer' lists are a fools bargain in malifaux

id agree with the above poster, that it would be worthwhile to drop a night terror for bigger cache.

Importantly, what is this list being used for? what strategies? which schemes are you taking with it? these are the important parts, 'all comer' lists are a fools bargain in malifaux

Its more of a starting point tbh.....

Obviously Marcus cannot summon the Shikome but I still think he can get some good utility out of her. It depends on what you want from your heavy hitter. Shikome has the disadvantage of having one specific prey at the start of the game (and is only ok, not great at taking down non-prey models thereafter IMO). However as a spirit she is uniquely survivable depending on your opponent, plus the 15 inch potential move through terrain and still getting a fast attack on your prey is intimidating. I could go on with the perks. Also, if you're fielding night terrors you'll have a powerful hunting party which can handle almost any kill single model scheme.

Post how your list fares, I'd love to give one of the new players locally some ideas for his Marcus crew.

@megnc86 I'm not gonna hijack the thread, I have 2 shikome, and have just never thought they were worth the points courtesy of prey!

Totally understood. I've had fine luck with them. But like most of Kirai's minions they are situational. It comes down to personal preference. Since my main crew is Kirai my preferences are obvious...heh. Thread jack averted (mostly)!

The idea with the raptors was to deflect wounds onto them

I haven't tried them like this but I'd be concern that they would die really quickly (with Easy to Wound in one or maybe 2 strikes they'd be out). NT or Molemen are prefered for this as they are more resilient (former is spirit + Hard to Kill, the other as lots of armour, so they normally take 4 strikes to die). Since you're using NT for objectives, Molemen could be a good solution (less if you need to go across the board with them).

Another model you could substitute with Blessed is SnowStorm, which is also Graverobber, is mighty in melee, can help those little Moles go faster AND also cast Ice pillars to block LoS (he's my fav model with Marcus atm for its versatility and general panda-awesomeness)

:)

Edited by poulpox

Have you considered using Waldgeist ?

They are mobile, pack a decent punch and their armour helps for "Defend Me !" purposes.

The other advantage is that they have good synergy with Lilith for your other crew.

I have only played against Marcus rather than with him, so someone may shoot me down, but for 25 ss I would go for something like this ;

Marcus

2 x Waldgeist

3 x Night Terror

Jackalope

Depending on your objectives and terrain, silurids, molemen and shikome can be useful. I also like to use a sabretooth cerberus too depending on the encounter (it's good for getting across the board quickly but will die shortly after). A couple of hoarcat prides can be useful too depending on your opponent (and they take about 10 minutes to paint).

@megnc86 I'm not gonna hijack the thread, I have 2 shikome, and have just never thought they were worth the points courtesy of prey!

Prey is their downside. However, I still find them useful. You can either prey something weak, knowing it will likely die or be sacrificed, or prey something important, and make them sweat over it...essentially using it as a visual deterrent for them.

Prey is their downside. However, I still find them useful. You can either prey something weak, knowing it will likely die or be sacrificed, or prey something important, and make them sweat over it...essentially using it as a visual deterrent for them.

This and don't forget hunting partner....I've used this to great results with a Cerberus when something absolutely positively has to die - and it can also deter kill prodg as to be fair, they rarely last the whole game, then are almost guided missiles, and the cerb can leap out and hide and be a very ambush esk minion vs some list

...and don't forget you can hold them off till the prey gets close....no need to bomb them in

An awesome model with marcus - but not 100% needed. slurids you'll want a clam of eventually

The shikome is okay with Marcus, but it's not expendable by any means (unlike anything summoned by Kirai) and its threat range/angles get seriously reduced. Since you have many options if you need raw hitting power in your list, proxy the shikome a few times before you buy it. Not an auto-include by any means.

For what strategy? Marcus, moreso than any other master needs to take models to fit the terrain and strategy. Also, consider nixxing the Raptors and one Night Terror.

As previously stated, a starting point more than anything else. Just to give my namesake a go and as alternative to collette

Some quick comments on the list you've posted;

- I really don't rate raptors, I have two and they've never, ever done anything!

- As opposed to everyone else, I think shikome aren't worth their ss starting the game. Kirai summoning them? Great. Them starting the game? Don't suit my playstyle!

Ok Rocky, thanks for the advice. Will give the raptors ago, but could always drop them for the extra soulstones rather than the terror. May get shikome, may not- way more interested in the blessed anyway (see below) but will test out-thanks for the feedback

Post how your list fares, I'd love to give one of the new players locally some ideas for his Marcus crew.

Thanks for the shikome advice-I will give her a go as an alternative to the blessed (I have seen them used to great effect in 3 different players Kirai crews- they are a pain!)

I haven't tried them like this but I'd be concern that they would die really quickly (with Easy to Wound in one or maybe 2 strikes they'd be out). NT or Molemen are prefered for this as they are more resilient (former is spirit + Hard to Kill, the other as lots of armour, so they normally take 4 strikes to die). Since you're using NT for objectives, Molemen could be a good solution (less if you need to go across the board with them).

Another model you could substitute with Blessed is SnowStorm, which is also Graverobber, is mighty in melee, can help those little Moles go faster AND also cast Ice pillars to block LoS (he's my fav model with Marcus atm for its versatility and general panda-awesomeness)

:)

hmmm- you make a good point with the terrors, and I could use a moleman....I will give them a go, thanks (as previosuly stated, dropping the raptors instead. I should say that the raptos dying was part of the plan to keep blessed in the game (2 large corpse counters- ta very much!)

I've seen Silurids being used with Marcus to good effect.

May try them- actually own 3 but can think of so many things I would rather take for 15ss! May just be my play style as I know others love them....

Have you considered using Waldgeist ?

They are mobile, pack a decent punch and their armour helps for "Defend Me !" purposes.

The other advantage is that they have good synergy with Lilith for your other crew.

I have only played against Marcus rather than with him, so someone may shoot me down, but for 25 ss I would go for something like this ;

Marcus

2 x Waldgeist

3 x Night Terror

Jackalope

Solid enough. May give them a go (think I still have the models). May prove another good swap out for blessed. And a good point re Lilith

Depending on your objectives and terrain, silurids, molemen and shikome can be useful. I also like to use a sabretooth cerberus too depending on the encounter (it's good for getting across the board quickly but will die shortly after). A couple of hoarcat prides can be useful too depending on your opponent (and they take about 10 minutes to paint).

See ive never been that impressed by the cats, but an always proxy them to give them a try out- thankyou for the advice!

Thanks for all the replies guys- only thing to do is to get models based and try them out. Crew will look a bit strange as a) I am using a 30mm based PW marcus as my master, and B) I have a hatred of all things rabbit (which sounds ridiculous, but there are stacking reasons!) unless its a loony toon or is first name is Bugs, Roger or Bucky (bonus points and kudos if you know the last one!) so im actually can for a pig totem a Jackapig, a Pigalope (any suggestions for name?).

Looking forward to trying it out though, as Marcus has always interested me and (avatars aside) I opened book 3 and (obviously) loved the weaver, but looked straight past sue and co-it was always about Brutal effigy (the guys name is brutal!!!!! LOVE it!!!!!!) and the blessed, so she will probably feature in fair few early games.

Will feedback. Mcdoogle

I picked up Marcus and play him with any beast really it just seems fun to run around with a raptor or four and to bring snowstorm....I love the look on someone’s face when I put 20 guild hounds on the table just for fun.....if your looking to just have a good time Marcus can give that to you no matter what mixture of beasts you use with him...but don’t forget you don’t only have to use beasts with him a few other arcanist minions work well with him to like gunsmiths... :)