Help with Rasputina

dragons_lair04

My son wanted to start playing Malifaux, so we went to our LGS and I let him pick out the crew he liked the best. He chose Rasputina because he likes the whole ice magic thing. So I was wondering what I should get him to make this a competitive crew. He currently has:

Rasputina

Ice Gamlin x3

Ice Golem

Silent One

Wendigo

Hoarcat Pride

I have another Silent One and Hoarcat Pride on order for him and he really likes Snow Storm so I might pick that up for him too. Any help will be appreciated.

Hmm. I would definitely say the Essence of Power is a must. I love the Wendigo thematically, truly I do; something about a vicious, fuzzy little ankle-biter running around will always make me smile. The EoP actually boosts Tina's spell damage, though, which is so utterly perfect for her that it is hard to pass up.

Beyond that, Snow is a great boon for her and is definitely a worthwhile purchase for any Tina crew, though their high SS cost may make them hard to fit in for the smaller games that invariably make up the earlier learning process. Still, the mobility and utility they provide can make a good crew great! Otherwise, you may want to look outside Tina's theme for extra models. I have seen people use the SS Miners and Gunsmiths to great effect, and Kaeris, though she may fight Tina for soulstones, can certainly provide a little extra firepower (pardon the pun).

+2

Also! Her Avatar is coming out in December. I'm not sure how competitive it'll be, but I could see aA second Silent One never hurts, too. The iconic, "In Theme" 35ss list is Essence of Power + Ice Gamin + Snow Storm + Silent One*2 + Desperate Mercenary or whatever. But most people switch out the Desperate Merc and one of the Silent Ones for something else, or even the Snow Storm depending on the strategy.

Rasputina list I am starting to really like myself for 35 point games

Rasputina

Kaeris

Gunsmith x 2

Silent One

Gamin (ice or fire depending on your preference)

Essence of Power

6 cache or 8 if you skips the EoP.

I really like this list. You have decent melee, mobility, sustainability (plenty of healing) and awesome range.

Model count may seem low, but there's enough area effect damage potential and board control that it makes up for it.

Rasputina list I am starting to really like myself for 35 point games

Rasputina

Kaeris

Gunsmith x 2

Silent One

Gamin (ice or fire depending on your preference)

Essence of Power

6 cache or 8 if you skips the EoP.

I really like this list. You have decent melee, mobility, sustainability (plenty of healing) and awesome range.

Model count may seem low, but there's enough area effect damage potential and board control that it makes up for it.

This is a good competitive Rasputina list at 35ss. However, I'd look at running this variant:

Rasputina (7ss)

Essence of Power

Kaeris

2x Gunsmith

Silent One

2x Desperate Mercenary

You'll also want to keep Convict Gunslinger around in your box for when you want to drop the Silent One (sometimes she's just too slow), and an extra Silent One around for when you want a bigger Rasputina firebase.

Avoid Gamins, Gamins are just not very good for their points, despite all of the hype they get. If you must, include a Fire Gamin instead of the Mercs but steer clear of Ice Gamin in general.

what about withy more points i'm about to particeipate in a tourney soon any advise to help this list?

Arcanists Crew - 40 - Scrap - Closed Faction turney

Rasputina -- 4 Pool

Essence of Power [2ss]

Kaeris [8ss]

Student of Conflict [4ss]

December Acolyte [6ss]

Ice Gamin [4ss]

Ice Gamin [4ss]

December Acolyte [6ss]

Silent One [6ss]

I personally like to add Snowstorm in at 40ss to off set my movement problems.

Last Time I fielded Rasputina at 40 ss in a tournement I had the following

Rasputina

Essence of power

SnowStorm

Ice Golem

Ice Gamin

Silent One

and a mid range minion, typically for melee purposes, but chosen depending on schemes. (Options I used were Ronin, Soulstone Miner, Large Archnid, convict gunslinger and Johan. I would add gunsmith now its out)

Turn one involved the totem linking to Rasoputina and then giving teh Golem +2 armour. Snowstorm then moved the whole crew 2" forward, and then called them all into base contact with him 6" forward. He then would move a furtehr 6" and call the Golem up to be about 3" short of the middle of the table with Armour 4 and soft cover.

The gamin uses Bite of winter and the Silent one is used to increase range and heal if needed.

It manged to get my Golem into the enemies deployement zone on turn 3 and destroy some evidence

The only game I lost was Reconnoter Vs Hamelin, and that was called on time. I'd managed to kill Hamelin by turn 3, and was just trying to chase the remaining signifigant models.

Id say with my limited experiences with Kaeris, and experience against Rasputina, go for always max SS, they can both use a lot of stones and it becomes harder to grantee the hits with a cheatable flip, which is something you want with both of those models:)

• 2 weeks later...

I played a 35ss game and fielded the following:-

Rasputina

Wendigo

2x Silent one

Snow storm

1x Ice gamin

1x December acolyte

with the exception of december acolyte they all have frozen heart therefore allowing rasputina to cast from nearly any model in her crew giving her an almost unlimited radius.... at the cost of -3 ca (-1 through silent ones) and that synergy worked well I kept my ice golem alive for 3 combat phases against perdita due to silent ones north wind spell

yeah I believe it was very well worth it i did make an error in last post though its ice wind not north wind and it was supposed to be ice gamin not golem..... as for wendigo as a totem I noticed that everyone seems to favor the essence of power... I believe the fact it first has to link with the master is a waste as it takes an action where it could be more useful being able to move.. admittedly the + to casting and damage flips is a bonus, compared to a totem that can be cast through even at -3 her crew synergy works better considering she has low mobility, so in asking if I could/would drop wendigo in favor of something else then my answerr is no for 2ss he is far too useful as a fronty line shock troop as is the ice gamin tactically they are very worth the 4pts you pay for them as ice mirror is a mighty ability you pair that with the silent ones north wind which gives all frozen heart models +3 to ca and 3" to range she then gets more ability to hurl damage at her opponents