The Road to Adepticon 2012

Tauwolf

Paint break continues apace. I finished up my second Ronin today at blazing speed compared to the first one, and.. holy crap. The difference in my painting from my first Ronin to this model is amazing to me. After I matte coated this Ronin, however, all of my highlighting got flattened, so I'll be tossing another highlight on before I'm totally finished.

post-8704-13911922774159_thumb.jpg

Tauwolf based the models for both of us, and this little Ronin was looking a little wobbly. Luckily, there was a purity seal for her to tread on.. I mean, to prop her up. O:-)

Also, Tauwolf and I played a 1 on 1 match tonight with our respective Adepticon crews. My piglet was the MVP after I strapped a sword on him and ran him up to Seamus. He managed to throw a few stabs in before a Ronin came up and finished him off. To be fair, I was getting ALL the cards I needed and poor Tauwolf could barely activate. But, all's fair in love and puppets.

Edited by LaFemmeGeekita

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd toss a WIP photo up here of my Pokey Vik. I didn't like the wings that were provided, so instead of putting those on her, Fullborer found me some GW wings from a Dark Elf helm (I believe). I pinned those to her back, then greenstuffed over it so it looked seamless, then covered up all of my beautiful greenstuffery with some clock parts (also compliments of Fullborer). Originally she had a wind-up key as well, but that came loose during transport (or sometime during the stomping I gave Tauwolf last night), so I chopped it off and called it a day.

post-8704-13911922774417_thumb.jpg

I love the finished look, but all night at our game store, we had Malifaux players coming over going, "Is that a Kaeris puppet?!?!" I'm ok with that, though, since I absolutely LOVE the Kaeris model. Now if only Vik could breathe fire...

Not the best pic of those Pokey gears. They look freaking sweet and have lots of depth and layering in person. Can't wait to see the finished painted Pokey.

And yeah, she whooped me last night. I had a somewhat strong early push and then I was on my heels and running for my endangered life. Side note: 2-player map #2 is a really fun map to play (http://www.puppet-wars.com/maps.php?MN=Map-2&MP=Two-Players&MU=false&M=11,16,23,28,34,41,45,56,58,62,73,76,82&WB=15,77,88&SW=36,54).

Got my Green Teddy almost done last night. Just need to do the Hooded Rider and my Adepticon shoebox is done. I'm also painting up a master for someone, so I need to get that done also. Maybe we should try to get all the masters done.... hmmmmm. LFG, you take Lady J and I'll take Pandora?

Edited by Tauwolf

More Paint Break Updates!

I was originally going to make his bird blue, but I decided on a pigeon for a few reasons. Number one, the upgrade is called "That darn pigeon!", and number two, I kind of just wanted to paint a pigeon because their markings are pretty. I also volunteer at a wildlife rehabilitation facility on the weekends, and we have a pigeon named Frances that we use for educational programs. So here is my Austringer and his pigeon Frances!

post-8704-1391192278456_thumb.jpg

Edited by LaFemmeGeekita

Like the change to pokey vik, and I agree, the color choices are really cool, especially Ronin's hair. I also really like the darker shadow / darker color you used on the punk zombie white cloth shirt / skirt / whatever area. I didn't much like the model or the way mine came out, but I really like yours...so maybe it was my painting that ruined mine. Good thing I have another one just waiting to be painted.

That robe thing was easy. Paint it all P3 Menoth White Highlight, wash with GW Sepia wash, then when the wash is about 80% dry hit the brightest spots with the Menoth White Highlight again. Use some dark brown in the holes and maybe glaze some into the deepest folds. Easy peasy.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

More Paint Break Updates!

Man that leather coat looks freaking sweet.

Well, we leave for Adepticon in two days. Lots to do before we get on the road, but my painting is on the homestretch. Hooded Rider is done, the Marcus I'm painting for a friend is almost done, and the Pandora I'm painting just to have all our masters finished is half done (pics of all of them will be posted before we leave).

It's been a fun Road to Adepticon. Lots of great games locally with LFG and fullborer, and it's nice to have my painting mojo back. It's a shame Dennis won't be able to play in the tournament, but it'll be great to see him anyways. Not sure what Dave's plans are, but I can't wait to see his Hooded Rider in person, and have some beers and good times with him and all the friends I don't get to see nearly enough of.

Looking forward to meeting Nilus and the rest of the forum crew that will be there. Really looking forward to getting some side games of PW in!

Hope you all have enjoyed this... forum? blog? flog? blogrum? It's really helped LFG and I stay on track and we've enjoyed sharing our stuff with you all. It has also gotten us into some good playing habits, like analyzing our games and gameplay. I know next time I start a project I'll be using something like this to keep me motivated, and I encourage you all to do the same - if for no other reason than I really enjoy seeing them!

Don't worry, my next post will be more pretty pictures and less rambling. ;)

post-8704-13911922874859_thumb.jpg

Phew. Done.

This model looks much better in person. There is a lot of subtle blending in the wings that I couldn't photograph well (Dammit Jim, I'm a teacher, not a photographer!) and I tried the best I could to correct for it in Gimp, but alas. Also, the gears on her back are different colors. One is copper and one is bronze, and two are different shades of silver. I accomplished this by painting them all the same color silver (P3 Pig Iron) and then washing with Ogryn Flesh, Badab Black, and Gryphonne Sienna. It makes a nice natural metal color!

More to come, but seeing as it is 1 am the night before Adepticon and I still have to work tomorrow, it's bed time. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the con on Sunday!

Well, Adepticon 10 is behind us and seemed to be a raging success. I love seeing all my friends from around the country (and overseas), and love meeting new people and experiencing new games. Adepticon is always one of my favorite weekends of the year.

LFG and I demoed the game for six people and there are six new PW fans. People seemed to love the custom board and alternate cards.

LaFemmeGeekita and I had a seriously intense and brutal game to more or less decide the tournament on Sunday. I had an early Teddy menace on her Pokey, but she countered it and went on the offensive. I fought off three attacks on Seamus, and with him down to one stitch left, my Bete Noir made a suicide run on Pokey. She played the red joker for defense and I had the red joker to counter for the win. Super awesome game.

It was a really small (4 players) round-robin tournament. Sunday events tend to suffer at the end of the long and incredibly busy adepticon weekend. Even the big warhammer 40k events tend to experience lots of no-shows. I have a feeling it's going to grow next year.

Howdy from the adepticon puppet wars tourney organizers. Just wanted to thank Lisa, Brian and Chris for coming over to my little toybox and teaching the new puppet puppet how to play with us. I look forward to seeing you all again and maybe get a game in. Lisa and Brian, your painting is da papa loco bomb!

Thanks again for coming out guys. The hardest part of the Sunday tournament(other then the disappointment with the lack of partipation) was the fact that none of us were qualified to be paint judges for you work. :).

I'm glad Shadowopal managed to pull in some ringers who knew a thing or two about painting. And I am very happy he stepped up to take care of running all my Puppet Wars related tasks at the con. It was one less thing on my already very full plate

LFG and I demoed the game for six people and there are six new PW fans. People seemed to love the custom board and alternate cards.

Thanks again for the demos (and patience in playing with us)! I think Brooke and I may end up playing this more than Malifaux now. Quick, small footprint, and still TONS of fun. Hopefully our other gaming friends will hop on board so there will be even more PWs fans in IA!

Started to see pictures of the Malifaux games, tables, etc... Did anyone take any pictures of all the Puppet shenanigans?

@Vmag, I agree and totally support your decision to play Puppet Wars all the time.

Shadowopal did, but I stole his camera cable apperently. :) So it will be a few days till they are up.

Thanks again for the demos (and patience in playing with us)! I think Brooke and I may end up playing this more than Malifaux now. Quick, small footprint, and still TONS of fun. Hopefully our other gaming friends will hop on board so there will be even more PWs fans in IA!

It was awesome meeting you guys. Lisa was like, "well it's too bad they don't live closer...." We'll have to hook up next year at Adepticon and play our new favorite game :)

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Started to see pictures of the Malifaux games, tables, etc... Did anyone take any pictures of all the Puppet shenanigans?

I have some I'll try to get posted