VonSchills gets the Shaft

CannonFodder

I played a game last night, Vonschills vs McM

:vonschill .....VS.....:mcmourning

Deliver a message.. / .....Distract

Bodyguard............../.....Framed for Murder:hidden (Bette Noir)

+2 SS....................../.....McM Scheme: get 5 body parts from enemies.

This was my first time trying McM, and I must admit, never knew how has her rips threw people.

Turn 1 was not much, at then end of turn we both played a mini game of who had the worst hand, I had BJ,1,2,3,4,4 and won that game.

Turn 2 was basically both of us completely splitting our forces and had 2 combats within 6 inches of each table edge. I started and Mortimer triggered a dog rush on Convicted gun slinger and Freikorps trapper. Mostly a stall tactic and stops them from killing me at range. they killed 1 dog, Bette Noire appeared Slit Freiorps jugular making my opponent discard 2 cards. Von Schills appears and kills her, and its hard discision to let a 9 SS model die so early in a game for 1 VP point, but let her go.

T2 other half: His Jack Daw moves up and puts in his aura near McM. I play if safe and hold back from charge range Taelor and Freikorps Librarian. By this time his hand is down to 2 cards. I have 2 crooked men do cave ins on Jack, and the Chiwawa does the 2 wds spell from McM. McM does it 3 times. Eating away most of his SS. He completely acknowledges moving JD up was a mistake.

T3: Taelor charges, and take a pot shot at McM, the plan was user her and let Hard to kill keep her alive fr next turn deliver a message. I have McM do the spell that lets everyone get :+fate:+fate. She doesn't survive the surgery. there side of the table is fairly quiet, my dogs die.

T4: McM moves up and takes out Freikorps, continues to my opponents deployment zone luring my opponent away from my deployment zone (remember I have Distract). JD and Von Schills, and gun slinger give her chase.

T5: I lose initiative, JD does his Aura of no cheating no Ss (I have red joker and 3 other cards 11+, did I ever mention I HATE JD). McM fails Moral check, I flipped a 7 when I needed an 8, but with JD there, I had no choice. I move 2 inches to table edge. Von Schills delivers a message, and the Gun Slinger delivers a message of own, Declaring that Taelor was was his girl. I move up crooked men to hopefully win initiative and charge, and stop VonSchills from making it to my deployment Zone. My opponent reminds me that VonSchills gets free breakaways.

T6: I win Initiative, I review my cards, remember its my first time playing Res. and I see the Shaft ability. I activate the Crooked man who was going to charge Von Schills. I drop 2 markers in spots he has to run by to make it to my deployment zone. If Von Schills goes too far away around he fails to make it to my deployment zone. He goes just a little too close to a shaft, and pulls a 9, and gets the shaft (paralysed).

Game ends

Von Schills earns 2 VP for body guard, +2 for Deliver a message on turn 5

McM: get 1 VP for framed for murder, +2 for McM Scheme, and +2 VP for distract.

McM 5 / Von Schills 4

:mcmourning

...Champion

I was playing Von Schill on this game, and have to say as most games against CannonFolder, it was a blast.

Admittedly, I made quite a few mistakes in the game, while he played a solid strategy, so his victory was well deserved, but having those shafted markers showing up on the last turn (first time I played against crooked man) was a really (bad) surprise... :)

All in all, great fun! Congratz again to CannonFolder.

Crooked Men can be nasty that's for sure. Congrats to Cannonfodder for the win.

I'm puzzled by letting Bête Noire die though. Putting your most expensive minion as the Frame for Murder target seems like a bad idea, especially if you don't announce the scheme. Why not put the scheme on one of the dogs or a Crooked and then shove a cheap model in Von Schill's face and make him deal with it.

If you definitely wanted it on Bête Noire, maybe she could have got a few turns of use before you let her die. As it was, you chose to play with a 9ss disadvantage from turn 2, so the win is even more impressive.

Mike

Crooked Men can be nasty that's for sure. Congrats to Cannonfodder for the win.

I'm puzzled by letting Bête Noire die though. Putting your most expensive minion as the Frame for Murder target seems like a bad idea, especially if you don't announce the scheme. Why not put the scheme on one of the dogs or a Crooked and then shove a cheap model in Von Schill's face and make him deal with it.

If you definitely wanted it on Bête Noire, maybe she could have got a few turns of use before you let her die. As it was, you chose to play with a 9ss disadvantage from turn 2, so the win is even more impressive.

Mike

The basic strategy is that if a minion kills her you can use her ability to stay alive, and if a master kills her you attack the master with slow to die and gets VP, hopefully slitting jugular. Also you play very aggressively with her and always throw her at you opponents master. I admit Turn 2 is a little early in the game for her to die, you hope she does a bit more damage before she goes. The biggest down fall of this strategy is that you accidentally kill the master before he kills her losing you the VP.

I'd still rather throw a dog at Von Schill, pick up the VP when he kills it, pop out Bête Noire from the death AND go for his jugular, keeping my most expensive model on the table. Best of both worlds surely?

I agree in principle but its not too hard for your opponent to take out dog with minion first, especially in larger point games. I admit I would not try this tactic in anything less than a 35 SS game.

Not sure if I am reading it right.

But since von Schill survived I am not sure you played McM`s sheme right...

"That one is a keeper" says those 5 body parts has to come from enemy master/henchman/totem... So basicly, you would have to hit von Schill actually five times if you haven't killed him...

And a general note:

It would be nice to state both crews at the beginning. ;)

Edited by Parzival

Not sure if I am reading it right.

But since von Schill survived I am not sure you played McM`s sheme right...

"That one is a keeper" says those 5 body parts has to come from enemy master/henchman/totem... So basicly, you would have to hit von Schill actually five times if you haven't killed him...

Ahhhhh, :) that makes McM scheme a lot harder to achieve! He never hit Von Schill... He got the body parts from the librarian, talor and jack daw. In any case, since it was the first game he played with McM, and the first time I played against that scheme, it is an acceptable mistake.

The crews were (if I remember correctly):

Von schill, Librarian, Jack Daw, Convict Gunslinger, Trapper and Talor

McMorning, Bete Noir, Chiuaua, 2 crooked man, Mortimer, 3 canine remains

I just said it so you play it right next time... :)

The sheme is quiet ok against some masters who use more totems (Colette or Soomer for example) or if someone plays master+henchman. It is not the best choice against von Schill since he most likely doesn't use any totem. So it most likely ends up becoming a more difficult assassionate sheme... ;)

Edited by Parzival