Beginning Ramos

Stu Da Baker

I have my hands on a very basic Ramos crew: the Steamborg, some spiders (swarms too), a Brass Arachnid, Joss, an Electrical Creation, and the man himself.

Now, I've only played a couple games and it's rather amateurish of me to assume that I'm going to be good at this game right off the bat. I've failed a lot, and some of that has to do with my Warmachine background: I'm afraid to throw a model into the fray because I'm expecting the other guy to be able to activate everything on his side after I make my move. I keep forgetting that nearly everything can take a few slaps if I play my cards right, and the alternating activations really throw me off.

That aside, a big question that I have is about how he is best played on the field. Does Ramos like to be right in the action up front or somewhere in the middle?

I've had some rather disgusting failure at trying to use him as a spider factory from the backfield, so I'm pretty sure he's not meant to hang out back there.

Similarly, does his crew tend to operate better within a certain range of him, or is it better to let things wander afar?

Any advice is appreciated, this game has got me totally stoked (even though my Brass Arachnid doesn't).

Thanks in advance!

I recomend getting the mobile toolkit as well. Ramos likes to be back a bit use the steamborg for some protection and keep spiders (one) small spider near for the emergency heaing flip off combat medic. Remember the electrical creation is a spirit and can pass through models and that counts as base contact. Ramos is one of my favorite masters, he has some dirty tricks and interesting tactics .

I like to run ramos with an essence of power, 2 miners 2 large arachnids and kaeris with a student at 40ss... with 6ss in the pool.

its an agressive build, ramos moving and blasting away either using the essence to boost ramos or kaeris, either way granting arcing screen,

miners are game winners! their bury ability allows them to keep abilities on them so a defensive stance or overdrive stays on them ;)

a pair of large arachnids are more survivable than a steambourg,,, and drop 3 scrap each!

kaeris herself deals alot of damage being fast (student)

its a strange list, but it works... and i ike ti because its different! :)

if you play this list you do however need to try and hold on to tomes of 8 or higher incase you need to pop out a few cheeky arachnids late game or an electrical creation.

also once his avatar is avaliable grab wardens! tank up on ss in your pool, and if your brawling take colette! his robot obey (2) action will effect doves which have a 10" move or magicians duel and also coryphee.... and whatever they have bought to play with too

hope my random thoughts help :)

When the cards are right the brass arachnid is amazing, but only if the cards are right, The mobile toolkit eliminates the needs for suits so the cards are in your favor. Ramos runs purely off :tomes adding another model that needs a high :tomes hurts him.

As for range, you want him 10 inches or so from you opponents minions allowing for ranged spell, and to summon an electrical creation them either move or blow itself up immediately.

The duet, is a single piece of art that needs no support. Which is why its so good. Being a construct is extra but even with the the brass arachnid Ramos's crew does very little for it, the arachnid is usually too far away to give reactivate. In any crew bring a model into play as important as a master.

Also it should be noted with the mobile toolkit ramos can "surge" trigger EVERY spell he slings. This in itself is a great asset because it lets you craft your hand that the rest of your crew can use.

I have been running a gimmick list with performers and ramos, waiting to get some corphyees. Mainly because I have found rarely if ever do I use stones with ramos, sometimes I even burn them just to flip the initiative even if its not a big turn. Having other models in the crew with use soul stone is something that I am experimenting with and it seems like a good idea.

Really, if you want to run a Spider Factory list, you NEED the Mobile Toolkit. If you only have the Brass Arachnid or Essence of Power right now, then it's better to play Ramos as more of an offensive piece, relying on Electrical Fire for some good ranged damaged. Ramos is effectively an 8 attack with that spell, which is highest base attack bonus in the game for a ranged attack (only Nino and maybe 1 or 2 others can beat that). Plus, Ramos has SS to boost that when necessary.

The Brass Arachnid is a nice piece, but honestly, if I'm going to run it, I almost always include Rusty Alyce in my crew as well, so you have better chances at getting the high tomes you need to cast Reactivate.