Ignite vs Icy Burst

Mr_Smigs

Question

13 answers to this question

Yeah, you've got it Smigs.

Kaeris will drop Burning Counters on anything damaged by her attacks or blast markers because it says "damaged". The Golem's trigger only affects the original target of the attack, because only that model is the "defender". Anything caught under the blast marker isn't a defender, it's just an innocent bystander. Well, maybe not innocent. :P

Yeah, you've got it Smigs.

Kaeris will drop Burning Counters on anything damaged by her attacks or blast markers because it says "damaged". The Golem's trigger only affects the original target of the attack, because only that model is the "defender". Anything caught under the blast marker isn't a defender, it's just an innocent bystander. Well, maybe not innocent. :P

doesn't this conflict with the ruling ratty just gave?

doesn't this conflict with the ruling ratty just gave?

No.

Triggers are things like 'December's Sigh' on the Ice Golem. The fact that Kaeris' weapon dishes out Burning Counters is not a trigger, it's a Weapon ability.

Honestly though, it has little to do with triggers specifically, which is why I responded to the post in the first place. I felt like Ratty's response only answered half your question.

Kaeris' weapon gives burning counters to everything specifically because the weapon ability says so. The Ice Golem's trigger only affects the original target, because the trigger specifies 'defender'. Now, if Kaeris' weapon said 'defender damage by this weapon', rather than 'models' (assuming the card does not change from how the book reads), then it would work differently.

I don't think that's right, Lobo.

The blast rule reads:

"Any additional effects suffered by the target, such as the effects of Triggers, are not suffered by the other models touched by the :blast unless specifically stated otherwise."

Whether it's a trigger or ability is irrelevant - it's an additional effect. And just saying "damage" doesn't count as specifically stating otherwise. If it were, I'd expect it to say something directly about blast markers.

No, it's not specific. Something specific would be like "Models damaged by blasts also gain a Burning token." By requiring it to be specific, the ability must reference the blast markers directly.

I could be wrong - and would welcome it even, honestly, since it's got implications for Seamus' Splatterpunk as well. But I don't think the distinction between "target" and "model" qualifies as a specific mention.

"Models damaged by the attack gain a burning token" is pretty specific - if you've been damaged by the attack you gain a burning token. Blasts are part of the attack.

I was under the impression that there was some argument at the moment as to whether blasts actually were part of the attack, specifically related to type(i.e. is a ranged blast still ranged, etc.)

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25021

The consensus seemed to be that they were not, for the most part.

I was under the impression that there was some argument at the moment as to whether blasts actually were part of the attack, specifically related to type(i.e. is a ranged blast still ranged, etc.)

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25021

The consensus seemed to be that they were not, for the most part.

they are for purpose of this, same as weapons with poison who have blast, the blast itself can give poison. same as the buring counters