Sonnia's Scheme Question.

knoerzer

Question

Hello everybody! So last night I was playing in our league, and afterwords fellow guild members and I were talking and came up with an idea that we must know is legal or not. Sonnia has a scheme which states she has to turn two ENEMY characters into witchling stalkers. Now we figured we could use the Lawyer, and two desperate mercs, and the Lawyer can cast his spell making the desperate mercs UNFRIENDLY, then Sonnia can turn them into witchling stalkers. Can this be done?

Sorry I dont have all the names to the spells and such, but I don't have my cards or rule book with me.

18 answers to this question

Yeah that is the only thing that is different, but we thought that if it is unfriendly, then it would be an enemy....

No I do not think so as some spells can only target friendly models......so if you make some one unfriendly then you can target them with your buff spell..............but that does not make them an enemy.

okay. Thank you guys, it was just an idea that we came up with lol I was going to try it next Thursday if I could do it, but I will have to come up with another crew to fight the dreamer.

You guys did see the Errata about the Alps though, right? I mean, the Dreamer has plenty of other tricks too, and to be honest, Sonnia isn't too terrible against him, since the Witchlings will take stuff down with them, and Sonnia can nuke Alps or Daydreams with ease (bounce Blast damage onto the Dreamer if you can).

But, yeah, he's a tough nut to crack for Sonnia sometimes. Consider running a Guardian to protect her. ;)

Actually Thursday night was again unique. The Guild (which I play for) was attacked by 3 people again! So I ended up defending against the Neverborn and Outcasts. The outcasts did not make it through all 6 rounds, but the Neverborn (Dreamer crew) and I tied it up in the 7th round. So next thursday I have to face the dreamer crew again. The only way I was able to tie him was Nino and Samael. Nino got off trigger happy enough times to kill Lord Chompy Bits, and then Samael killed the Dreamer. So I literally got lucky!

The problem is that Neutral already existed before they made that "unfriendly" rule.

As it stands Neutral states that the model does not belong to any crew (Nicodem's mindless zombies) and therefore is not friendly OR and enemy and can be attacked.

However, Lucius says nothing of Neutral so we've constantly ruled it as they are just not friendly, which means they are more or less like Ryle.

They aren't enemies, they just can't be targeted by spells that would normally target a friendly model.

Yeah, its a great way to amuse the other player (who can ignore the damage thanks to 'A Ghost in Malifaux'...)

:P:

Doh, yes. Always forget that one.

However, you can use the nifty trick of blocking LOS from Sonnia to any other Nightmares and then using her ability to ignore LOS against high Ca targets, right? That might get you to being able to shoot just the Dreamer. If you can pull off the placement well enough. Might be able to use some of your own models to block the LOS. ;)

Doh, yes. Always forget that one.

However, you can use the nifty trick of blocking LOS from Sonnia to any other Nightmares and then using her ability to ignore LOS against high Ca targets, right? That might get you to being able to shoot just the Dreamer. If you can pull off the placement well enough. Might be able to use some of your own models to block the LOS. ;)

Yeah, that would work, assuming no Nightmare in 3" also has Ca 7 or more...

The Blast spreading works great on Pandora though - Its great fun dropping damage onto her without needing the Wp duel...

I got in a discussion about this because of mindless zombies and Ratty cleared it up on friendly and enemy models.

There are only two types of models, friendly and enemy. There is no such thing as neutral.

Someone else on the forum described this one to me. As I understand it, the Lawyer's spell makes it so they are not a legal "friendly" target, however, they are not now considered unfriendly.

In other words, they are still friendly, except when it would benefit the model's controller.

brdparker is right. Models you don't control are enemy models. As with the Lawyer's spell the model is still under your control, it is still a friendly model. It's just if a spell or talent says "target friendly model" you are not allowed to target that model. If the action says "target model," then you can still target it.

Well I mean no disrespect to Ratty, but that only makes things more confusing sometimes.

What I usually tell people is to follow the book. If it has to end up on the forums, then it's too complicated already.

That's just how we ruled it. Until I see it in some printed script that's what it will be.

Neutral is on their card and in the book, therefore it does exist.

While the debate on whether neutral exists is interesting at the end of the day its not really an issue here.

To be an enemy model you need to be one of three things(RM pg 13)

A model is an enemy when:

• It is currently under another Crew’s control.

• It was hired by another Crew and is currently under that Crew’s control.

• It was brought into play by an enemy model and is currently under that Crew’s control.

The Lawyers spell does none of these three things so the model is still not an enemy.